Search Unity

Getting confused from the FAQ

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by gol-d-ace, Aug 23, 2017.

1. gol-d-ace

gol-d-ace

Hello ! Sorry in advance for my poor english ^^" , currently i am student (self learning from internet as a hobby) and there is something i need to confirm from what i read on the FAQ, so if i pay everything once for the pro i get to keep that for life (do that mean Unity will give me some sort of licence that say it is mine to keep ?), but do this apply too for the Plus version? when they say there is no Royality, from my point of view that is not true since we have to share revenue per title of game we sold with unity on the plus and personnal version. Unless i misunderstood something ^^". Beside there is something that confuse me when we buy a version of Unity, what is a "Essentials Packs" ? Is it some sort of plug in ? I rather create my own pack (i am surprise from the price when we add the pack, if people want to create mobile game or 2D game, do they really need those pack??). Thanks again for reading =D ! Hope someone can explain to me (in french could help me). Personnaly i have some knoweledge and skill from using C++ and SFML for my university project. I have some little experience in the past using Unity3D when they first release for free on the same time as UDK.

Edit :
    I wish to work in a game company in the futur, so far i see a big part of the market many big company use either Unity3D or Unreal Engine 4 (from what i see on the website of afjv). I am interessed if someone wouldn't mind sharing their experience on the industrie =)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome!

I'm not sure which FAQ you were looking at, but it sounds like it's either out of date, or you're mixing old information with new. Unity no longer offers a one-time payment with permanent ownership license. Both Plus and Pro are now subscription licenses at $35 and $125 per month, respectively. Unity Personal is totally free, as in Free Beer.

None of the licenses require you to pay royalties on the games you create with Unity. Personal may be used if your game-related income is under $100,000 / year, Plus may be used if it's under $200,000, and anything above that requires Pro. Plus and Pro have some additional bonuses in the Services.

Essentials are sort of a misguided attempt to lure people into subscribing who may be on the fence. I've previously expressed my disappointment with the program, and my recommendation would be that you can safely ignore them. Unless you're already making a good bit of income from your game development, I'd recommend sticking with Personal as you're starting out, and look into whatever license would be appropriate for you later on.

Bill_Martini likes this.
  3. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

You only pay after you exceed $100,000.00 in revenue. Being new and a hobbiest, I don't think this should be a concern.

Anything in the Asset store is available for you to use in your projects without royalties. Some are free and others will cost. There is no requirement to use anything in the asset store and if you have the talent to produce all of the content needed for your projects, you should do so. Many, including myself lack the talent to make quality 3D models or compose music for their projects and such, so the Asset store enables us to easily find the resources needed to make our games. It's also a time thing, producing your own content will drastically slow the progress of your projects.

4. gol-d-ace

gol-d-ace

Thanks you Schneider21 for the quick reply and the warm welcome =D ! I found out it is possible to own the software from their FAQ "I don’t like subscribing to software I want to actually own the license" :
    https://unity3d.com/unity/faq/4520
    I didn't completly understand their subscribing political but it sound like it is possible to own the pro version if we pay everything (paying the 24 month once instead of paying each month) once (honestly the price shocked me, more pricy than it was in the past, without taking account of the asset). So if we can own the pro do that apply too for the Plus version? The price on the Plus is more interessing, but the fact they will controle how much we gain per title and share the fiscal revenu :
    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-u...ercial-game-with-Unity-Free-Personal-Edition-
    I doubt their word (unless i didn't understand what is a royality), even if they say royality-free, i don't believe it when they say if we earn more than 100 000 euros per year, we have to share with Unity3D. A lot of thing sur change.

I was wondering if i pay for one month the pro, do that mean the next month it revert back to personal function. It was my dream since chilhood to see my game on console.

Sorry again for my poor english ^^" , i lack some vocabulary, when you say "permanent ownership license", what do that mean? You mean we got to keep temporary the license?

Thanks you for the suggestion =D ! That is what i am planning to do by keeping using the personnal version to improve myself.

I have question for you Schneider21 =) , have you try Unreal Engine 4 and Cryengine? It feel like the industry mainly use either Unity3D and Unreal.

Edit :
    Thanks you Bill_Martini, so there is royality after all, we have to share revenue per title with Unity3D, their political is no different than Unreal Engine.

Now i see what is an Asset, i was getting worry with the huge price along subscribing.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, this is incorrect. There are no royalties, no revenue share. It's just that if you make more than some large amount of money per year on your Unity projects, you need to get a Unity Pro license.

6. gol-d-ace

gol-d-ace

Thanks for the information JoeStrout, i was wondering if it is possible to use C++ instead of C#. when you say Pro license, but they don't sold anymore unless if we paying everying once instead of subscring for the pro, do that mean we got a licencse for good ??

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

There is a way to acquire a permanent license to Unity, but it only applies to Unity Pro, it requires a subscription of at least 24 consequtive months, and only gives you access to the version you had when you decide to stop the subscription.

Here is the relevant portion from the FAQ.

Capture.PNG

8. gol-d-ace

gol-d-ace

Thanks RyiahSo ! we can't get a permanent license to Unity Plus, if i am not mistaken, we have to keep paying for 24 consequitive months or paying everything once the 2 years worth in advance to have the right to have that license? Thanks for been patient with my poor english, i just need to be sur ^^" .

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just go personal and forget the rest of it. When you actually start making money off of Unity games, then you can look at getting plus or pro.

eXonius likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can't get a permanent license at all for Unity Plus. Getting a permanent license after 24 months is only for Unity Pro.

11. gol-d-ace

gol-d-ace

Thanks for the quick reply ! I guess i will use Unity3D personnal version for now.

eXonius likes this.