Search Unity

GetComponent of disabled object

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by any_user, Oct 21, 2014.

1. any_user

any_user

I know that GetComponent (including GetComponentInChildren, GetComponentInParent in 4.6) only return active objects. Is there a way to get one inactive component without using GetComponents(true)[0] to avoid allocating memory of the returned component array?

Edit: I mean only GetComponentInChildren and GetComponentInParent - GetComponent finds components even if the gameobject is inactive.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    BMRG14, john_unity389 and AzureByte like this.
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's no such thing as inactive components; only GameObjects can be active or not. Components can be disabled, but GetComponent does return disabled components. It also returns components of inactive GameObjects.

--Eric

3. any_user

any_user

Sorry I didn't mean GetComponent<T>(), but all the other ones, just confused it when writing.

GetComponentInChildren<T>() and GetComponentInParent<T>() only return components in active gameobjects. I specifically had the problem with the new GetComponentInParent in 4.6.

4. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Necro bump - 100% relevant to me and 1st link from Google.

I discovered this bug as well. Normally I can GetComponent for objects that are not set active. However, for getting the children, it doesn't return any results. IS this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Deleted User, akuno and cxode like this.
  5. damdor

damdor

GetComponentInChildren has overloaded version with parameter "includeInactive"

6. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

You rock man this is exactly it

Capzeze, akuno and Pablomon like this.
  7. Zullar

Zullar

I have a bug where GetComponentInParent<T> is failing to find a component.

GetComponentInParent<T> returns null //BUG!!!
    transform.parent.GetComponent<T> returns the component properly

Shouldn't GetComponentInParent<T> and transform.parent.GetComponent<T> behave identically? I'm unsure why the former is buggy, but the latter works properly. Bug is possibly related to UNET and how objects are disabled briefly during initialization until "spawned".

CloudyVR likes this.
  8. Adjuvant

Adjuvant

Bump this, would be good to have same overloads on all types of GetComponent(s) in self, parents and children.

9. Zullar

Zullar

10. samizzo

samizzo

So it seems the real bug here is that `GetComponentInParent` is only searching active GameObjects. It would be great if `GetComponentInParent` had an overload like `GetComponentsInChildren` where you can choose to include inactive GameObjects.

11. soulburner

soulburner

You should use GetComponentsInParent(true), it can take [true] as a parameter.

12. Estecka

Estecka

Thanks !
    Written plainly,
    this.GetComponentInParent<T>()
    becomes
    this.GetComponentsInParent<T> (true)[0]

That's not too ugly, but I still wish the single version had an overload to take disabled objects

Not exactly. `transform.parent.GetComponent` will only search for the first parent. `GetComponentInParent` will also search every grand-parents.

koriball, a436t4ataf and JonnyHilly like this.
  13. Pablomon

Pablomon

Awesome!

14. juansosantacoloma

juansosantacoloma

15. canyon_gyh

canyon_gyh

I have a bug where GetComponentInParent<T> is failing to find a component.when the gameObject is not active and dynamic bind <T> to the gameObject。Then GetComponentInParent is null.
    Thianks !

16. kaiyum

kaiyum

Stumbled across this issue just now. GetComponentInParent is buggy, it does not have any overloaded version that can let us control whether we want inactive gameobject's component or not. The default implementation will not find any component attached to gameobjects that are inactive. So the solution https://gist.github.com/kaiyumcg/0d053969ada9297bcb58375879ced0c0
    using GetComponentsInParent since it works.

mdrunk likes this.