Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GeoTiff to RAW

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by ApteryxK, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ApteryxK

ApteryxK

Hello ! It's the first that time I post here.
    I have a little problem that stops me from going further :
    I want to remake New Zealand In Unity in a 1/90 scale with the NASA SRTM Data.
    Then make the world a bit bigger with bigger ploys, as the game is low poly.
    My problem is the Geotiff convertion to RAW images :
    I am seriously lost, I tried 5 different ways but each time I get a little map with spikes everywhere, the global shape is there but the map itself is so spiky that I lag.
    Here are the data I use, they are perfect, they don't have any issue : http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp

I also saw Alastaira's page https://alastaira.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/importing-dem-terrain-heightmaps-for-unity-using-gdal/ but in fact the Console tells me too much command at once, then even if I execute the commands one by one I always get a very bad result. (spikes)
    Here is another problem : The data I got from Nasa are 9 tales of 6000x6000 resolution, unity doesn't support that much so I thought about to split them and get 4x9 (36) of 2000x2000 but ... This is very hard too I have no idea how to do it as I am new to this.
    I also saw in Alastaira's post a way to crop from coordinates : this is very good ,it is what I was looking for but the problem is that this guy is actually typing coordinates, but how ? Where can I find the right coordinates to split it correctly... ?

So in a short way my problems are :
    Convertion from Geotiff (tiff) to RAW (I can also make tiff to lst then lst to unity, but that's almost impossible too)
    Split my images into 4 tales each
    Stop having those weird spikes.

Thank you very much, you help would be very appreciated :)

2. frankrs

frankrs

If I remember correct you need to have the proper bit depth when importing into photoshop (though I'm not sure what that is without looking it up)

3. ApteryxK

ApteryxK

Well, after some research I found out that the easiest way is to use VTBuilder , import ASC files into it then export the heightmap to RAW which is directly compatible, or to BMP with which you can change the mod to grayscale then to 16bits and then do a grassian blur if you want to smoothen it, and finally save as RAW file. (in photoshop).

4. ibtsamali

ibtsamali

hello can u guide me how can i convert geotiff to raw files

5. gaggibueb

gaggibueb

old post - but i'm trying the same now.
    To convert geotiff to raw i suggest GDAL, or if you only have a little number of terrains, you can do it manually in photoshop.
    To resize the raws to a 2^n size i use FME. Highly recommended if you work a lot with geodata. You can also resize the textures to 2^n+1 size in the same workbench.