Search Unity

General problem with scripts: The associated script cannot be loaded

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zape, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zape

Zape

Hi!

I have been working on a project for two weeks. All the scripts attached to any gameobject where working properly until, without any change made, all showed this error: The associated script cannot be loaded, please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script, even in Unity's scripts like Camera Smoothfollow one...

There is not any compiling errors in them but i cant even see them in the component menu or drag and drop them in the inspector. I have tried a new project and the same scripts work properly.

I have tried reimporting all, I have installed Unity's last version, i have rebooted my PC but the errors are still there. I cant execute the project in the inspector or build it in any way.

Has anybody notice the same issue. Any idea or suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.

2. Zape

Zape

SOLVED- I took all the scripts to a folder out of the project,deleted them, built project, reimported all the scripts from the backup folder one by one... And they were all working again. A bit weird but worked for me.

3. Aleshotgun

Aleshotgun

I got the same problem today, for the second time since i've using unity, I haven't yet tryed to reimport all the scripts, but this is really annoying, so I have to do this all the time that happens? I think this have to be fixed as soon as possible!

4. LordDarkmoon

LordDarkmoon

I have the same problem. Suddenly the scripts stop working with the error: The associated script cannot be loaded, please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script. I didn't change the scripts at all.
    This is very annoying. But it seems there is no patch for this?

This is getting worse and worse... I don't know what causes this, but when I tried to build my project, unity gave me errors on some scripts. I deleted all of them and when I built the project again, Unity gave me errors on totally different scripts. Scripts I not even used in my project.

This happened to me for the third time today! I did not even touch those scripts... Some of them are standard Unity scripts like Character Controller etc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  5. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

Was having the exact same issue when moving scripts in and out of the assets folder. To fix just delete ALL the meta files in the assets folder and reopen your project. Unity should rebuild all the script references. Also make sure to remove all compile errors.

6. LegacyOfWax

LegacyOfWax

first time using unity and I got this. Really new to unity first time working with 3d games. this is a huge turn off for new beginner. I was looking at the solve solution at the top but i don't really know how to do that. where do i find the scrips to move them? then what do i delete? the scrips i moved or the project? and if you delete the scrips how do you get them back to import them again without have to re write them?

This happened when i was going through the learn project "stealth" at the first script for the game in Chapter 1 / 103 - Alarm lights.

any info on this would be great thanks!

fbanany, ialexxgeek, Gumpy54 and 5 others like this.
  7. Jaqal

Jaqal

Happens to me ateast once a week. Then it will suddenly go away.

AikiroOfficial likes this.
  8. isj126

isj126

I had a similar problem. I realized it occurred because I had moved some scripts using the mono develop view. I just deleted all the scripts and copy pasted them from a backup. Unity imported all the scripts again and they were working normally.

9. slagemer1

slagemer1

Had this trouble, f*cking tired, but had decision. At script i renamed "public class ..." where "..." - name of Script File.

10. iChealseaSmileU

iChealseaSmileU

This doesn't make sense.

11. RedUnityCat

RedUnityCat

Having the same issue. Also with the stealth tutorial project, having finished assignment 106. Finished the other tutorial projects without any hassle. Reimporting didn't help yet.

Also deleting all meta-files didn't help. There are no console errors.

I've also converted the scripts from UTF-8 to ANSI Coding, but to no avail.

OK. SOLVED: My bad. Filenames didn't match classnames.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  12. NLFUN204

NLFUN204

Im justing starting a new unity project it sais the associated script-cannot be loaded ive tried everything Help me pls!

13. ASTERWOLF

ASTERWOLF

This happened, tried some advice.. Now all my scripts are completely gone.. I'm so pissed...

DaCommanda likes this.
  14. MrGrieves

MrGrieves

I had the same problem. For me, it was because the script filename did not match the classname. Renaming the script according to the class fixed it up. Moving the script might have a similar effect, which would explain why restoring them from a backup is effective. Good luck.

ToniiS, rphong, JujuProdGames and 8 others like this.
  15. sakyum70

sakyum70

First you need to check to see if you class names are the same. (Without the .cs). Then you go into your main assets folder. Then you right click and hit re-import all. It might take a few hours but it gets rid of those errors!
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Sorry, i'm just testing out the code function.

yajasverma7 and ranci100 like this.
  16. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I have this problem too, I'm on the 5.0 beta, the script comes from my compiled dll. when i assign it to a gameObject, it gives me a warning box, what are the actual reasons for making this happen? this hasn't happened to me for a long while and right now its just showing up for some unknown reason...

EDIT: it was a bug... going into Inspector Debug mode and then to Inspector normal mode fixed the problem.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    t00t_Man likes this.
  17. miltonsegura

miltonsegura

This. I had overlooked it since most of my scripts are in Javascript.

Dankal and paperpancake like this.
  18. guavaman

guavaman

If you have code inside a preprocessor #if statement that doesn't compile even if that code shouldn't be compiled for the current platform, you'll get this error.

For example:

Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_ANDROID
    2.     if(true { // syntax error here
    3.     }
    4. #endif
    It's hard to detect if your build platform is set to something else so the code doesn't actually have to compile. Unity doesn't report this as an error when importing the script, but it will break any references if this is a Monobehaviour and you'll get the "Associated script cannot be loaded" error on play.

Daeneth, rpopic2 and shkar-noori like this.
  19. Tulsisvt

Tulsisvt

The class name and file name mismatch was the problem for me.. It works when the two are matched..

BarriaKarl, juiceAw, DcLite01 and 3 others like this.
  20. whitechili

whitechili

What i found to be the problem was that I had built the project into a folder in the assets directory of the project that was titled Builds. I deleted this builds folder and ALL errors went away. I think this is the problem Unity is having so just make sure you are building your project to a folder outside of your project folder (like to your desktop or a folder in documents titled UnityBuildsBrah)

21. SaltyDog

SaltyDog

RedUnityCat has provided the solution. Check your file names against your class names. Worked for me immediately. I created a script PlayerMovement and renamed it PlayerController, but the PlayerMovement class name remained.

virtuos-one likes this.
  22. jtonyhdz

jtonyhdz

Hi everyone!

I solve this problem opening the Console window manually, there you can see the errors that are causing the problem, fix them and the auto compiler will work again.

blairhoughton likes this.
  23. kervie24kervie

kervie24kervie

I hope this will help.. I also got that problem. I just reimport all assets and then it works again.

Tiffpang2025 likes this.
  24. KanraTaro

KanraTaro

This. I did this and my problems were solved, even a couple of bugs I didn't know how to fix were solved too!

25. martin2016

martin2016

check your filename script and public class.

Example for fixing error : filename script is "player.cs" and public class player : MonoBehaviour {

not >> filename script is "player.cs" and public class planton : MonoBehaviour {

alexandr13568 and NeoPaint like this.
  26. martin2016

martin2016

check your filename script and public class.

Example for fixing error : filename script is "player.cs" and public class player : MonoBehaviour {

not >> filename script is "player.cs" and public class planton : MonoBehaviour {

paperpancake likes this.
  27. D7Torres

D7Torres

For me, correcting an error in the script did the trick.

TGMstudios likes this.
  28. ZapharaArts

ZapharaArts

This information may be helpful if you are stuck. I am new to Unity and was having problems with scripts that appeared to compile fine but gave errors that they had compile errors when I tried to run the project. I copied the project and removed all scripts, adding them back one by one until I found the problem script and then had to go through the code until I found the problem line.

In my case, it was a struct with a parameterless constructor of this format:

public struct TestStruct
    {
    int x;
    public TestStruct()
    {
    x = 0;
    }
    }

This compiles without error - you can create a new project, create a new C# script, then add this to the end of the script and it will compile. However when you run it will tell you there is a compile error - afterwards I realized it was actually showing me where the error is but it's unclear why this doesn't get flagged from MonoDevelop when I compile. I had missed the error that appears at the bottom status bar when I run the project which then links me to the problem.

So I am curious if there is a reason MonoDevelop does not flag this as an error immediately? I understand that in C# parameterless structs should not be used. They were in my project as I was porting in from another language.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    astarrysky likes this.
  29. BradOZman

BradOZman

I have tried all of these things.

Im just trying to use the sample scenes downloaded from unity and I get this problem. If I click on the script in the inspector it show it highlighted in my assets folder.. Definitely there. Not my own scripts either freshly downloaded from vuforia site. Class names match the file names. Tried running as administrator tried all of the suggestions above. Please help me. I need this for an assignment lol. Cant get any of the vuforia scripts to recognize they are there in the inspector.

OK got it... created a new project again this time in the my documents folder provided by windows.. copied all the packages there.. re-imported and did it all again.. For some reason it only worked from the my documents folder provided in windows... Doesn't work from my other HD where I keep all my files usually.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  30. SSScripting

SSScripting

Hi you must verify the name of class.
    you should have the same name for the script and class

PeriklisPant and vaprodan like this.
  31. swap96

swap96

I was making a project on Unity 5.3.1 and this problem was not there but then for some reasons I had to switch over to Unity 5.2.3 and then this problem has started. The first time the project worked correctly and all scripts loaded successfully. But once I closed Unity and started it again then some of the scripts in camera and Gui Elements are not able to load. Is it because of going back to the previous version?

32. mattparkins

mattparkins

For me it was a case mismatch between classname and filename - case has to match. Funny thing is that I can't remember changing either the classname or filename and it worked previously. I suspect Unity has updated something that means that this issue now comes up.

paperpancake likes this.
  33. guavaman

guavaman

Another frustrating edge case, again with preprocessor #if:

Code (csharp):
    1. // FAILS
    2. #if UNITY_5_4_OR_NEWER
    3. if(someVar) {
    4. #else
    5. if(someOtherVar) {
    6. #endif
    7.     // Some code...
    8. } else {
    9.     // Some other code...
    10. }
    Code (csharp):
    1. // Succeeds
    2. #if UNITY_5_4_OR_NEWER
    3. if(someVar) {
    4.     // some code
    5. }
    6. #else
    7. if(someOtherVar) {
    8.     // some code
    9. }
    10. #endif
    11. } else {
    12.     // Some other code...
    13. }

34. MayorDump

MayorDump

I just had the same problem. Turns out all script names have to start with a capital letter. oops

35. Ultimate360

Ultimate360

Hi, I need help; I am new to Unity, I followed the Unity's space shooter tutorial. My scripts work before, now it's not working. I think I got this problem after some inconsistent line endings error pop up occurred in Mono-develop.

Actually, I don't know what's is line endings; the pop up error have drop down menu like:
    Windows (CR LF) <<< I selected this, I have no idea XD
    Macintosh (CR)
    Unix (LF)

Sometimes I confirm it with "Windows (CR LF)", sometimes I just close/cancel it. It seem I got no problem. I don't know what cause of this problem, I have no error in the code. Now I tried to removed my Component (script) from my game objects, now I can't put it back (see the images). Maybe also the file modification detected pop up window may the cause (see the images)? Please tell me what have I done wrong?

Here's my RandomRotator (script) anyway: (Nothing is wrong, right? All my scripts can not be loaded now)

------------
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class RandomRotator : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public float tumble;

private Rigidbody rb;

void Start()
    {
    rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    rb.angularVelocity = Random.insideUnitSphere * tumble;
    }
    }

Attached Files:

• U_01.png
      U_01.png
      File size:
      8.2 KB
      Views:
    • U_03.png
      U_03.png
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    • U_04.png
      U_04.png
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  36. guavaman

guavaman

It's very unlikely inconsistent line endings would cause it not to compile. I've never had that happen in all the years I've been using Unity on both Windows and OSX. Check the Unity console for an error message. Make sure error view is visible -- the Red (!) in the upper right corner of the console must be selected/highlighted. The error isn't necessarily in your RandomRotator script. The console will tell you which script has the error.

unity_vnBkXY2BEOH-iQ likes this.
  37. Ultimate360

Ultimate360

Oh, thank you guavaman, now my scripts working again; it's just my GameController script have defects as I actually don't follow the tutorial as I do some experiments. I just delete my GameController script.

(Oh nvm, you'll see all of your component scripts with "The associated script can not be loaded." error message when you close the Unity and reopen it again).

Anyway guavaman, thank you so much... you save my day! :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Student_tima likes this.
  38. yoyo696

yoyo696

me 2

39. waterkulerbrush

waterkulerbrush

That Sucks! I just started using Unity this week, Bought a udemy course for 20 bucks. Everythign is going great then all of a sudden, a trigger that was working 20 minutes prior no longer worked correctly. Spent the last 2 hours googling ways to debug and print to console only to realize what I thought in the first place, Unity Error.

Copied the scripts to my desktop, build and ran the game, closed it. Dragged the scripts back into unity, reattached them to the objects, boom, back in business. Pretty weird but i can deal with that goofy fix.

40. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

This happened to me today but there is NO way I can go back and re-attach everything. My project is huge. Is there no known fix for this?

41. massivebacon

massivebacon

I'm running into errors with this directly related to preprocessor directives and exporting packages. I've got something like:

Code (csharp):
    2. namespace MyNameSpace {
    3. #if CLASS_EXISTS
    4. public class something {}
    5. #endif
    6. }
    Where functionality is spotty at best. The code works in the main project, but if I try to export out those affected scripts through a package, the script breaks and is unable to be added to any components, even if the define is set. Calling stuff like AssetDatabase.Refresh() doesn't help this either. Would be glad to hear of any more info re directives and defining out classes.[/code]

42. allenwithno3

allenwithno3

for me, the class name not matching script name, Rotator vs Rotater.. HAHA

43. michalisc

michalisc

Hello the same problem happens to me,i import the Googe VR SDK and i get this error on evert script. "the associated script cannot be loaded"
    any solutions?

44. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

same problem here

45. HasanMougharbel

HasanMougharbel

You should make all the public class names and their relative script file names similar with both being in capital letters. Eventually, all scripts would run smoothly and excellently

admin_unity964 likes this.
  46. mino17

mino17

i don't have that problem when using visual studio

Qbit86 likes this.
  47. blagy

blagy

i was stuck on this error for a day. solution for me was: deleted all unnecessary directives ("using") from all .cs
    i hope it helps u

thorolfyggsson likes this.
  48. kmrothwell

kmrothwell

I had a particularly nasty case of this where I had unwittingly named a new class the same as another class in a namespace and then changed the file name. The files referencing the class in the namespace were now referencing the new class, the new class didn't have any public properties or methods so it seemed like it just wasn't picking them up. I couldn't search for the class in the file explorer because I had named it something different. Next time I'll just kick myself in the nuts...

49. Rogue12

Rogue12

[SOLVED]
    I could fix it in one easy way!

In my case:
    When i get the error in all scripts, i noticed that the last thing i write in c# was 2 IEnumerators.
    When i worked with 2 IEnumerators, this happens.. hmm..
    Try to remove them if you have (IEnumerators), and this can be fix.

Sometimes IEnumerators dont work so well.. but that was in my case!
    At least i tried, but worked for me! :D

50. Jared_P

Jared_P

If someone still hasn't fixed their problem yet, you could try this:
    In you're in MonoDevelop, try rebuilding the solution (or press F7) and it should refresh the scripts in unity. This might
    also work in other editors like VisualStudio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.