Search Unity

Gear VR with Unity, jagged edges or antialiasing issue

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Javieret, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Javieret

Javieret

Hi everybody,

I'm developing a game for Samsung Gear VR with Unity 5.1.3.

I have a big problem with borders of the 3d objects, you can't see them like a line, you see jagged edges, like saw-tooth effect.

I tried to play with Unity settings, but i can't solve it. The scene has around 50-60fps in mobile, and no more than 60-70 batches.

(click to expand). Picture 1. Saw-tooth effect in borders and stats panel

(click to expand). Picture 2. Player-settings panel

(click to expand). Picture 3. Quality-settings panel

In quality settings I tried to change "Anti Aliasing" to 4x and 8x multi sampling but I get same result.

Any idea what can I do?

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. saschandroid

saschandroid

The ovr plugin is disabling antialiasing if you have enabled it in the quality settings (search for "antialiasing" in the ovr .cs files).

3. VincePlusPlus

VincePlusPlus

I have this same problem, i tried the solution @saschandroid suggested and searched through all the OVR files and did not find anything with anti aliasing in them. Has any one figured out the problem?

4. VincePlusPlus

VincePlusPlus

It seems this problem has been fixed for me with the new 5.2.1p2 that was released on Thursday.

EDIT:
    This problem has not been fixed, or at least for me, i was connecting Oculus to my computer after starting the application and that's why i would not get the jagged edges.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. bluescrn

bluescrn

Should this be working in more recent Unity versions? - is there anything required to enable VR AA beyond quality settings?

We're trying to do a performance comparison of Unity 4.7 vs. Unity 5.x, to help decide whether to update a project to 5.x, but in Unity 5 we currently have no AA.

In Unity 4, we have more settings available via the Oculus plugin, including an AA option which definitely worked (and made a huge visual difference)

(edit: Ah, seems that this is OK, and it just wasn't using the expected quality settings...)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Any idea how to solve jagged edges or anti-aliasing issue in gear vr? (unity 5.3.5)

7. latestpost

latestpost

Unity 5.5.06b

Despite setting anti alias settings in project settings -> quality -> rendering -> anti aliasing = 2 x multisampling there was no visual change in appearance

What did work was setting it using code in one of the start routines on a game object
    QualitySettings.antiAliasing = 2;

8. filipepms

filipepms

Just as said above: use the line
    if you want enable AA.

9. Prabir

Prabir

@filipepms :- bro you saved my day, thank you very much. I was struggling with this issue from like 2 days, tried every possible thing , but nothing helped, but your suggestion worked :)

Seems even setting up the antialiasing via the unity quality setting is not enough. We must do it via script. Thanks again bro.

10. raja1250

raja1250

Has Solved The Problem Thank you.