Search Unity

[SOLVED] GameObject.Find not working on Android!?!

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by varunvp, Oct 21, 2016.

1. varunvp

varunvp

Hey guys,
    I have some scripts, in which the Start() contains some important variables which are initialised by using Gameobject.Find(). It happens perfectly in the editor, but when I deploy on mobile, it does not work as expected. All the errors point to the Find() lines, when I checked in the adb logcat. What could be wrong???

2. varunvp

varunvp

Does it have to do something with the scene not being fully loaded on Android, since I am using Async loading?

3. Brathnann

Brathnann

I haven't used async loading myself, but you could try using log viewer
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/12047
    which is free and basically lets you see your console on a build on tablets. Logcat is a great tool, but I find log viewer is a good first step to tracking down what might be going on.

When you say it's not working as expected, is it just returning null and thus not finding anything? Or is it something else?

varunvp likes this.
  4. varunvp

varunvp

It throws NullReferenceException. Can it be from incomplete loading of the scene?
    I will try that plug in though. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  5. varunvp

varunvp

Hmmmm, well I tried that plug-in, it proved the same thing again. Instead of using Gameobject.Find, i used another 3rd party tool to find the gameobjects, but it seems even it has trouble to find the gameobjects! This is what I used
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/27962
    I am now going to try just loading the scene directly, not with async.

6. Rob21894

Rob21894

Try putting the Gameobject.Find functions in Void Awake()

See if this changes anything

7. varunvp

varunvp

I later realised that some of my objects were tagged as EditorOnly. Made them untagged, still the same problem.

I will try this now, although I doubt it will change anything.

8. varunvp

varunvp

Nope, this did not fix it.

9. varunvp

varunvp

OK, solved it. The GameObjects I wanted to find were parented under a gameObject which was tagged 'EditorOnly'. Damn oversight. Also, if it were not for a random article I read yesterday, wouldn't know that objects tagged EditorOnly are excluded in the build. Phew!

10. fangye_Studio

fangye_Studio

I met the same problem, but the tag is default "Player" , cant find by tag in awake() on android platform