Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Game stops responding: 'Attempt to access invalid address' ERROR

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Abuthar, May 7, 2016.

1. Abuthar

Abuthar

I have had a few complaints about the program I released, made in unity about 3 months back , because it stops responding for no apparent reason. The time between crashes seems to vary and is not do to any specific actions within the program (game) seemingly. I have not encountered the problem myself on the 3 systems that I own (all windows 7, 2 PC 1 Laptop) however I can provide an output_log sent to me by one of the users who bought my program. This seems to be a unique case between 2 users, no one else has encountered this problem. One user in particular has run the game on 2 systems (1 laptop, 1 desktop, both windows 10) and only experiences the issue on the Desktop (Windows 10).

My question would be: Is this a Unity problem or a Windows error? How can I solve this and possibly prevent it in the future??

The Log attached has several instances of ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.'

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? This is the last resort since i could not find a solution by simply Googling like any other issue I've had.

Attached Files:

2. Gecube88

Gecube88

Did you ever find an answer to this?

3. Abuthar

Abuthar

Unfortunately from Unity I have not recieved a response, however when looking online, it seems to be a Windows issue as far as I can tell, more common with Windows 10 Systems.

4. Gecube88

Gecube88

Yeah we are getting the same issue.
    Created a game called Golf With Your Friends: http://store.steampowered.com/app/431240/
    The recent update has seen a few players getting this issue. Not sure if its to do with lighting or a memory leak somewhere.

We lost our overwhelmingly positive status and 5 days work because of this.
    Everything we try. We removed any code and lights. No crash.

Put the lights back in = crash.
    remove lights and add code back in = crash.

With nothing though it seems to run for ever.

Because its on our customers computers its really hard to bug test and the logs dont give much info.
    It seems to be on Windows 10,8 and 7. Mostly 10.

Hopefully we can find some info on it.

5. Sebioff

Sebioff

Getting reports like this every now and then too with every 5.3 version. No idea how to reproduce or what it might be related to (although I also noticed that it seems to be most common on Win10), so no idea how to send a proper report to Unity :/

6. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Does anyone knows what the CPU is the games are running on when the error happens?

7. Vulpicula

Vulpicula

I'm one of the testers, sorta. I'm running an AMD A6-7400K using Radeon R5 integrated, if that helps.

8. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Is the issue happening on that hardware?

I add the following code at the beginning of the gameL
    Code (csharp):
    3.      Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey RegKey = Microsoft.Win32.Registry.LocalMachine;
    4.      RegKey = RegKey.OpenSubKey("HARDWARE\\DESCRIPTION\\System\\CentralProcessor\\0");
    5.      object cpuType  = RegKey.GetValue("ProcessorNameString");
    6.      Debug.Log("You have a " + cpuType.ToString());
    It is important information.

9. Vulpicula

Vulpicula

It is, ja. I can send you the crash log(s) if you'd like.

10. Gecube88

Gecube88

Tried removing all Realtime GI and Bake lighting along with lightmapping and still nothing.
    It doesn't matter what I remove or add it just changes the time it takes before the crash.

Here is a zip from one of our users with lots of crash and dump files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uq3mk3mj57bn7x5/Golf+With+Friends+crash+logs.zip

If someone who has more knowledge than I do, could you take a look and see if anything stands out? Cheers.

11. Abuthar

Abuthar

I've learned that this issue specifically happens in regards to lighting and enabling/disabling lights using Event Triggers or from script. It seems that this is where most people have the issue... However, I've reached a workaround with this issue by setting light intensity to ZERO when disabled, instead of turning the light off. by disabling the component. For others still, the program will crash on startup, specifically it will stop responding. (stop interacting with Windows) Any other solutions to by anyone? Has Unity perhaps looked into this issue?

This also started for me around Unity 5.2

12. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

The problem is:
    1. The log files don't mention what CPU the user is using
    2. During QA testing, the repro is tested on Intel computers by default, not AMD.
    3, If the issue only happens on AMD processor, the QA will not be able to verify the bug. Unless someone explicitly states that the errors only happen on certain types of hardware.

This is why I asked what the CPU is.
    There have been numerous reports over the year of people reporting issues while running Unity games on certain AMD processors. Notably, the AMD A-series processor. There are a bunch of threads about this.
    No one is taking it seriously for some reason. The bugs reports are not getting elevated to the developers.
    Almost all of the evidence collected shows the issues only happen on AMD processors, not Intel machines.
    You can see one thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ve...in-the-editor-console-odd-tag-cleanup.341934/

Vulpicula and Gecube88 like this.
  13. Abuthar

Abuthar

To be honest it's probably an AMD issue because I have all Intel Machines and I personally have not experienced this issue. I have only seen it through customer complaints, screenshots, output_logs and screenshares. Side note: all my PCs/Laptops are windows 7, with intel processors and Nvidia GPUs.

14. Gecube88

Gecube88

I'll ask around but so far i'm getting results like this:

AMD A6-7400K using Radeon R5 integrated - Win7 64-bit
    AMD A6-5400K using Radeon HD 7540D - Win 8 64-bit

15. Sebioff

Sebioff

Asked for the most recent report I received and looks like we got a pattern:
    AMD A6-6400K + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, Unity 5.3.5p2

Gecube88 likes this.
  16. Abuthar

Abuthar

Yup after a bit of digging, the users experiencing issues with my Unity program also have AMD processors, for example, AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD. Is there any way we can contact Unity directly regarding this problem? It really seems like it cause bigger complications in the future.

17. Sebioff

Sebioff

Best way apart from directly getting the attention from someone at Unity somehow would be having a reproduction case on the latest Unity 5.4 beta asap. They are about to ship 5.4 soon and check every report I think. Problematic if we don't know what exactly triggers it and nobody of us has an AMD A CPU :/
    Maybe report the entire project and link to this thread?

18. Gecube88

Gecube88

Yeah, I wouldn't have a clue how to reproduce this issue.
    We also don't have any systems with those specs or with any crashing issues.

Another report with : AMD A4-6300 APU using AMD Radeon HD 8670A - Win 8 64-bit

19. Abuthar

Abuthar

Coincidentally all 4 of my machines are Intel... so I haven't yet found a way to reproduce this issue myself either. I wonder if could be a driver problem? Maybe an update or repair would fix, however i doubt it since most of these crashes are happening on newer machines, usually windows 8 or 10. What can we do?

20. Gecube88

Gecube88

21. Gecube88

Gecube88

These are the specs of people having the crashing issue. All AMD except 1 other, could be another issue effecting him.

AMD A6-7400K using Radeon R5 integrated - Win7 64-bit
    AMD A6-5400K using Radeon HD 7540D - Win 8 64-bit
    Intel i5 3300 using Radeon HD 7700 Series (Unsure of the Exact Type) - Win 10 Insider Build 14532
    AMD A4-6300 APU using AMD Radeon HD 8670A - Win 8 64-bit
    AMD FX 4130 quad core 3.7GHz using AMD Radeon 7750 - Ubuntu 14.04
    AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics and I am running on Windows 10 64 Bit
    AMD A4-6300 APU with AMD Radeon HD 8370D - Win 10 64-bit
    AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
    AMD A6-5400K with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics - Win7 64 bit
    AMD A4-6320 APU with Radeon HD7850 win 10 64-bit

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Vulpicula likes this.
  22. mortennost

mortennost

Any more updates on this issue? Have anyone found a workaround? We have a fair bit of customers with this issue after upgrading to 5.3. Can't reproduce it ourselves, but it seems to be only Windows machines. Thanks.

23. Gecube88

Gecube88

I spoke via email with Matthew from Unity.
    I have sent all the information I had, but am waiting for for him to get back to me.

24. mortennost

mortennost

Okay. Thanks.
    Would appreciate it if you'd update here once you hear something from him or find out anything more. :)

25. gintautass

gintautass

QA Minion Unity Technologies

@mortennost @Abuthar @Vulpicula @Gecube88 @Sebioff

Is there any new information that you managed to gather on this issue?
    Any repro projects / new machines that reproduce these issues?
    Did any of you had report of this being reproduced on A10 apu's?

We have a good split between AMD, Intel and Nvidia hardware and we are able to test most of the issues. In this case, we are acquiring AMD-A series machine in a week or two.

If you had any cases closed/unhandled that you believe we were not able to reproduce due to hardware, then please give the case numbers to me and we will look into it.

Big thanks to @Gecube88 for bringing this issue to my attention! :)

Gecube88 and ArachnidAnimal like this.
  26. mortennost

mortennost

Nothing new other than more users (and the same ones as before) reporting this issue. Some users crash only once with this type of error, while others are experiencing multiple crashes in one or different places, not being able to continue with the game.

We have yet to reproduce this on our side, so it's hard for us to come up with workarounds as well.

A guy in the thread linked below mentioned that the issue seemed to go away after upgrading to 5.3.5p3 (our official builds are on 5.3.5p2) so we'll give that a go. However, his problem may have been related to some .NET web requests he were sending. We'll test with 5.3.5p3 or higher regardless to see if we'll get any results from that.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/windows-build-crashing-only-on-some-machines.397252/

Gecube88 likes this.
  27. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

One of our users reported a crash similar to this as well on a Unity 5.3.5p3 build.

We are not using web requests (but some plugins might do).

Specs:
    i7-4790k cpu 4.00 GHz
    Windows 10 Pro
    Nividia GeForce GTX 970

So FYI the same error can occur on Intel CPUs and is NOT fixed in 5.3.5p3. We issued a refund to the user but would really appreciate if this could be tested and adressed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  28. gintautass

gintautass

I am pretty sure this is a different issue as the call stack where it is telling about accessing invalid address is a not an indicator of duplicate. If it was a duplicate then some of the devs that were experiencing these would have experienced this with their main "intel" machines as well.

If you haven't already then file a bug report for the issue you have metnioned(project+repro steps) and we will take a look at it.

As for this issue, we are still trying to find a working project that could reproduce this. :)

mortennost likes this.
  29. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Well, that won't happen for the reasons others and I explained before. My project is 40 gb in size. Last time I tried to upload it, 12 hours wasn't enough. And at one point I did upload a 10 gb project to finally have my bug left in the dark because "the project is too big".

Unity QA Workflow is simply not optimal for big projects.

30. toomanypuppies

toomanypuppies

Hi, just ran into this issue. I'm not a unity dev, but this looked like the right place to share the debug info.
    • intel i5-6600k - 3.5 GHz
    • Windows 10
    • Nividia GeForce GTX 770
    Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

31. gintautass

gintautass

@alexandre-fiset

We completely understand that. There are two tools that our developers made for stripping projects. I will be making a guide on how to use them in a week or two.

Regarding, "a case left in the dark" drop me the case number and I will make sure to get it resolved. If it was a QA person that dropped the case because of size, I will surely have a talk with him on why he did that.

@toomanypuppies

If you experienced this issue more than once then please file a bug report.

32. Gecube88

Gecube88

Hey Guys,

Quick update: Unity 5.4.0 seems to have fixed this issue for the people we have tested with.
    Ill push an update for an experimental build and push users with this issue that way and update when I have more information.

33. gintautass

gintautass

Just to add to this case:
    I have verified this as fixed in 5.4

If some of you are still able to reproduce it on latest 5.4, please send me a message or report a bug.

34. Abuthar

Abuthar

Confirming 5.4 seems to have fixed this issue!! so far 3 out of 8 of my users who were experiencing issues have contacted me to let me know in the update i just sent out the bug is not present! Thank you so much for addressing this issue for us, I am very thankful for the support!

*edit* I'm glad I was able to bring forth an issue to the community and actually have it resolved by you folks at Unity, thank you once again.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    gintautass likes this.
  35. Morgenstern_1

Morgenstern_1

Is there going to be a fix released for earlier versions of Unity? We're running 5.3.6f1 and are unable to upgrade to 5.4, so we're currently stuck with a bunch of players who are unable to play our game.

36. AndrewRyan

AndrewRyan

I have been referred to this thread and appear to be experiencing the same issue in Beta. My build, however, crashes immediately. Same bug?

Specs:
    Win 10 64 bit
    Radeon R9 390 Driver: 17.1.1

Unity 2017.1.0b2 Personal Edition
    OVR Sample Framework 1.14.0
    OVR Utilities for Unity 5 1.15.0

Attached Files:

37. Clover10123

Clover10123

Edit: I just now realized that this thread is a few years old... well either way, I'm experiencing these problems from a player perspective. The Steam forums are slow and I've submitting a help ticket to Steam, but nevertheless, I'll keep the original post below.
    --

Hey everyone-- I'm a new developer, but I'm actually commenting here from a player's perspective. I, too, am experiencing these problems when playing Reigns/Reigns: Her Majesty, Kingdoms and Castles, and Worlds Adrift. I just bought Reigns/Her Majesty and Civ V recently, but only Reigns seems to have errors. Civ seems to be okay. At first I thought it was something I did because Kingdoms and Castles worked perfectly fine before I reset my computer and wiped it. But I guess not.

This is super annoying, so if anyone can help, that would be great. The Steam forums are slow and have very little information on the problem.

My CPU info:

Windows 8 64-bit
    Processor: AMD A10-6700 with Radeon HD 8670D

38. x4000

x4000

We also run into this issue with our title Starward Rogue, for some users, but we don't have this issue for any of our other (8ish) titles. There's no rhyme or reason to why these seem to happen, at least not in a way we can debug. We've seen this issue from 5.4.x to 2017.1.0p4 now.

Here's one user's report with crash dumps attached: https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view.php?id=19332

I have more, though, if that would be helpful.

Thank you!

39. daisySa

daisySa

Could you post a link to those tools and/or the guide please?