Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Between this update and the presentation of switch on January 13, my hype is over 9000 xd.

Sorry for these days of silence, I wanted to focus in keep working in the update. I am finishing the weapons system for third and first person, adding a lot of customization options and improving a lot of things in this part of the asset. This is the list of new features added for the weapons:
    • Easy configuration for sway and headbob for every weapon, allowing to configure position and rotation
    • Configure lower or higher sway and headbob when running or aiming
    • Easy configuration for walk, aim, recoil and draw positions for every weapon for third and first person
    • Add extra random recoil position and rotation to shot
    • Camera fov transition when aiming
    • Configure camera shake when the weapon is being fired
    • Projectile spread with lower value when player aims
    • Configure amount of projectiles per shot
    • Explosive projectiles
    • Two new weapons added: double shotgun and rocket launcher
    • Projectile shells and weapon drop sounds
    • Transitions when changing weapons
    • Pick and drop any weapon
    • Scope render when aiming
    I am adding a couple of arms for every weapon too. I want to upload a quick video this week to show the full weapon system, so you can see better what it does. Also, I am thinking in take off some uncompleted features (they are only a few), to speed up the update, and add them in next update. I will tell these features tomorrow.

Merry christmas.

Regards.

2. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

You could always make 'add-on' packages to install later - not sure how the Unity system works with asset publishing.

Take your time to keep your cost up publishing down, it will be worth the wait.

T

sr388 likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Yes, It is something that I have thought about. For example for the asset similar to besiege, which allows to build objects, vehicles, buildings, etc... ingame, I want to release it as a separated asset but with full compatibility with GTC and also, with some kind of add-on or update option, I have not decided it yet.

Also, sorry for not show yet the weapon system, I have been some busy between holidays and some office work, but I have had time to keep working in the update too, and I more and more happy of how it looks and works. Most features and improvements from the player weapon system have been added to vehicle weapons, allowing an insane level of customization.

Finally, there have been important improvements in the headbob system (including a damage shake option) and the decals for projectiles collision.

I will upload a video very soon with these features.

Regards and happy new year.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Unity have been adding multi directional navmesh. Actually kind of a hack, it's still unidirectional but you can bake more than one navmesh using your own normal, and you can link navmesh together apparently. It looks one less hassle for you since some people have been asking for it (ie have "wall" navmesh, "ground" navmesh, "floor" navmesh, etc ... though naming convention might change in gravity defying controller, like the +Y navmesh lol)

5. sr388

sr388

That sounds really interesting. I will take a look at it, due to next update, the AI will be highly improved. Do you mean the last unity version, 5.5.0f3?

I usually wait some time before update to the last version of unity to avoid any kind of new bug or problem and to have a bigger compatibility with other user's versions, right now I have the version 5.3.4f1, so once this update is released, I will update unity to a newer version.

6. hopeful

hopeful

The navmesh improvements are in U5.6, and they include runtime generation.

neoshaman likes this.
  7. uni7y

uni7y

can you maybe make a VATS style variable Aiming and Targeting system like Falout use? that would be cool!! :)

sr388 likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

That could be interesting, since the new health system already allows to place different collision spots (without extra colliders or similar) along with damage multiplier zones (for weak spots for example) for player and any character/enemy/NPC, as you can see in this image. For example a projectile hit with +2 of damage will cause a +30 of damage (2x15=30) in the character's head.

Captura.PNG

Of course, you can configure the position and amount of these spots along with the damage multiplier and name. I will think about add that aim system too.

Btw, right now, I am recording a video to show a final preview for the initial version of weapon system for the player, so in a few hours, the video will be uploaded. In the incoming days I will make videos for other systems, like inventory, map, pickups, etc....
    Along with every video, I will add a list with all the features of every system and those features that I wanted to include in this update but they are delayed to the next.

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    uni7y likes this.
  9. hopeful

hopeful

Does this mean the new version has been submitted?

10. sr388

sr388

Not yet, but the todo list in this update is almost empty (along with a few features delayed to the next version). The update is close, really close.

These videos will show a quick look of every new part of the udpate. For the release, I will make better videos along with video tutorials, because now every system is much more polished and with a better and easier to use custom inspector, so it will be easier to explain and configure everything, with a better customization.

Adrad and hopeful like this.
  11. uni7y

uni7y

Thanks sr388 Now I really can't wait anymore :) Hope you increase the price for this great asset a bit because you have a lot of work and time put in to this and you need to eat :p

sr388 likes this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Yeah, also I need money for basic stuff, like coffee and I don't know..... nintendo switch....I mean, did I say coffee already? xd.

But yes, for the update I will set the price between 30 and 40 dollars (don't worry, all people that already has it won't pay nothing, all the updates will be free).

Me neither, I barely resist to upload already the update, but I can't do that yet, due to how much this update means for me. It is like make a new whole asset again (almost from scratch). I can guarantee you that the result will worth the wait.

Btw, the video for the weapon system is being uploading right now, hope my internet connection doesn't fall another time -.-. The video lasts half an hour (sorry for that, you can set a higher video speed on youtube xd) but I needed to show every part properly. Anyway, once the video is uploaded I will post it here, so see you in a while.

Regards.

uni7y and Adrad like this.
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

Tangent: We were discussing research and emulator last time, I tried metroid with the latest version of dolphin and got decent framerate during gameplay (with stutter during cinematics) also there is an unofficial build called Ishiiruka that got other game playing at better frame rate (last story) and have way more option (it focus more on playability rather than exact compatibility). Game I brought but hadn't finish have been completed recently lol (star fox assault). Also they have a freecam mode where you can examine what are teh graphic trickery the game is doing! very useful for game dev! Just a note, some stutter are from shader compilation which are cached later, so rerun don't stutter at the same place at all. More incredibly.

I tried cemu and my puny laptop just run it! I bought xenoblade x and i'm playing it on my laptop, it does have the same shader compilation issue, but the recent version allow you to download cache from other player to avoid them, also my hard drive is slow and the game have some slight hit on streaming, but it works at playable framerate, able it slower than the original, there is no fancy option but at the same time the emulator is very recent! With wiiU i don't notice any hitch cause by graphics, it seems to be cpu bound which is incredible! I heard some other game run flawlessly (the mario) but I don't own them at all, I can't wait to see of the last zelda work on it lol. There is no save state, so there is no major benefit to study game right now, except dumping shader and texture to look at them.

14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Finally, the first video of the update is uploaded (thanks to my veeeery slow connection speed). If the video is too long (sorry for that), set the speed to 2 :p. Anyway, here is the video (hope you like it):

You can notice that some weapons have arms and others no. All of them will have arms ;)

And here the list of features of this system:
    • Weapon system strongly physics based
    • Full Weapons HUD using UI
    • Ammo mini UI info in every weapon
    • Collision detection to avoid cross surfaces in third person
    • Configure easily keep, draw, aim and recoil position for every weapon, with a very complete editor and waypoint system
    • Zero animations needed
    • Add extra random recoil position and rotation to shot
    • Insane customization level
    • Very complete weapon manager system, with a weapon list allowing to enable or disable every weapon
    • Change between weapons with wheel mouse, next and previous weapon button and key number assigned
    • Really smooth procedural transition animations between weapons
    • Change between third/first person and vice versa with a drawed -weapon
    • Separated camera renderer only for weapons
    • Check surface distance to avoid incorrect shots in first person
    • Pick and drop any weapon
    • Ammo pick ups for any weapon
    • Ammo is not picked if the player doesn't have that weapon
    • Dinamic idle system for main camera and weapon
    • Camera shake in first/third person when a weapon is being fired and when the player is being damaged
    • Camera field of view transition when weapon is aimed
    • Complete sway and headbob system configurable for every weapon with lower or higher sway and headbob when running or aiming
    • Configurable projectile spread with lower value when player aims
    • Six different weapons, incluing regular pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, double shotgun and grenade launcher
    • Option to allow aim or not a weapon in first person
    • Option to configure clip size, remaining ammo, raycast shoot, force, speed, projectiles per shoot, automatic or manual, animation name and speed, shell random sounds, position, different sounds for cock, reload, shoot, projectile collision, if the projectile is explosive, explosion force and radius
    • Decal system with fade option
    • Sight with camera render
    And here the features for weapon system which are delayed for the next update:
    • Dual weapons, weapons with powers, extra abilities, upgrades, interchangeable accessories ingame, grenades, etc...
    • Configure weapon settings (fire rate, damage, projectile speed, clip size,.....) in pick ups for weapons, so you can get the same type of weapon with different skills and stats
    • Decal and sound manager for any type of surface
    • More type of weapons, similar to new doom
    • Bouncing projectiles
    • Secondary shot option
    • Magazine drop and procedural reload animations
    • Melee weapons, with different movement, combos and random order
    • Use of splines for better weapon movements (when player draw and keep a weapon)
    I really like how the current weapon system works, I have studied how other fps and tps games works, moves and make feel, and for a initial version, I am pretty happy with it. Of course with new updates, this system will receive a lot of improvements. Anyway, tell me what you think or if you miss any feature in both list.

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    hopeful and uni7y like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Really interseting way to use emulators. Yeah, I use emulators too to study some games and how they works and moves (even in android with some emulators and pc ports). they can be very useful. Also, I have seen videos of cemu and citra and looks very promising.

Though I already have all 3ds games that I wanted and I am waiting to play all Wii U good games in switch (please nintendo, give us a virtual console for gamecube, wii and wii U xd, I have waited a long time to being able to play metroid prime trilogy in a handheld). Can't wait to zelda botw neither (I would like to try some of its ideas in this asset too).

Regards.

16. unicat

unicat

Holy cow, you must have done a lot of work. Can`t wait for this update.

sr388 likes this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Thanks unicat.

Yeah, I have spent some time on it (don't even remember how much time haha), but I have to say that I have had a lot of fun working in this weapon system (along with the rest of the update) and I hope every user can achieve the same or even more diversion.

18. uni7y

uni7y

WOW man! this is so freaking awesome! Do you know what you did? Now I have to take 3 weeks vacation when it comes out to check out all these cool features! :p
    You can easily ask 75 USD for a asset like this. I know I'm not making myself popular with the guys who did not already buy this but I don't care! this is just to cheap man :)

Really amazed and I'm mailing my boss to ask for 3 weeks of now!!

sr388 likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

HAHAHAHA. I have laughed like a couple of minutes for your comment. You made my day men, thanks. Remember that the weapons is just a part of the update, so I would ask for some more days if I were you.....

Yeah, definitely the price will be increased according to the update. Like I said, I need basic stuff for research purposes....literally, I take a lot of inspiration playing other games, to see how they are done and make new systems and mechanics.

uni7y likes this.
  20. hopeful

hopeful

I took your advice and watched the video at 2x speed. ;)

I'm glad the head bob and weave are not an integral part of the kit, as they get me sick fast. I would be one of those people who ALWAYS turn it off.

I'm very much looking forward to playing with all the neat things you've included in this update. :)

sr388 likes this.
  21. neoshaman

neoshaman

I have been waiting for a price increase to buy the asset even though I do't have much money, that's how much I appreciate the feature inside lol

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Thanks hopeful and of course, I can understand that not everyone needs or want a camera shake, headbob or weapon sway, so all of them can be disabled or configured to be very low and smooth. Depending on what a developer want to show in a game, these settings can be totally different between projects.

Thanks man, that means a lot for me, seriously. Hope the update worth the patience from all of you.

23. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

Has anyone done any multiplayer integrations with this asset, and if so, what networking system would you recommend? Would really like to use this character controller with my first decent multiplayer project.

24. Razmot

Razmot

Do you have a solution to avoid FPS hands clipping into view ? Like if the model is cut on shoulders, and some combination of running + sway + reload shows too much of the shoulders and the cut appears. I thought about either pinning the shoulders behind the camera with IK or having stretching bones to avoid that

25. sr388

sr388

I would like to know too if anyone have tried this. But you can be sure that local and online multiplier will be added. I think that photon is the most used, correct me if I am wrong.

As you can see in the preview video, right now the arms in first person are a separated model from the player, placed in a position to look like they are holding the weapon. To avoid clipping the best solution is play with the settings, use an appropriate sway values, to avoid the arms move too much in the camera. Also, in some arms, I have set he size of forearms to 0, so there is lower chance of clipping. For now, that works pretty well.

Weapon position is important too, most games used to place the weapons in a very low part in the bottom of the screen, so just some hand and arm part is showed. You can see that in doom for example:

31af0a009afd_doom_10_.jpg

I thought too about use IK in first person (just like in third one) for the real player model, which I will add along with full body awareness after 2.3.6 update.

Regards.

26. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Questions...

costs----------------
    #1 Price increase?
    #2 Additional cost (per price increase) to the previous asset buyers?

project requests-----------------------
    #3 Can you make separate demo scenes for:

A- Third-Person Shooter ONLY
    B- First-Person Shooter ONLY -my favorite.
    C- Switchable/Mobile (players choice) ONLY
    D- Multi-Player or Local ONLY

---ready for that update. :)

sr388 likes this.
  27. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe we have discussed this before, but I think the biggest thing about designing for multiplayer is to have inputs and actions separated, so that client input (like "W down") gets turned into a network transmittable function call (like "forward movement on") on the client, which then goes to a local or remote server module (which moves the simulated character in AI space and calculates the resulting AI actions), which in turn sends a command function to the client (usually to instantiate or destroy something, to move a game object, or trigger an animation).

Or something like that. ;)

That way the code that works for single player and self-server also works for multiplayer and remote server.

Unity's networking, Bolt networking, and TNET all work that way, so if code is written with that model in mind, it should be relatively easy for a dev to visit just one or two scripts and translate the function calls to each networking code base.

But I'm not an expert ... so, just thinking out loud. :)

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Sorry for the late reply. It seems that asset store doesn't load with my router today (I had been waited like hours thinking that the web was down and now I am using 3g now xd)

#1 The new price will be between 30 - 40 dollars (I think that 35 is very possible)
    #2 Absolute zero. For now, I won't add paid upgrades. Just free for anyone who already own the asset (maybe in new updates some paid upgrade could be added)
    #3 Yeah, that is my idea, allowing to play scenes where the player is only in third person and another where he only is in first (with the option to switch the camera mode disabled). And another scene where the camera changement is enabled. Along with these scenes, I will make more, to show particular parts and systems of the asset.

Like that, anyone could try a demo with all the features in the scene (like previous demos) and also, little scenes where try concrete features and options (along with the android demo with the same scenes and touch controls ;) )

Very well explained indeed. I have to say that I haven't made any multiplayer system yet, but I know the theory and I learn quick (at least I think so xd). But yes, I know that some current code will need some changes to add multiplayer, because certains part of the whole code wasn't made thinkinig in multiplayer. That is the reason because I want to start adding local multiplayer in the same platform (with split screen).

Of course, it will need to check any input made and identify which player has made it and what to do then. Once that works, I think that it will need just the online part (along with extra modifications). But I am not worry about too much about it, I have trust that everything will be fine in the development of this part (there is a lot of forums, documentation, tutorials and any help is welcome). And like always, I will show every solid progress here.

Btw, the system for pick ups, map and inventory are almost complete, so I will make a couple of videos in the upcoming days to show them.

Regards.

29. Sarrivin

Sarrivin

Great to know you're busy improving this asset. It's really incredible. And UNET is so simple it shouldn't be a challenge for you - it's a matter of taking data from, for example, your player's position, sending that data to the server (which can be another player, called host, or standalone build without players), which then informs every other player where did your player go, then code of those players moves his object on their machines.
    To send less data, UNET only sends those coordinates once in a while in certain delays, which causes "jitter" in resulting movement. But this is then lerped to smooth out sent movement visually.

So, just add me to the list of those really, really interested in the mulitplayer version :).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    sr388 likes this.
  30. BryanO

BryanO

Has anyone made an adapter for this controller and the current version of ICE? These very limited overlap and each would benefit from the other.

TymNetwork likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

I would like to know that too. Anyway, I have planned to add integration with ICE after 2.3.6. For the current update, Emerald AI will be integrated.

Also, pick ups, inventory and map systems are already complete, so I will start to record those videos today.

Finally I have made an event trigger system, so for example, when you pick a weapon from the floor, you can configure a list of actions to trigger (with or with out a delay for every action), for example, close and lock or unlock and open all the doors in a room, or instantiate an enemy wave, anything you need.

Regards.

TymNetwork and hopeful like this.
  32. BryanO

BryanO

Thats fine - When do you expect to release 2.3.6?

33. sr388

sr388

This month will be complete and uploaded to asset store. I can't allow any more delays.

34. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

That is the greatest news !

35. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Super good packages !! I have used them before.

sr388 likes this.
  36. keifyb

keifyb

looking forward to the update, looks cool. if your planning to add multiplayer my vote is for photon please. thanx

sr388 likes this.
  37. sr388

sr388

I have read about both multiplayer options, uNet and photon. But I still need to know more info about them, to use the best option (or even both).

Btw, I have been adding some more features for the map system, like allowing to disable map parts, so if you reach a new room, the map of that room is enabled in the minimap (by using the new event trigger system, setting different positions to enable that room map). Or get the map of a full floor or map zone by getting a map pickup (similar to resident evil), because I consider them very useful.

I will continue recording the videos and posting them as soon as possible. After that, next part will be to complete the AI (along with emerald integration).

Regards.

Sarrivin, hopeful and Mayureshete like this.
  38. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

6 months for a point update (2.3.5 to 2.3.6) with still no release date in sight is getting a little ridiculous. It's cool that you want to add a million things to the asset, but I really think at this point you need to take whatever is mostly working, call it 2.3.6, and just focus on fixing any major bugs and release it. You can always release a 2.3.7 afterwards. ;)

sr388 likes this.
  39. sr388

sr388

I called it 2.3.6 because it was going to be a little update (weapon system only), but once I started to work on it, I noticed that some systems (camera, vehicles, use of projectiles, pick ups,....) needed to be changed to be more configurable and extensible, allowing an easy customization. Also, in all this time I have improved my knowlegde about custom inspector, so I wanted to add themm too, improving the previous features.

And all of this become a butterfly effect, and I can say that this is 100% another asset. And due to since the beginning of the update I called it with that version, I didn't wanted to change it, to avoid any confusion, but you can consider it a 3.0.

Also, I always need to reach a quality level in every new feature, so it is not good enough yet, I will work more on it, or delay it to other update, and there was a lot of parts related this time, so all of it need to work good by itself and togheter and they couldn't not be delayed.

But I can totally understand you, I never wanted to take so much time for an update, and I won't never do it again. From now updates will come much more sooner and will be lighter.

So, like you said, I am taking all that was almost complete and finishing it. And the update will be uploaded/released this month. No matter what. This time.....is personal (just like in movies).

Regards.

Sarrivin, uni7y, Mayureshete and 3 others like this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Another (very) Quick video preview, I have made it for the GDC 2017 (hope Unity include it in their conference along with other developer's videos):

It is difficult to make just a 10 seconds clip xd.

Regards.

Firesoft and uni7y like this.
  41. Firesoft

Firesoft

Hi,
    When you will you release the Update?
    Great work you are doing!!!

regards

EDIT:

Never mind just read it..

42. sr388

sr388

Hi firesoft and thanks.

The update will be uploaded at the end of this month. I am finishing the initial version of the AI which is the last part of the update.

The last thing added is a new patrol system which allows to place different patrols for every npc very easily. Also, allows to configure a random/fixed time to change to another patrol and a random waypoint or to choose a random position when he reaches the current waypoint.

In this gif you can see it. The blue lines show how every patrol is joined to the next in their last/first waypoint, so the npc can walk throught them in bucle for example. In the first middle part of the gif, the npc moves in order for every patrol and in the second middle part, he moves randomly when he reachs a waypoint using a probability of 50 %.

Animation2.gif
    The npc in the right only has a single patrol to move and he always moves in a random position.

Here a gif of the waypoint builder:
    Animation7.gif
    Regards.​

43. hopeful

hopeful

One thing you can add to this pathway system - if it is a tiny add - would be a teleport option.

Let's say you are using the waypoints for a typical crowd scene: urban shoppers walking from one store to another.

If I have my pedestrians in a pool concept, rather than destroy them when they have reached their destination, I probably want to fade them out, teleport them to a new location, and have them execute a new "patrol". This way the pedestrians get re-used. (The same general sort of thing should also work for aircraft, cars, whatever.)

So if it is trivial to add it - I know this update is way late and would not wish to delay it further - maybe there can be an option for the pedestrian to fade and teleport then unfade as a way of transiting a route.

It could be, for instance, an option when shifting from one patrol route to another.

TymNetwork, emperor12321 and sr388 like this.
  44. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Every time someone asks for yet another feature to be added to this update, God kills a kitten. You don't want kittens to die, do you?

45. sr388

sr388

Lalalalalalalaa....UPS...

2af.gif
    I have been laughing a lot with that. Sorry, I couldn't avoid to think in this gif when I read your message @makeshiftwings.

Don't worry @hopeful, I already thought about that feature, I am working in a little project with a friend, and we need to make an enemy movig in random patrols, so it could be the most unpredictable possible, so that enemy will dissapear in some rooms only accessible to him, and appearing in other positions.

I have already planned a lot of new features for the AI (like waves, AI for vehicles, etc...), but they will be added in the next update (along with this), which won't take so much time. For now I have a closed list of features for the current AI.

Regards.

46. hopeful

hopeful

Thanks! :)

47. Firesoft

Firesoft

Thank you for your answer!

Very nice! My Body is ready haha :p

48. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

What day will it come out? I want it "fresh off the presses"...haha

49. sr388

sr388

I have the limit in this month, so before 1 of march, the update will be uploaded to the asset store. I still need to record the main video (along with others) make the asset draft and make some final work here and there.

Regards.

50. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

I HAVE THE BALLOONS AND CONFETTI READY TO DROP!

THE COUNT DOWN BEGINS! GTC! GTC! GTC! GTC!