Search Unity

Game built for mac has much lower graphics quality than that in the Unity Editor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yujingping, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Yujingping

Yujingping

Hi there. I am currently making a game for MacOS. When I try to test my game in the Unity Editor, everything is just fine. However, when I build the game to MacOS Application and run it on my MacBook 15inch Retina with Iris Pro graphics card, it seems to me that the images become blurry and aliasing, just like a very low resolution!

It is obvious that the game run in the player is much worse than that in the Unity Editor. I have tried googling all manners of solutions, including Quality settings, texture overriding and etc. Obviously none of them worked. However even though I just create an empty scene and add only one UI Label in Unity UI canvas, the quality is still annoying:

This is what it looks like in the Build Application.

This is what it looks like in the Editor.

Quality Setttings:

Fantastic - green arrow by default both in player and editor.

Pixel Light Count : 4

Texture Quality : Full Res

Anisotropic Textures : Forced On

Anti Aliasing : Disabled (Although disabled, it shouldn't be that the player has more blurs and aliases than the editor)

Unity Version : 5.5.1f1

MacOS version : 10.12.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Yujingping

Yujingping

Just mention a bit. It seems that the built application only supports LDR rather than HDR ... I don't know whether this is the problem of Unity Editor or the MacOS system or the graphics card.

3. Yujingping

Yujingping

Important Update: I built the same game for Windows and it runs correctly. Hence I think this issue is for the MacOS System. I am currently using the newest 10.12.3.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Wait, when you say it looks great "in the Unity editor," are you running this (Unity) on the same system as the one you're testing on?

5. Yujingping

Yujingping

Yes of course. I am running Unity on my MacBook, and everything is just fine. I built two versions of the game, one for the MacOS and one for the Windows. I ran the MacOS version of game on the same MacBook and the aliasing and blurry effect is shown. However when I ran the Windows version of game on another computer, everything is fine. Thank you for your reply, and if you need any more information please simply tell me.

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, then it can't be a problem with the system hardware or OS — if it looks great within the editor, then the system is (of course) capable of making it look great.

This means it must have something to do with the quality settings. But I know you've already fiddled with all the knobs you can think of. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with a good suggestion.

One more question though: are you running in windowed mode, or full screen? Does that make a difference?

7. Yujingping

Yujingping

I tried both running in windowed mode and full screen mode on MacOS and such an aliasing effect remains under both settings. However here is something weird when I tried windowed mode: my screen resolution is of 2880 * 1800, and when I tried a 1920 * 1200 windowed option, the game window is actually as large as about 3200 * 2000 rather than in common situations where the game window should locate totally inside my screen, which means my hardware actually rendered my game in 1920 * 1200 resolution but the OS has enlarged the window to 3200 * 2000 and potentially cause the effect.

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, it sounds as though you're somehow using the screen magnifier feature of the OS. When in this state (with the window), are you able to scroll around to different parts of the bigger-than-the-screen window by moving the mouse? And at the top, is the menu bar also magnified? Or is it just the window content?

9. Yujingping

Yujingping

I can move the window by dragging the menu bar, not by scrolling. The menu bar is not magnified. Only the windows content is influenced.

10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, then I don't quite understand this:

Can you post a full screenshot?

11. 333worm

333worm

I has the same experience: in the editor all looks great, but when I build the game(with Fantastic quality) for Mac OS X the quality became much worse(it seems like all textures are low resolution).
    I'm using: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).
    OS X version: 10.11.6 (15G31)
    Unity version: 5.5.1f1 Personal

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Have you checked the export settings on your textures? It's quite possible that Unity is doing exactly what it's been told to do...

13. User340

User340

14. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I wonder if this is what the posters above are seeing?

Anyway, I agree, it's rather shocking. I don't use a Retina display myself, so I never noticed, but it's something I assumed would Just Work (tm). It's very disappointing to hear that Unity doesn't support retina displays.

I've added my vote!

User340 likes this.
  15. Gerold_Meisinger

Gerold_Meisinger

There is another known issue that if you ever happened to build it with Resolution Dialog and selected low quality or low resolution, the setting is remembered on your computer for ever. Rebuilding or changing the resolution dialog flags won't fix it.

Try deleting these files:
    ~/Library/Preferences/unity.your.bundle.identifier.plist
    ~/Library/Application Support/Your Company Ltd
    ~/Library/Containers/your.bundle.identifier/
    Maybe also ~/Library/Preferences/Unity but this wipes your editor settings too

Or try on another Mac and make sure you select High Quality with a high resolution.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    JoeStrout likes this.
  16. User340

User340

Doesn't PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll() work?

17. FrozenGun

FrozenGun

macOS retina support is scheduled for Unity 2017.2, have a look at the Roadmap:
    https://unity3d.com/de/unity/roadmap

It's listed as "On Track", so hopefully in a few month we will have this. :)

18. User340

User340

It's available right now. Go grab 2017.2 :)

JoeStrout likes this.
  19. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hooray!

20. adam_mehman

adam_mehman

WebGL build on Mac is still really in bad quality for me, I am using Unity 2019.

Standalone build looks great.

Anyone has any clue what could be wrong?

cuttinged likes this.
  21. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

Unity WebGL builds don't currently support retina. That being said, they will in the future!

JoeStrout likes this.