Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Xrystal

Xrystal

Looks like you put a hell of a lot of work in that site ... or did you get your kids to earn their keep :p

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  2. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

That's a amazing website!!! :D

Cheers!!!
    NuclearRasberry

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  3. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

Any idea why this type doesn't seem to exist? I just recently updated Gaia after returning from a long hiatus, and I'm not sure why this error cropped up. Any help would be much appreciated!

Screenshot 2017-08-13 16.38.31.png

4. Xrystal

Xrystal

I've not come across this in the last few versions of Gaia if at all. But then I usually delete Gaia before reimporting a new version. What version did you upgrade from and did you remove Gaia before you reimported ?

First, try and import Gaia into a new project and see if you get the same problem.

If not then, make a copy of the project you are having the problem in and open the copy in Unity and delete the Gaia folder and reimport. Hopefully at this point you will only get the request to recreate the speed tree materials and everything else working fine.

5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I am not sure how you have created this - can you provide more info ?

As a general comment the open source json serialiser I am using causes issues on Windows Store Apps - and I plan to replace it with the Unity one in Gaia 2.

Yep a huge amount and more goodness to come. I wish my kids had the desire - there is no shortage of equipment here for them to use. Am exploring forums and a support ticketing system as well so that its easier to share knowledge, and so that issues dont fall through the cracks.

People contact me here, through facebook, through youtube, and directly, and it can be quite easy to lose requests.

6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Oh... and by the way... the new Fog Volume 3 with the Gaia integration has been submitted to the store by David Miranda. When it is live you will get access to it and it really can make a massive difference to your scenes.

The integration makes it literally just a few a few clicks to add fog and clouds, and you can do some pretty cool things with it!

Grab 20170813193247 w1920h1029 x33y93z63r141.jpg

7. Xrystal

Xrystal

Maybe it will skip a generation and your grandchildren will take over or they have seen how busy it makes you and they are too scared rofl.

8. Subere023

Subere023

Hey Adam,

I recently purchased Gaia and Gena to help me with a HoloLens project. Apparently, even the recent experimental .net 4.6 implementation does not allow your tools to compile a UWP app. It being a mobile platform, I am trying to generate small sections, want to process them through simplygon, then build with just mesh and texture data. I don't need to have anything built at runtime.

Is there a way to handle this type of output?

Thanks,
    Jason

9. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I was wondering where is Gaia 2 as far as release dates? I could really use that Multi-Terrain feature right about now. :)

10. mukki014

mukki014

Hi Adam , I've been using your Gaia and its totally awesome. But I wanna know. Can I change the resolution setting to 4k ? Also will it also increase the size of terrain ? Like unity basic terrain

11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone -

As you probably know I have been investing significantly in my web site - and am working on lifting my game across the board.

I monitor these forums but often don't get notified of posts - and as people have said - there is just too much here to wade through.

So - if you want support please go to https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home and log a request. These are tracked and wont fall though the cracks. I am also building up a knowledge base on the support system so chances are the solution to your issue will appear here.

I have also set up a forum system at http://www.procedural-worlds.com/forums/. It's not public in the navigation yet and still needs some theming and tidy up. This will be far more useful than these forums as we can create threads rather than having one big long stream of consciousness as we do here.

I have also created a new mailing list signup on the home page here : http://www.procedural-worlds.com/. This will be a very cool subscribers only news, reviews, tips n tricks & freebies source.

Please take a moment to have a look..

12. Xrystal

Xrystal

Noticed that there are forums connected to the support site. Was it intended to have 2 lots of forums?

13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Will probably remove from support site.

evilangel89 likes this.
  14. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

wish there was a "super like" button, wow.

15. SelbyUnity

SelbyUnity

I'd like to know this too Adam.

16. lafain

lafain

You're killing me, smalls!

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

While I understand peoples frustration with the delay to Gaia 2, the crazy nature of the asset store - unlike any other form of commercial software development - is that people expect pro quality to be delivered for next to free - and are not prepared to pay any form of maintenance.

If I was doing well enough financially out of the asset store just with Gaia then I could devote my time just to Gaia and life would be much easier for me personally - but the reality is that its not and the well being of my family will always come first.

I have commented several times now that if people need access to Gaia 2 early and are experienced Unity developers who are prepared to live with the rough edges then please contact me via the link below.

https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home

18. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

GOOD THINGS COME IN THREES
    To celebrate the launch of our new web site Gaia & GeNa are 25% off, and Pegasus is 20% off until the end of August! Get them at a this very special price and sign up for our free monthly news letter to get quality monthly news, reviews, and freebies!! http://www.procedural-worlds.com/
    Grab 20170619080905 w1920h1029 x-275y111z242r306.jpg

Mark_01 and S4G4N like this.
  19. S4G4N

S4G4N

20. lorddanger

lorddanger

My bad Luck I bought yesterday at full price

BTW In Gaia How to increase the Terrian size more than 2kmx2km???

S4G4N likes this.
  21. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Is the new Gaia release you just posted now working with Volume Fog 3? Can't wait to try that out!

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  22. GamerPET

GamerPET

Good job Adam on the new website!

Question:
    Is it possible for me to declare the points where I would like some trees and then let Gaia spawn them? I need exact controls on what areas to have trees.

Thanks

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - and its awesome - i will do a video on it very soon!

I am not doing support here any more - just more sales / info / general chat oriented stuff. The problem with the unity forums is that there is 176 pages of great material here - but its buried somewhere and lost in the noise.

Please come to new site and ask in forums there where we can set up proper threads and not lose the goodness- or alternatively - send me a direct support request.

Case in point.. this question has been answered many many times :)

Forums:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/forums/

Ticketed Support - I WILL get back to you!

One of the things I want to be really good at is support. The ticketing system i hooked up last week captures information from multiple channels and I am amazed at how well it is working. While I can not answer all the questions that get asked - I can at least try.

24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks for your support - GeNa and Pegasus are also on sale - you wont be dissapointed :)

25. lorddanger

lorddanger

26. Mark_01

Mark_01

He is right the link is broken Try Time stamp at 44 seconds in

Or key in a search phrase at the top of this forum https://forum.unity3d.com/search/8050766/?q=terrain+size+default&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=327342 ( I keyed in a search for " terrain size default "
    The best answer I think you may like I found mostly on page 2 of that search Quote " you can change that in the GaiaDefaults file. Best thing is to duplicate that file, rename it, and drag the renamed file to the Defaults field on the Gaia window. So you can have a different GaiaDefaults file for each terrain size. "

When you open up the Gaia manager Click on the place that says Defaults GaiaDefaults(GaiaDefaults)
    The Resources GaiaResources (GaiaResource) is right under that. it is the first thing you see down from
    when you first open the manager. If you click on the File it will show you where it is, and or
    you can make a new one. I'd say for sure, yes just duplicate it so you won't have to spend as much time,
    to change a few Options. Sorry that is the best I can offer for advice.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    AdamGoodrich likes this.
  27. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks for the heads up. Some pages did not make the transition to the new site, and the tool that is suppose to find broken links never flagged it.

As per my previous comments - I will not be doing support here any more. Every time I get a new question if it makes sense I will add to the knowledge base on my support site.

The answer to your question is here : https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk....66572-how-do-i-change-the-size-of-my-terrain-

28. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

I own Gaia but am not currently using it.
    My game type is top down ARPG with procedurally generated content.
    I am now focusing on the outside portion of the game.
    I need to be able to create the terrain at runtime, and relatively flat(where the walking would be done).
    So far I only see Gaia generate terrain similar to Skyrim.
    Although there is nothing wrong with that, it won't work too well in a top down ARPG.
    Do you think using Gaia for this would work?

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's possible to do runtime terrain with Gaia, but I don't support it as it has not been optimised for this. Check out RuntimeStamper.cs.

Top down or first person - makes no difference to the terrain generation aspect - you would just change what you spawn to be more inline with the look you want to get.

S4G4N likes this.
  30. Xrystal

Xrystal

In addition, bumpy or flat terrain is controlled by yourself .. just adjust the stamps you use so that the height is not so big. By default Gaia uses a height of 1000 but there is nothing to stop you adjusting that to say 100 or even 10. The spawner system simply uses its rules in conjunction with the terrain layout to place its stuff.

S4G4N likes this.
  31. lorddanger

lorddanger

Hello ,
    With Gaia is it possible to make multiple chunks of 2kmsq terrian merge them instead of one giant one need of for about 20-30 kmsq

32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

No.

33. cyeninas

cyeninas

Can someone tell me which scripts are loaded on the Water object by default? They all show up as "The associated script can not be loaded." with no mention of what script it's trying to load. Trying to figure out what I broke

34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

At some point the directions would have told you to be sure you loaded some of Unity's standard assets including Environment. The water is just the water from Unity's Environment standard asset package.

cyeninas likes this.
  35. cyeninas

cyeninas

Right, as I said, figured I broke something, it was working before and I had followed the instructions. I believe another asset messed about with the standard assets.

36. EdWaters

EdWaters

A few thoughts on this:

We all recognize the need to support the Asset Store developers in our community and (speaking for myself) don't mind paying to keep them and their families going. Whether we treat Unity as a hobby or a businesses, either requires things that cost money. Software is one of those things.

Many Asset Store developers generate continuing income in the form of an upgrade charge at major releases or maintain the core at no cost and add feature packs for a fee. I've already paid a few of each these and I've only been doing this since March! Perhaps one of these should be the approach for Gaia 2: Charge a small fee for Gaia 2 or offer
    feature packs (GPU computing, multi-tiling worlds, etc.) for a fee. I sure many others would agree with me.

Supporting what we create can be quite challenging. I'm glad that you are simplifying your support process and providing a repository of answers to common questions. This should help to bring some balance to your life. One thing to keep in mind: sometimes we need to know when to declare victory, i.e. stop adding to our project and move on.

My two cents.

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

In other news, I recently launched the World Manager API (WAPI). WAPI is an open source project that acts as a middleware bridge between different assets to provide a common API to manage everything.

In this video, the scene was created with Gaia, rendered with CTS, water is AQUAS, lighting and weather is Enviro, and clouds are both Enviro and Fog Volume 3. World Manager was the middleware glue, and it was all driven by timeline!

The CTS WAPI integration will be included in the next CTS release, and the timeline integrations will be pushed to WAPI in the next few days. You can learn more about WAPI and get your free copy here : https://github.com/adamgoodrich/WorldManager

Finally - don't forget, Gaia, GeNa and Pegasus are all on sale until the end of August.

kerrmedia, runningbird, S4G4N and 7 others like this.
  38. HappySylveon

HappySylveon

Is it possible to generate toon or cartoonish terrain? also I don't want so much heights

39. Xrystal

Xrystal

For the cartoonish terrain you may have to create a custom version of the shader to include the cartoony effect, and hopefully without affecting the terrain texturing.

For the heights, simply adjust the height for the terrain using the settings file. Preferably by making a copy of the default settings and making your custom changes. Or for one off height adjustments, use the height slider to lower the height of each stamp before you confirm it in place.

Also, in case you missed the post, there are forums for Gaia that Adam would prefer to have problems and queries posted to so that they can be easier to find than this 176 page single forum. If you go back a page or two you should see a post from Adam regarding it.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  40. jagatai33

jagatai33

i apologize if this has already been asked, in a full client build i get the following (in development).

Code (CSharp):
    1. The file provided is not a valid stamp. You need to drag the stamp preview from one of the directories underneath your Gaia Stamps directory.
    Thanks
    -J

41. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

If low poly is what you are going for, you could also try Polyworld. I did some tutorials on this here.

43. Fooxoo

Fooxoo

Hi there

I'm using Gaia for a few weeks on small terrains (500x500) and now I need to create a bigger terrain (4000x4000).
    I'm creating a forest, with many trees, so the location increament for my tree spawner is of only 8 meters.

My problem is that on a big terrain, spawning of trees becomes extremely slow. I have to wait litterally 1 hour to get it done, so it becomes impossible for me to test and try different parameters. Is there any way to make the tree spawner faster? Like disabling spawner colliders or something else?

Thanks

44. Fooxoo

Fooxoo

I commented the lines 686 to 703 of SpawnRule.cs to prevent it from creating spawn colliders for trees. It's now something like 100x faster and I don't notice any difference. What is the risk of doing that ?
    Is there a better way to speed up tree spawner?

45. evilangel89

evilangel89

Hi Foxoo, Adam moved support completely to his own website. May be submit a ticket there and he'll reach out to you. In case you missed the website is www.procedural-worlds.com

To quote Adam from a couple of posts before yours

Ticketed support... :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    AdamGoodrich likes this.
  46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Made with... ZERO coding!

Environment created with Gaia & GeNa and making great use of the CTS weather capability!!

Don't forget Gaia and GeNa are 25% off until the end of the month.

Tomorrow I will do a "how it was made" video for those that would like to learn :)

47. li-yin-jun

li-yin-jun

48. Xrystal

Xrystal

I think the order you import the Unity Camera and Light and import Gaia makes a difference. When I had the problem before the files sorted it .. however, the next project I made it went bad again and that is the only thing that could have been different. What version of Gaia/Unity do you have and what import process do you do?

That aside, I can confirm that the link has disappeared due to the website changes. However, I cannot find the new location for it. If you keep getting the problem regardless of which way round you import you might want to post the problem on Adam's new problem page.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Its no longer required - this added into Gaia in the 1.6+ updates.

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

And as promised :