Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Xrystal

Xrystal

*puts on manly voice* no problem man :p

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Sometimes in hindsight I question my design decisions - what was i thinking?! :)

Yep its red - but its just a warning. The test is run at the end of every character you type... So 4 -> error message, 40 -> error message. 409 -> error message -> 4096 - All good - no message.

3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just a heads up - even though Gaia works perfectly fine across Unity versions, the upgrade process confuses a lot of people, and the change in the standard assets now breaks the lighting plugin (fix is available from my web site).

So next week I plan to do a little maintenance update to get rid of the annoyances introduced across unity versions.

4. mattis89

mattis89

So its out now ? :D

A question tough, CTS confuses mee, does gaia 2 comes with a own shader? Or is it CTS that makes gaia 2 look awesome?

5. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

@AdamGoodrich is it possible to alter the size of the box (or sphere) that is used to define the bounds of the spawning region?

6. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

So when does Gaia 2 launch?

I really want to use it :)

7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes. Spawn range i think.

Gaia does its best with unity terrain - but its average. Gaia + CTS (or other good terrain shader) makes unity terrain look awesome.

Same old answer - when its ready. Its been slowed down for last moth with the release of CTS. I jump back full time into G2 next week.

8. Ramulos

Ramulos

Anyone have any suggestions on how to wrap a stamped island terrain around to form a floating island?

9. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Unity terrains are just displaced horizontal planes. While they can be moved, they can never be wrapped, tilted, or rotated from their original orientations. Since Gaia creates standard Unity terrains, this same rule applies to it. This leaves a couple of options if you wish to use Gaia as part of the process. The first is to export the finished terrain as a mesh, and modify it in a 3D modelling app to create your floating island, which can then be exported back to Unity. Gaia includes a Terrain OBJ Exporter under the Utilities menu if you decide to go this route. The second is to drape a standard terrain over a matching mesh, so that the mesh forms the base of the floating island, while the terrain provides the planted top surface.

There are pros and cons to both approaches. Exporting the terrain as a mesh gives you more freedom to modify the final result to whatever shape you want, but you end up with a mesh rather than a terrain, so will no longer be able to use Gaia, or other terrain based tools to plant or texture it once you bring it back into Unity. You can still use GeNa to plant it, and various vertex paint tools to texture it, so you still have a few options available, but just be aware that you'll need to find other solutions to finish the job. Draping a terrain over a mesh base preserves the terrain, and allows continued use of terrain based tools on the top at least, but restricts you to a more or less square shape for the floating island, or at least the planted top section.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Been kinda quiet in here lately as my focus has been on getting CTS out the door.

CTS and Gaia will be amazing together - cant wait! Here is a nice video list of whats coming in the next few days to the asset store :)

I will make a CTS integration available for Gaia next week.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Looks great Adam. Congrats! This is a super welcome addition to all Gaia lovers! And the integration with Gaia 2 will definitely add more value!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone - I am pleased to announce that my latest project CTS - Complete Terrain Shader just went live!!

Bart and I are very proud of it, and while it will work on any terrain, it will also get a lot of of love from Gaia.

13. Acissathar

Acissathar

What is the non-sale price going to be?

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

$50

BackwoodsGaming and Acissathar like this.
  15. mattis89

mattis89

Thats awesome! I bought a ps4 yesterday and got the game Horizon Zero Dawn with it wich have beautiful terrains, the rocks looks like they actually are lying on top of the "mud" and not just flat painted on top. And you guys have achieved a similar results wich I think is very nice, the way it should look! Great job :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  16. mattis89

mattis89

@AdamGoodrich

It says on the asset store "....or let your favorite weather system controll it"... does it mean that it's quite easy to use together with tenkoku? Like whenever it rains the ground gets wet and so on?
    Sounds like this asset is something a one man game developer needs :)

17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Enviro, UniStorm and Tenoku are all on the way :)

18. BonsaTech

BonsaTech

Hi @AdamGoodrich , is there any update on the multi tile support? Is there any ETA for the next release?

19. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi @AdamGoodrich. I am new to unity and its terrain system. I have a question. Is there a LOD system for a terrain created from Gaia.

20. mattis89

mattis89

Consider it bought :)

21. Xrystal

Xrystal

Gaia works with Unity's terrain system so the terrains you create with Gaia will have the same LOD set up that the standard Unity Terrain has. If I remember correctly each terrain object has an LOD setting based on its location from the camera view. If neighbours are set up correctly ( I think this is only possible via code ) then neighbouring terrain blocks will have the same LOD settings. You will have to test yourself to see if that fits your LOD requirements.

22. Xrystal

Xrystal

23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes - CTS delayed things a little - wrestling with internal intricacies of Unity... always seems to take longer than expected.

The good news is - that the two working together are going to be absolutely stellar.

mattis89, Mark_01 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  24. kaptured

kaptured

I would like to apply textures to an already created terrain via a script. Does anyone know how to do this?

25. Xrystal

Xrystal

Do you mean, you want to use a different set of textures on your terrain and use Gaia to distribute the texture based on its rule set ? If so you should be able to do this fine by following the tutorial here : http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/spawners-unity-terrain-textures/ which talks you through how to use the texture settings and adjust them to suit your requirements by switching out and adjusting values on a custom settings file for the terrain.

26. kaptured

kaptured

No, I meant that I have a terrain that I am generating from a heightmap at runtime (this is not done with Gaia), and then I want to use a script so that Gaia will apply textures to that terrain when the game runs. I think I can maybe do this with the SpawnTextureExtension but I'm not really sure how to do it.

27. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia is not tuned for runtime spawning - and as such I don't support it.

In the upcoming Gaia 2 things will be tuned for runtime and editor time spawning, and with GPU compute it is now essentially real time but the new release is still a way off.

In the mean time, the code is laid out in sections and directories that more or less describe its intention. Take a look at Spawner.cs in the Spawning section and RunSpawnerIteration.

evilangel89 likes this.
  28. ShadLandProjects

ShadLandProjects

hi is there a tutorial on how i would use the 3dforge exteriors kit with gaia?

29. Xrystal

Xrystal

As far as I know there is nothing particularly specific to it. However, there is a tutorial on spawning objects which the exteriors kit can be made a part of. For example, if there was a barrel object/prefab amongst the collection, you can add it to the list of objects to spawn similar to the terrain based items such as trees and grass. Specify the rules on where and when that particular should and shouldn't spawn and spawn away.

I suspect you would use the exterior kit to make a building or group of buildings such as a farm or village etc. If that is the case, then simply creating a prefab out of that set up and then using that prefab as the object to spawn with its rules, you would get results.

I hope that answers your question. If not perhaps a revisit to the object spawning tutorial may remind you of its flexibility.

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/spawners-gameobject-poi/

Of course someone who has their kits will be able to assist you with a better insight :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  30. ShadLandProjects

ShadLandProjects

that pretty much answered it...i would have to build the group of buildings myself tho right? before they actually get grouped together?

31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

To get specific layouts yes.

There is an integration as well - after you have installed the exteriors kit, go to extensions, and there are some spawners already set up for you.

If you want to set them up yourself there is a video here that shows you how to do it:

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  32. Xrystal

Xrystal

Thanks Adam, I totally forgot the built in buildings are a sample of the kit itself, it would have made my explanation a whole lot easier rofl

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  33. ShadLandProjects

ShadLandProjects

I'm not wanting the ones from the free 3d forge. Are you saying you have layouts with all of the things in the full exteriors pack? For like small farms and large farms and even castle layouts?

34. Xrystal

Xrystal

I think Adam means something like this ... ( correct me if I am wrong Adam ) ..

This is a screen shot of my Gaia Manager GX window showing my Backwoods Gaming Stamp Extension Packs. I suspect this is where the Exterior Kit will appear when you add it to your Gaia project. The Exterior Kit Asset will probably have a set of scripts that will work with Gaia as if it was a part of it ( similar to these Stamp Extensions ). Adam is probably saying that the Exteriors Asset will have a set of layouts already made up to show you how it works. They may or may not be the same as the ones that come with Gaia.

gaia extensions.png

AdamGoodrich and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

This is where you will see extensions that are built for Gaia.. (Thanks for your support purchasing the stamp packs, btw :) ) There are some free layouts that come in an extension with the purchase of the Exteriors Kit. At this time I think it is only some farm/homesteads and a couple of small village type things. Adam can speak more to that as I think he may have helped Cobus create the POIs for the extension.

However, if you take and watch the video that Adam linked, you can also learn how to take the blueprints that Cobus provides free on his website and convert those to POIs that you can spawn with Gaia as well. :)

But basically any asset you purchase that has a Gaia extension for spawning, stamping, or whatever other Gaia functionality, it will be in that GX menu that Xrystal described. Custom POI spawners that you create will only be in your Gaia resources file.

Goodgulf likes this.
  36. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Extensions are done by the author of the assets. I know Cobus as done a bunch of additional ones. I highly doubt he would have done the whole pack.

@S4G4N ?

TeagansDad and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  37. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

does Gaia have option to make terrain to mesh thanks ??

38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

yes

39. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

thanks but i didn't find any tutorials (Youtube channel) on how to convert terrain and it's content to mesh
    or in Website tutorials http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/
    can u tell me how to export terrain and it's materials thanks again

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

To export terrain to mesh look under advanced menu. You will also have to explore its splats, and then feed to a shader that can render it.

xxhaissamxx likes this.
  41. akannath1

akannath1

Hello Adam,
    I am very new to unity and GAIA - I recently purchased gaia and was going through the initial tutorial when I got stuck in one specific step - (10. Then select the GX menu, Procedural Worlds (that’s me), then click Set Linear Deferred Lighting, then click Create Camera Effects, then click Set Afternoon Light…)
    After I click the create camera effect - I seem to get this error : (ArgumentException: Shader not found (Hidden/Post FX/Uber Shader)
    UnityEngine.PostProcessing.MaterialFactory.Get (System.String shaderName) (at Assets/PostProcessing/Runtime/Utils/MaterialFactory.cs:26)
    UnityEngine.PostProcessing.PostProcessingBehaviour.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) (at Assets/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessingBehaviour.cs:201)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    )
    Once I click play - the entire scene goes dark. I have attached a screenshot of the error in unity. Any help is appreciated.
    Note: My unity version is 5.6.2f1 and I am using camera and light preview from : http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/gaia-extensions/camera-and-light-preview/
    UnityScreenshot.jpg

42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi - your screen seems to indicate that there is an issue with Uber shader - which I think is unity post processing shader. Try disabling post processing script on your player.

Btw.. nice scene - that would look very cool at player level!

43. akannath1

akannath1

Thanks Adam!
    Disabling the post processing script helps display the scene - but do I miss any effects in my game due to doing so? (Sorry I am fairly new to unity).

Apart from this minor issue (that seemingly only I faced) it has been a wonderful experience with Gaia! I am very new to unity and am already creating breathtaking sceneries with Gaia. Your tutorials regarding Gaia and Gena are awesome (yet to look at your other products). Thanks a lot for making this so simple for beginners like me.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Strange that Unity post fx causes Issue. Is your lighting set to linear / deferred ?

45. akannath1

akannath1

Yes I had clicked "Set Linear Deferred Lighting" Button and it transformed lighting of the scene to a more realistic view also. Maybe it is something with this newest version of unity? Would you suggest going back to any specific unity version?

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

No - i generally had no issue with unity and their post fx. Try disabling each of the settings in the post fx profile (after re-enabling the component), and see which one is giving you the issue.

47. Tovrin

Tovrin

It's been a while since I've been here. Any update on tiled landscapes?

48. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

is there way to create large terrain without Stampers ?

49. Xrystal

Xrystal

Gaia is simply a tool for you to use on the unity terrain via the stampers. If you do not want the stampers then simply select the Unity Terrain and create the terrain by hand. You can then go back to the Gaia Manager and set the texture and object spawners and they will apply on the terrain you have created by hand.

Hopefully this answers your question.

50. Xrystal

Xrystal