Search Unity

FXLab - Unity Effects (Does NOT require Unity Pro)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Marrrk, Oct 10, 2013.

1. cristims

cristims

Thank you!

2. nukeD

nukeD

Sure PM is something else, but you'll be surprised how many assets conflict with each other for the simplest things.
    ... There is only one way to find out...

BOUGHT!

[some time later]
    I tested the DOF, and it works PERFECTLY... Tested in a big outdoor scene with lots of things going on (Vehicle Physics, SkyShop applied to every texture, around 80 billboard trees with lots of transparency, SWS, Playmaker) and i didnt notice ANY performance hit on my 3 years old laptop running windows, even when the texture was in full resolution.

Great work, a million thanks!

PS: i have a little comment/question about the DOF effect, but will post a screenshot when i have more time.

Thanks again!

3. Marrrk

Marrrk

Sounds great! Can you post some screenshots of your project? I want to see how it looks in a real environment, if this is not possible, no problem at all :)

4. nukeD

nukeD

Sure, but in a while. Not much time now.

5. nukeD

nukeD

Ok, here is a quick viewer with a fps counter, for people to check out the Bloom performance.

a gameplay from another game coming in next post

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  6. nukeD

nukeD

OK, ive quickly put together a video of my pet project, with a bunch of the best assets we've got for Unity FREE working together and looking amazing...
    FXLabs is there to overload your senses!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  7. Marrrk

Marrrk

Thank you, nice to see some advanced racing games here :)

Interesting to see how good the Shadow Softener looks like.

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. angel_m

angel_m

Marrrk, is it possible you make the PP effects compliant with shader model 2.0 ?

10. Marrrk

Marrrk

@TheBlur: Did you just hijack my thread? I created the depth texture (no fake) by using and modifying the depth shaders provided by Unity.

@angel_m: Should be possible, but this depends on the PP effect, not all effects are suitable for 2.0 only. Do you have a wishlist for that? I can do some tests with it and tell you more.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. angel_m

angel_m

I am interested in Bloom and DOF.

12. Marrrk

Marrrk

These are some of the harder ones, I will have a look and report back once I know more about the doability.

13. Marrrk

Marrrk

I glanced over the current implementation and I was not able to reduce it to SM2.0 without a bigger rewrite of the shader. I may work on it any time later, but currently I have no time for it because of the development of v1.1. Sorry about that.

May I ask what device you are targeting that you require SM2.0 shaders?

14. angel_m

angel_m

It is for older graphics cards and for Android devices.

15. mimminito

mimminito

16. Marrrk

Marrrk

Many of them are possible, thats whats the next version (1.1) is targeting at, supporting and adding more PP effects besides other things. I hope that I will be able to submit the next version at the 10. November.

17. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi Maaaaaaark.

A free stripped down version would be really great as i need to test performances before buying :)

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But a free stripped down version would essentially give away the complete source. You should check the webplayer. Also it pays to at least get someone's name right with cut and paste. Seems like you are disrespectful.

19. darkhog

darkhog

I'll buy it after my financial situation will get normalized a little (should be somewhere this or next month as I'm paying my final rate of credit now).

Say, would be possible to add dynamic shadows to the package or is it out of scope? I know that we can do it from one directional light now, but while this is enough for outdoor environment (as sun is only one light source that may cast lights, other sources can be neglected), but for indoor environment one dir light is really crippling. And since my game is mostly indoor environments...

//edit: Also, could you compile desktop versions of webplayer demos? I have troubles loading them (webplayer is crashing). I have similar troubles with many Unity games that have webplayer version and usually Desktop version works without hinch. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  20. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi there,

sorry for the late response, I wish the forum would provide a better notification system for new replies to threads.

@cpasjuste: As hippocoder already said, this would give away the whole source of the asset. You can use the provided WebPlayer demos to determine performance, or wait till I create some desktop builds (Windows only, as I don´t own any other OS).

@darkhog: The ability to create depth textures from the view of specific cameras exists, this is a requirement for most shadow techniques and with it it should be possible to write some shaders which produce shadows based upon this textures. The next version (which is pending a AssetStore review) will include the ability to better handle and use these textures.

Regarding the desktop version of the demos: I will create some.

21. marcipw

marcipw

Great job Marrrk!

I just bought it. FXLab has so many uses that I just couldn't say no.

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Marrrk: no, no. If that was a hijack, it was not intended. BTW, i did not know you could do that with a shader. (I kind of guessed the shader bit by looking at an old post and seeing "FXLab.cginc" in one of your shaders) Does it work by calculating depth in the shader?

23. Marrrk

Marrrk

TheBlur: Download the BuildIn Unity shaders (http://unity3d.com/unity/download/archive) there is the default depth and normal+depth shader used by unity to write the data for the depth/normal textures. The FXLab.cginc does only contain the stuff needed by FXLab to read from the RenderTextures generated by FXLab.

24. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi ipopocoder... seems like you are 14 years old with this sort of reply. Well if you are I can understand you like to copy/past but it's not my case. You remind me the kids bashing on irc when i was idling there ... twenty years ago ... You couldn't understand the joke? Don't you have anything more interesting to do? I wonder who was disrespectful here. But if you want to play with words I would say it's really hard to use the cut function on a nickname in the forum :p
    But well, I forgive you, and maybe my English is not good enough so I may sometime not explain myself correctly.

Back to the topic, there's some way to protect your sources, like obfuscation and/or libraries. But i can understand the time it could take. I'm only targeting mobile platforms and all my code is highly optimized, but it was not the case on most asset I've buyed on the asset store.

That said the price is great so I may take the risk (Only need a few effects sometime here or there).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  25. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@cpasjuste

I completely understand hippocoder and have the same view on this.

26. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Ha, ok, I promise I won't ever try to joke on a nickname anymore.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Cool. I was actually trying to generate my own depth texture for something like SSAO or tilt-shift blur, so i might have a look at that. (I actually have the built-in shaders, so i might get started now!)

28. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey there, a while back I was bugging you about an Oculus Rift shader to convolve ( it think thats the word) the screen for Oculus output, someone has since pmed me on the Oculus forums asking more about it and that he contacted you. I've decided that since he he seemed so enthused i'm going to try and write something that took care of the other problem with Unity Free and the oculus which is getting the HMD rotations via a dll. If I have any luck with that I may get in touch again, you'll be doing a big bunch of the community oculus community a favour if i can work this out so yes, be, possibly, prepared for a pm or somesuch outlining exact details, if you're willing

29. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi lazygunn, I answered you per PM. The usage of the OR device in combination with FXLab sounds interesting and I will have a look into this matter.

30. lazygunn

lazygunn

Cheers! Hopefully that should work out lovely, had a run through this asset now, it's bloody great, obv a performance hit against pro rendertextures but it really does look grand, really a very generous asset given the price and the cool stuff it lets you do

31. Marrrk

Marrrk

FXLab 1.1.0 has been released!

Changelog:

• full rewrite of the RenderTexture system
    • RenderTextures are now available as assets
    • added multiple new post processing effects
    • removed the max 4 textures restriction
    • removed the max 50% screen resolution texture resolution restriction
    • added capture screen component
    • redesigned the material system to allow rendertexture assignments
    • removed the old sample scenes
    • added new good looking sample scenes

By updating to this version, many changes will occur in your existing scenes. in most cases you need to do nothing at all, but you should open your scenes scene and open all objects which use FXLab in the inspector just to be sure. The changes made are worth the hopefully minimal effort.

When importing the new version, you should delete the existing samples directory as Unity is not able to cleanup changes made in the directory structure.

Hope you like the changes!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  32. lazygunn

lazygunn

Thanks to this asset Unity Free now plays with the Oculus Rift in quite an amenable way, good work! If anyone's interested in the hows and whys let me know, but this asset really is great stuff, and inexplicable a choice to ignore if you use Unity Free, although they do need a recent, decent PC to get the most out of

33. codedellsaber

codedellsaber

unfortunately is not working in my android Samsung S3. The shock wave fx comes out pink, but i love this asset the fx you can make with the sharers are amazing xD.

34. Marrrk

Marrrk

Do you use a Mac? There seem to be problems with Mac systems (OpenGL shaders) which i fixed in the next patch (already submitted), I can provide a hot fix if this may be the case for you.

35. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Marrrk your latest update appears to have broken support of opengl es2 and opengl es3 so it no longer works on mobile devices. Do you think this issue will also be fixed by your hotfix that you mentioned above ? Feel free to send it to me if you would like me to test it.

36. Marrrk

Marrrk

Yes, that's exactly what will happen,

unfortunately Unity did not present me the errors in the shader when I recompiled every one of them, although the error is visible when viewing into the compiled version of the affected shaders. I found the issue and fixed it.

A hotfix would be that you replace the whole FXLab/Shaders directory with the Shader directory in this archiv and the content of FXLab/Resources with the Resources directory from the archiv (exit Unity and replace the directory without Unity running, or just copy the content over the already existing Shaders directory):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2446365/Shader.zip

After that everything should be reimported and will work.

You can also wait until Friday, the fix should then be approved by Unity and live in the AssetStore.

Sorry for the problems, I really didn't know that Unity will not display the glsl errors when running Unity with Windows.

37. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Marrrk it looks like the update already went live on the asset store if November 18 is when you uploaded it. I updated it and tested it and it appears to work correctly under opengl es3 now with the exception of the smoothparticle scene. The particles look smooth on my pc but they aren't smooth on mobile. The previous smooth particles worked on both. It also looks like your new implementation of render textures is now using too many texture channels or options to be compatible with opengl es2 where as previously all of the shaders worked correctly in opengl es2 none of them appear to now. Your new sunshaft effects and multi view camera effects look great though and the option to export textures is great. I'm assuming you made all the changes to make more effects possible and make the system more flexible but it might be an idea to include a fallback to your previous shaders that are compatible for opengles2 if possible as most mobiles still use it.

38. nukeD

nukeD

Hey Marrrk, is it possible to achieve a chromatic aberration effect, like in this demo?
    If not, do you have it planned?
    If not, how much do we have to beg :D ?

Thanks in advance!

39. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi there,

@IanStanbridge: I need to check the GLES2 specs to see what I did wroing, I assumed that it just uses the SM3.0 specs and that these will be equal through every device which uses SM3.0 too. What goes wrong with the soft particles at GLES3 is a riddle for me, maybe Unity does generate different outputs per device (shader defines, eg.).

I will have a look into this issue too. Thanks for the report.

@nukeD:
    Should be easily made, do you want it as a part of the vignette effect (which currently only fades to a grayscale image at the edges) or as a separate shader?

40. Marrrk

Marrrk

@nukeD:

How about that:
    ChromaticAberration.shader
    WebPlayer

Its very pixelated because I used a low resolution texture, I forgot to change that.

The shader has currently following options:
    Shift - how much should the distance between each color be.
    Blur Steps - how smooth should the dispersion look.
    Bias and Size - when and how should the dispersion appear.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  41. piercew102

piercew102

@lazygunn: I for one and very interested in the hows and whys. I'm guessing it has something to do with the radial glass distortion mimicking the warp effect of the Oculus Rift sdk. But can you still use the tracking feature in unity indie?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  42. andyfilms

andyfilms

Would love to see some motion blur and ambient occlusion samples!

43. mk1978

mk1978

This looks really nice! Would it be possible to share your settings for DOF and Bloom when using FXLab?

44. RC15

RC15

Hi congratulation for this asset.
    I've read this thread and I would like to know it there is any news about @IanStanbridge post.
    Is there any problem for mobile platform (iOS and Android) ?!

Thanks

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

46. olivier-etienne

olivier-etienne

The new updated version bring lots of cool new screen effect, thank you very much,
    this asset really is a standard for all unity free users.
    But would consider a simple demo scene just like in the first release?
    The new one is complex and when adding the screen effects, the performance is decreased so drastically that
    it become difficult to appreciate the effect.
    And the demo can no longer be tested on Mobile Platform due to performance issues.
    A Demo like in the Web player should be perfect.
    Please bear that in mind for future release.
    Thanks for this amazing asset.

47. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi there,

could anybody with en ES2 device and the mentioned problems post some error messages? Maybe from the faulting shaders or other things? This would help to solve this issue.

@olivier etienne: Which screen effects especially? There are several which are quite GPU heavy.

Also as a side note: If you plan to upgrade to Unity Pro, FXLab will support Unity pro in the next version, which means, that it will automatically use the real native RenderTextures Unity pro provides and you don´t need to start over from scratch or lie with a poor performance.

Compare yourself:

Unity Free:
    www.dras.biz/FXLab/Samples/MegaSample/MegaSample.html

Unity Pro:
    www.dras.biz/FXLab/Samples/MegaSamplePro/MegaSamplePro.html

That said, improving the system for Unity Free is still the top priority.

48. nukeD

nukeD

Hey Marrrk, many thanks for the fast response, the time and the work! Thanks man!
    Please show me how to use it. Dragging it to the FXLab/resources/shaders folder gives me errors.
    Please excuse my ignorance :oops:

49. Marrrk

Marrrk

Put it into FXLab/Shaders/PostProcessing, this will do.

50. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Marrrk o $fxlabshadererror.jpg n my windows machine it looks like your shaders are failing to compile for directx11 and so the compiler is leaving the headers for the other platform compiles after that point empty forcing the other platforms to to try and use the closest thing they are compatible with or just using the fallback shader. For example on directx11 it makes the water black due to the compile error while the rest of the objects render correctly in the scene because they are using standard unity shaders. The only platforms that are fully compiled in your shaders appear to be directx9 and a generic opengl shader model 3 entry. Im assuming this might explain the strange issues with opengles devices. If you look at the assembly code for one of standard unity shaders they have entries compiled specifically for all the platforms ps3, opengles2, opengles3 etc. I also have warning in the compiler about some of your files having inconsistent line endings although it is just a warning not an error.

I've attached a screenshot of the unity shader error report to this post for your water shader as an example.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013