Search Unity

FX Packs - EffectCore Work-in-progress thread (Stylized - Mobile - VR)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Effectcore, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Effectcore

Effectcore

This thread will work as a work-in-progress thread in what I am doing, feel free to comment and give critique on things you like or do not like. I will be reading through everything

I highly recommend writing comments on FXs or things that would interest you as a consumer to have in your project, I will be posting thoughts and ideas myself in this thread.

I will try to have packs in smaller packs so consumers might be able to pickout what they really need for their project rather than 200+ effects, working with quality rather than quantity will be more of my approach.

There is a high chance I will include all the packs into bigger “ultimate”-packs, but first I have to focus on making the smaller ones.

My first debut pack: Explosion pack #1:

Asset store link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79037

DEMO LINK: https://christian-nordgren.itch.io/stylized-explosion-pack-1

- Mobile friendly
    - 3 Different sizes (all explosions are fully scaleable)
    - 6+ presets (more will be coming in updates)
    - Custom Scripts to change colors
    - Modular components

GIFS:
    http://imgur.com/a/4CHGN

Explosion Types

Explosions is something that a lot of games have, so I intend to make more explosion packs with different approaches

Any critique or comments is much appreciated because I intended to make more packs so I really want to learn from my mistakes from the previous ones.

2. Effectcore

Effectcore

3. Effectcore

Effectcore

A projectiles I am currently doing research into.

Slash effect pack is currently in review

Zimbres and Hans like this.
  4. Hans

Hans

Woo Nice, they should work very well for a spell caster.

Any chance you could do some EO & some ground effects to go with them?

Thanks
    PS - F&^%$ love the art Style.....keep it coming....dont change a thing :)
    Hans

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  5. Effectcore

Effectcore

Yes the plasma bullets have decals, the bigger plasma projectiles have more massive impact.
    I made sure the hit effect work with most surfaces.

What exactly is EO?

also thanks man, I really enjoy making these!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  6. Hans

Hans

Nice

Sorry total screwed the acronym should have been AOE

EO - Area of effect

I wont use these on a Mobile .... i hope they will stand up to a PC Beauty

7. Effectcore

Effectcore

haha typos happens! I was doing intense googling and I felt Electro-Optic couldn't have been what you were after.

I would love to do more AOE effects, the big plasma projectiles does have a stronger "impact" but I wouldn't consider it a AOE at the moment. I will try having the packs very separate from each other so the customer can pick what he/she wants.

If you have any specific AOE-effects you would like to see, tell me!

In future explosion packs there might more themes like EMP-electric/lightning bomb or Ice-bomb-blast etc. I do have a list of potential packs, but regardless I try to look what the customers want, if I get multiple requests of certain type of effects I will naturally prioritize it.

The effects are not only tailored for mobile, but I do have in mind and test the effects on mobile to make and certainly try to always find ways to lower particle count or advanced shaders. I know some developers that have used the stylized explosion pack#1 PC games but I hope to see them in a product on steam or console.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  8. gskinner

gskinner

Oh man, I want those projectile pack so bad. Do you have an ETA? We're going to be using these in our upcoming VR title for Vive. Amazing work and please keep it coming!

9. Effectcore

Effectcore

@gskinner I can't tell for sure because I still have loads of testing to do. I will be working fulltime freelance after 3rd march so I will be able to speed up the production quite significantly, let me know what other effects you would need that could potentially fit into asset store pack!

Here is another tease from the projectile weapon pack with railbeams and bullets:
    http://i.imgur.com/gQA127m.gif

10. Zimbres

Zimbres

There's a possibility to acquire an "early access" of this projectile pack?

11. gskinner

gskinner

We're looking for magical toony projectiles that can be charged up and blasted, with sweet tails. If you think mega-man style electric blasts, with increasingly powerful versions. Or a big fireball, or magic missile. etc Looking at your previews, you're right on the money :)

The effects will be used in VR, so far I've been unable to find any that really look amazing in VR, and hoping yours will do the trick! I have a prototype with your explosions already, and they look rad.

So I guess my main request would be to try and make sure they look great in VR (if possible). Which might mean using a mesh instead of billboard, or a mixture of the two.
    Cheers,

12. gskinner

gskinner

We'd also love a an early access peak at the projectiles pack. Happy to pay via PayPal.

13. FreakyZoid

FreakyZoid

Hi there - I bought your asset, very pretty explosions! Is there a simple way of scaling them? They've been constructed at a world scale different to our current project, and when I use the transform to re-scale them the different elements go a bit haywire.

It seems like it's the "fire floaters" element that doesn't scale well.

(Loving the look of your projectile pack too!)
    Cheers,

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  14. Effectcore

Effectcore

Sorry for the late reply!

@Zimbres , @gskinner
    I will look into maybe getting a early access version. But once the pack is released I won't be able to give a free voucher or similar. I will give more information about this when I got it figured out. (currently juggling fulltime job + freelance + this). I will be working freelance 100% after 3rd March, which will allow me to focus on future assetpacks.

Also @gskinner I appreciete the detail information, It has been noted. Thank you!

@FreakyZoid The effects should be 100% scaleable. I did notice that the fire_floaters do look strange when enlarged.
    For a fast fix to make it look better I suggest going into ParticleSystem/Renderer/Speed Scale and it should be 0.1, Change it to something like 0.01. The will look more like flying embers (what it kinda is suppose to be).

I will add this into the documentation and also possibly update all the effects.

Let me know if that was the issue you were thinking of.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  15. Zimbres

Zimbres

A lower value for early access would be nice! But it's your call. Let me know when you get something!

16. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Hey Chris, I've been following your experiments on one of the Facebook indie pages and am pretty stoked about the stylized explosions... I'm dying to pick it up for my top-down auto combat game but am holding out to transition from realistic VFX until I can get my hand on your sweet, sweet projectiles. (The sweeps look great too, but just not what I selfishly need right now :) So just count one more eager developer on the list!

17. crystani

crystani

Chris, I am looking forward to buy the slash effect pack. Is there any news on the slash pack review progress by Unity? And I'd like to get the early access of the projectile!

18. Effectcore

Effectcore

@PatrickLipo
    @crystani

Glad to hear! Once I get my freelance work done I will continue working on the assetpacks. It has been delayed because I have been juggling with fulltime job, freelance and this. But soon I will be able to only do freelance and assetpacks endeavours!

imaginationrabbit likes this.
  19. FreakyZoid

FreakyZoid

Hiya, got it all sorted by tweaking some of the values as suggested after the scale. Brilliant, thanks! Keeping an eye out for more of your stuff.

20. daville

daville

I'm really interested in all your particle packs... hope the rest come out soon.

Are you considering on making a bundle of all of them? for a better price?

21. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

I'm looking forward to buying all three packs as well- they look great!

22. Effectcore

Effectcore

@FreakyZoid Glad it worked out for you! I will keep this in mind for future effects try scaling them and see if issues like these can be avoided.

@daville When I get more packs out I will most likely have a big bundle, but it will be in quite a while

@mdotstrange Thank you, there is still quite a lot to do!

If I were not busy working my fulltime job I am busy doing a lot of freelance work now. I hope I will be able to make these packs again soon, but it will sadly be in quite a while.

I want these effects to have a really high standard and work in most cases.
    The melee pack was pretty much done, but it only worked properly with bloom filters. So I decided to go back and rework mobile versions and possibly take a extra look into the PC ones so the bloom filters are not as vital as right now.

Shodan0101 and daville like this.
  23. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Just couldn't wait! Purchased #1, looking forward to more. :)

24. basmith

basmith

hope to see more!

25. shawnblais

shawnblais

Any idea when the projectile pack might be coming?? Eagerly awating it :)

26. daraOke

daraOke

Hello? I was wondering about the slash pack. Thanks

27. Effectcore

Effectcore

The packs will most likely be reworked completely. I don't have a completion date but I will at some point come back and finish this.

Sorry to keep you waiting :(

28. Effectcore

Effectcore

Currently in the assetstore review process!

Projectiles made for with mobile primarily in mind!

CHECK OUT THE GIF:
    https://i.imgur.com/nBvlLMK.gif
    SocialMediaImage5.png

Let me know if someone has thoughts or questions!

29. Effectcore

Effectcore

Been in review progress for quite some time, I hope it won't get declined!

Also check out them in motion here

Attached Files:

30. Effectcore

Effectcore

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    nxrighthere likes this.
  31. Effectcore

Effectcore

nxrighthere likes this.
  32. ATeam_Production

ATeam_Production

Do you plan to propose a bundle of these 3 assets? All your work is very good, nice job!

33. Effectcore

Effectcore

At some point maybe! But not right now. I feel want to give it a try to make several smaller packages.

Not perhaps the norm or the most successful assetpacks to do so, but I think it is easier to work like this and have the quality consistent.

34. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Hi ChristianNordgren

Your demo scene link for Stylized Explosion Pack 2 does not work =(

35. Effectcore

Effectcore

36. ZJP

ZJP

37. Effectcore

Effectcore

Thank you @ZJP

The particle system has changed quite a lot and making older version of the newer effects will prove difficult. I don't want older versions to look different from what I post in the screenshots etc.
    Sorry about that :(

38. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply.

39. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Just got the projectile and I see a video for the splatter. Is it on the store yet?

40. Effectcore

Effectcore

@therewillbebrad
    Hi sorry for the delay!

It is currently under review and will be available probably in a few weeks! :)

I will post about it once its out

41. Effectcore

Effectcore

Attached Files:

42. witcher101

witcher101

hi when is slash effect pack comming

43. Effectcore

Effectcore

44. Effectcore

Effectcore

45. Effectcore

Effectcore

46. Effectcore

Effectcore

I updated all packs with new hierarchy so they can share material between packs :)

47. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Are the shells particle based, instantiate based or pooling based?

48. dadude123

dadude123

Those are pretty cool, I like them!
    I could proably even use the projectiles and melee attacks as they are, but do you perhaps have anything planned for explosions that is a little bit more "HD"? Or "not as stylized"?

49. Eric-Farraro

Eric-Farraro

Do you have any demo scene or something that shows how these types of things look in 2D? I think the effects look amazing in the videos, but not sure how it would translate to 2D. I saw in the Store that 2D is supported?

50. Effectcore

Effectcore

@NikhilUnity The shells are just one particle and spawns instantiate based. There is no pooling system. I recommend just going for the visuals.

@dadude123 Not at the moment but I would love to do some at later point!

@Eric-Farraro I made the camera into ortographic and turned on black background on stylized explosion pack 2. This is how it looked like in almost complete sidescroller view:
    https://imgur.com/a/4chhDgz

https://imgur.com/a/gm4eTSf (topdown with ortographic view)

Sorry for the late response!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018