Search Unity

Full sized planets for Unity3D -- interesting?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by imerso, Sep 12, 2011.

1. PolyMad

PolyMad

Cool stuff!

Also imersiva is suspended! WTH? Too much bandwidth required?

Anyway, a couple of comments:

- planets with no objects = unusable. At least a tool to generate trees (or anything taken from a user's library) is needed to have a bit of realism. LODs are required as well...
    - would be nice if atmosphere colour was changeable... needed for ALL alien planets :D
    - same for ground: just watch at the colour variety of the Solar System planets... don't know if these features are there already!
    - is it possible to set the gravity force of each planet?

Great work anyway, don't get my critics too badly, just suggestions!

2. RPGSI

RPGSI

Well as there is no many more around here i can answer some things i know ...

Yeah !

Yeah maibe was that ! ...
    ( One way or another NOW The owner will need to Release this plugin Sooner to Pay for it ! )
    ITS ALL WINNING FOR US !!
    lol ... Just guessing ... lolol

Jokes apart ... This is what imerso said
    Anyway ..

YEah ...
    As far as Imerso ( the Plugin Author ) Said - We will be able to Put Whatever Objects We want on the Planet Surface ! ...
    - It still Will not be ( in the first release ) like Terrains system For the First Release ... But in The Next Releases the Author will be studying it how to apply Some properties of Standard Terrains into it.

Yeah ( not in the first Release / but in Next Will be A Ecosystem Population System were we will be able to Put Objects as forest By Shader Placement ...

Completely Agree ! ...

Good luck to all us ! ...
    The author Said that will get Some days Off / and maybe by the end of this WeekEnd We already Have this Plugin in the Asset store ...

There is Still no Price / The Author Just Said something about 99$ / In this Thread but maybe he gets a Pre launch 50% Discount Or something heheh.. ^^

RPGSI

_______

PS: LOVED YOUR DICE GAME DEMO !
    http://diceunlimited.nirvanafactory.com/

Too Cool ! Yu should get SOme more of it !
    Like a www.fightingfantasy.com Chose your Way Dice TExt And images Adventure !

HEY HAVE FUN !

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

My first feeling would be bandwidth, if imerso was self hosting. I'd suggest he move his demos to dropbox or some other independent hosting solution. The nice thing about dropbox is it's free and won't suck up your site's bandwidth.

DropBox, youTube, defer all that bandwidth!

4. PolyMad

PolyMad

Agree, I use DB since early days, got 5.75 GB thanks to referrals and it rulez and ownz all the way!

5. gordonramp

gordonramp

Imerso's web site is back up...

http://www.etereo.com.br

He's been quiet for a few days.. Fingers crossed that this gets released.

6. Tom88

Tom88

really cool!

7. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Haven't read page 5, but there is a script floating around the forums or wiki that locks a player character/object into orbit of a sphere... modify that so that it turns its self on/off based on an escape velocity variable, plus a constant negative explosive force script on the planet, and voila- you will have a very nice space to planet transition. To fly inside of the planets atmosphere you would also need something that simulates lift, nullifying the negative explosive force, based on your player's orientation.

8. darkAbacus247

darkAbacus247

My brain just exploded

PLEEEEEASEEEE!!!

9. imerso

imerso

@RPGSI:

Could you please remove the screenshots, videos and the techdemo download link, please?

The main reason I ask is, as I'm still working and updating the original link/site/extension, posting a second link with an outdated techdemo can easily mislead people to download/watch an old version. Thanks.

--------------

For any project, we have "Time", "Quality" and "Price", and we can pick any two -- but the other one is sacrificed.

I know the risks, but I'm picking Quality and Price. I want to release a polished and professional looking extension, but time is very limited these days, I can't see a way to accelerate development.

The bad news is that it's not coming before mid december, sorry.

Please don't hate me yet, this is a revised and enhanced engine that is probably going to beat the original C++ techdemo.

Thanks,

imerso

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  10. gordonramp

gordonramp

Ok imerso, understood. Thanks for the update.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  11. Alienchild

Alienchild

I say that is a good decision. It would also allow you to charge more for the package. After the package is complete, may I suggest creating small plugins that we can buy afterwards? Local sculpting of the terrain, shader support for the textures (not sure if it has that now), LOD system for the textures, enhancements and such.

Whatever the case I'll be picking it up. I reckon my first game will be done sometime around the end of this year and so this will fit perfect with my schedule for my next, already planned game. This way I won't get any distractions on the way ;)

12. imerso

imerso

I will suggest people not to download from alternate links posted on this thread...

The only official, original techdemo link is http://www.etereo.com.br -- I do not recommend downloading Etherea1 from any other links.

Please be warned.

13. fshortt

fshortt

this would be awesome!!

14. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Can't connect to the site.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

imerso i know that your work is going forward slowly but steady but this curiosity is killing me and probably not only me haha. Can you give as some sort of information of how work you think its done before the first release ?.

16. runonthespot

runonthespot

Definitely not the only one dying of curiosity... :)

17. PolyMad

PolyMad

Waiting as well :D

18. swiftest

swiftest

This sounds fantastic (almost too good to be true). We're looking at doing something similar for our game, Dangerous, so will keep an eye on this thread. The Evochron series of PC games features seamless atmospheric entry, so it's doable for desktops. (We want a solution that works for mobile.) And Evochron uses DarkBasic from what I understand, not exactly known for cutting edge graphics.

By the way, based on the interest in this thread, it is a solution that quite a few developers seem ready to pay for. (Classic case of Shut up and Take Our Money if I've ever seen one.) So hopefully even if the dev doesn't release it on the asset store, someone else could pick up the mantle.

19. imerso

imerso

Not sure if I understood your question, but basically what is going to be featured until December is like the techdemo, but with improved visuals. As much as I told that I would provide every possible solution in the universe to make every game type, now being objective and realistic considering my own available time, it will still require a lot of programming knowledge to make a full game with it.

I will not recommend it to beginners, really. (( please note that I'm not referring to you specifically, ok? ))

Etherea1 for Unity3D is just a planet extension, not a full game. =)

[]s
    imerso

20. imerso

imerso

I made a new quick preview video, but it still lacks atmospheres and some other details (working on atmospheres now).

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmoN8SpTiw

I hope to finish it until December this year.

Thanks,

imerso

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  21. _Petroz

_Petroz

What are the chances of getting this (even just a cut down version) running on iOS/Android?

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was just asking how much you already did, but you show me enough to make me very happy haha.
    Btw yes you are 100 % right that this will need a lot of coding before we will be able to call it a game,
    but this plug-in its the biggest boost you can ever hope for. For me in example in 50 % of work now i have to add questing system
    fly system landing, character controlling, role and few thousand other things.
    But again its a HUGE boost in work.

23. imerso

imerso

Technically speaking, chances are high.

If there is enough feedback from this community in the form of real buyings, a special mobile version will follow.

[]s
    imerso

24. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Think it wil import ok into an already existing game?

25. gordonramp

gordonramp

Hi Imerso,
    Will it be possible to eliminate these lines...?
    Thanks.

26. Alienchild

Alienchild

I absolutely love it, fantastic video! One feature that I would really like to see is being able to change the texture to a more detailed one as you get closer. Or for example make texture sets that you can switch based on variable altitudes. The texture sets could be applied to an object, and you have altitude/distance stages that works automatically.

Casting a ray to the planet, figuring out the distance, and then swapping texture set if it is either exceeding the max or min of the current altitude criteria. Which sort of brings me to the next topic... how will collision be handled on these objects? Some sort of dynamic mesh collider?

27. imerso

imerso

Yes, sure.

[]s
    imerso

28. imerso

imerso

The lines on this image are repeating patterns of a badly chosen texture. I made this video at 04:00am and I was tired. That texture is not a good tileable texture, which causes the clear repetition. Texture repetition is common to terrains, but this is hidden by good texturing. Terrain itself is definitely not a repetition at all.

edit: Please remember that everything there is changeable: terrain shape, textures, heights, scales, water, planet radius, etc. A quick planet setup may look really bad, so it requires fine tuning and patience to get the maximum visual quality out of it.

[]s
    imerso

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  29. imerso

imerso

Edit: A full edit this time, because I wrote some yada yada here, losing the point.

I do agree that changing textures based on distance is indeed one of the possible solutions, but the actual video with the clearly repeating texture pattern was my fault on choosing a bad texture for that and also not setting heights and slopes accordingly.

I will be taking a look into your suggestion and some other ideas as well.

Thanks for the comments,

imerso

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  30. Alienchild

Alienchild

No problem at all. Just keep in mind that an artist might want to use gigantic 4096x4096 textures when up close (or when a character walks on the ground), and it makes no sense it a planet having that type of texture in memory when you have hundreds of planets. Not sure how you deal with textures at that point so of course my worry might not be valid.

31. ina

ina

As several have pointed out - here is another +1 to a mobile version of this!

32. ForceX

ForceX

Mind = blown

Patiently looking forward to this as well. Keep up the fantastic work.

33. U2

U2

I still think implementing some erosion algorithms into the formula on the closer levels of detail would go a really long way into making this not just a fractal landscape but something truly beautiful. Would be nice to have some smooth areas mixed into the plains for landing space.. Water erosion near the ocean for cliffs etc.. Glacier erosion in the northern and southern latitudes. More wind erosion in the middle of the planet where desert regions are more common etc.. This would then look something like Vue Esprit exception realtime and dynamic.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

imerso is your plug-in will have build in cloud system ? I don't expect it now of course, just asking about far away future.

35. imerso

imerso

I agree that erosion is a nice feature. This is on the improvements list.

Thanks,

imerso

36. imerso

imerso

A cloud system is a nice feature that is on the improvements list.

Thanks,

imerso

37. Dabeh

Dabeh

This looks awesome, I hope this looks good from a perspective of space and I'd consider buying it.

38. gordonramp

gordonramp

If there were clouds then there could be a Skybox change (and other visual changes) while passing through it. Perhaps this could happen when the atmosphere is entered also. Just a thought.

39. Alienchild

Alienchild

If so, make it optional, or else I wouldn't be able to make planets collide quite as dramatic as I plan ;)

40. U2

U2

My only suggestion would be to release the basic system before the clouds, etc.. I have seen people get hung up on a cloud system by itself not to mention all the other features you are taking on here.

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

rutecht, imerso already said few post ago that first release will be completely basic and everything els will be added in next version or even later. Unfortunately imerso plug-in is made only by him at this point so we can't predict when it will be release or even when updates will be done. So we just have to wait and see what will happen.

42. filmcraft

filmcraft

I'm working on an intergalactic RPG game right now for IOS that would make exclusive use of this, please let me know when it is ready.

43. runonthespot

runonthespot

Features later. First release first :) Iteration > endless polishing and feature creep.

In anticipation,
    Mike
    @runonthespot

44. Johnxyz

Johnxyz

Not only you filmcraft not only you work on such game :p

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

imerso how is work doing can you give us any update info on how much is done or anything ?

46. imerso

imerso

Hi Thinker,

Close but not ready yet.

Thanks,

imerso

47. goat

goat

This Account Has Been Suspended

This must be nice, too many visiters...

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yea i was shock when i sow that for second i thought that imerso is not coming bad and blood pressure haha. Sorry imerso but i know about 50 people that ask me all the time where is the plug in. We shall wait and see. Good Luck with the work and don't hurry i prefer to wait few extra weeks and have something good than have something made in hurry just please give as an update about your work at least once a week so we wont get worried.

49. skeptika

skeptika

Any update? :) I have a freelancer style game going and would love to see this project come to completion to see if it'd work in my project. Let us know if this is still going or is dead! Thanks!

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh for sure its not dead :) but true i would love to hear any kind of up-dates about this plug-in me and the rest are waiting with excitement on every single info about it.