Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Full sized planets for Unity3D -- interesting?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by imerso, Sep 12, 2011.

1. carmine

carmine

Hey... I tried to get it to run on iOS myself and it didn't work. It uses a lot of custom shaders and other stuff that was barely supported by my mac, let alone iOS. It also requires a bit of processing power. I don't think it's going to work for iOS.

-Carmine

2. Kalabuka

Kalabuka

Thanks carmine!
    That's bad news through:(
    I wonder if IOS is not supported by this extension, then is there anything I can learn from it to build one? I searched a lot of methods for spherical world building, but cannot find a feasible way.... could you give me some hint?

3. carmine

carmine

I have no idea how Imerso's thing works, but.... A good place to start is the documentation for the terrain in Unity. These things just use height maps. Being able to create a height map/terrain on the fly might be a good place to start. There are also unity samples for creating mesh's on the fly... and lastly... look up the Perlin Noise function... here.. (and the other procedural generation examples).

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/example-projects/procedural-examples

4. imerso

imerso

Hi, thank you.

1. iOS is not supported yet. Current platforms are: Windows, Macintosh and WebPlayer;
    2. Please contact me directly by email ( imerso at imersiva dot com );
    3. That is a noise balance between many parameters, like height, frequency, persistence. This takes some time to understand, please check the other sample which creates dozens of random planets automatically as well.

Thanks,

imerso

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  5. ajmae

ajmae

This is awesome

6. Hboybowen

Hboybowen

Can the spherical terrain be defined by height maps?

7. eKyNoX

eKyNoX

I'm very interested about this project but I got some questions about it :

- Is there some documentation with the pack ?
    - Does latest version includes whole universe like here ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqsDwC_UGb4
    - I saw that the terrain and water are not very detailed compared with what can be done in Unity actually (DX11 included) is it because of Unity Indie or there some updates you will make here ?
    - There was promotions on your website, is it finished ?
    - The C++ or C# version purchase no more exists ?
    - Can your website be redone because it is horrible ^^

Thanks for answers :)

8. getafix99

getafix99

this. is there an option to use custom height maps? will there be in the future? does someone have a video of fps / 3rd person using it?

9. imerso

imerso

Some people are certainly developing cool things with. There is a basic support to influence the procedural heightmaps, but that is not advanced, because that is not the focus of Etherea1.

10. imerso

imerso

This is still available in the AssetStore.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  11. JamesPro

JamesPro

This isn't related to the Unity version of this engine but a couple days ago I purchased the C++ Code and I have yet to receive any sort of email with the link to where I can download the source code. I didn't know where else to contact you and time is ticking should I have to issue a complaint with Paypal. Please get in touch with me ASAP so we can get this figured out!

12. imerso

imerso

Hi, I've replied and sent the code, but I did not notice that paypal (brazilian one, that is) has changed the reply to themselves, not the customer. I was used to just reply and the reply was directed to the customer, not paypal itself, so this time I did not notice that.

I will be sending again, this time to your address.

Thanks

imerso

13. JamesPro

JamesPro

Thanks and I'm really looking forward to prototyping some ideas I've had using your engine. Great job on it!

14. imerso

imerso

Hi,

In a month or two, I am planning to make a big update and add Ethereal Galaxy to Etherea1 on AssetStore:

- Cleaned up code with consistent variable names and better structure;
    - Cleaned up shaders with correct compilation under DX11 (although *not* using DX11 specific features);
    - Lots of performance optimizations;
    - Better planetary generation with less jittering for really huge planets;
    - Better collision detection support (including an alternative detection code without using Physx);
    - Events to callback your code when new terrain patches are generated, so you can easier extend it;
    - Double-precision system for really *huge* universe;
    - Network code using the builtin Unity3D network API.

This is a *lot* of new work, resulting in a much improved version, and I will even include this game in the package:

*** I will have to remove the third-party commercial content (mostly the spacecraft), though, as I bought but dont own redistribution rights for those models.

You can check a demo of what will be in the package here:

http://etherealgalaxy.com

What I have in mind is:

- people who buy/bought Etherea1 before the new package, will get the new, much improved package for just $100;
    - people who already pre-bought the Galaxy package earlier (you know who you are), will be receiving it as a free update;
    - new buyers *after* the new package release will have it for $350.

Thanks,

imerso

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  15. carmine

carmine

Hello,
    I'm confused. I paid over around $100 for a package... now I need to spend $100 for an update for the package?

16. imerso

imerso

Ethereal Galaxy is a lot more, it's almost a complete multiplayer space combat game.

17. carmine

carmine

I don't want the game. I just want updates to Etherea1. Will I get the updates to that for free?

18. imerso

imerso

Yes, for Etherea1. Please note that most improvements done in Ethereal Galaxy cannot simply be translated directly to Etherea1, or it would simply break it as it requires other things that are not related directly to the planet rendering itself.

19. ZJP

ZJP

+1.
    I only need a DX11 compilation and correction of collisions bugs. For ONE planet. Don't care about the Entire Galaxy, the Network evolution and THE GAME. I've (trying to) make one.
    If you hold to pay for something, I think you should consider an intermediate price for this. (50-65$)

Nice

ETA?

Question :
    Does the settings from the old version is kept?
    I mean, is it a planet generated with the old version will retain its current appearance (and elevation)? (*)

(*)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  20. imerso

imerso

This major update will happen a month or so from now.

Most updates (including cleaned up code, DX11 compatible shaders, better collision detection and the new events) will make it to Etherea1 original package. So, Etherea1 buyers will get all this for free.

The additions for Galaxy handling in a double-precision universe, and that entire space combat game prototype won't make it to Etherea1, but to a new package called Ethereal Galaxy.

I really think that is a fair deal, but I'll be hearing all opinions.

Thanks,

imerso

21. ZJP

ZJP

I do not mind to pay anything if the work of updating is important. I think the rate of 100$ is not suitable for older clients, especially if you add options they do not need.

Nice move, anyway. Thanks a lot.

22. panz3r

panz3r

is this package suitable for a multiplayer ? will 2 players running 2 different hardware (so maybe slightly different math error) see exactly the same thing ?

23. imerso

imerso

Absolutely yes. Etherea1 and Ethereal Galaxy are not compatible with Mobile (Android and iOS) though. Also, Ethereal Galaxy is for Pro only.

24. hawx

hawx

That looks amazing , full planets in Unity3D! :D I can feel a sci-fi RPG or space conquest sort of game coming on.

25. panz3r

panz3r

I am comparing your web player image on 2 different machine, one vith nvidia another one with AMD card. Altough they look VERY similar, they are not 100% the same. On big planets i am afraid math errors can sum up and create different stuff for different hardware
    AMD
    $etherea_amd.JPG
    Nvidia
    $etherea_nvidia.JPG

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  26. imerso

imerso

I see, but -- without questioning legitimacy of your statement -- from these two images I can recognize the same geometry, they seem to me just slightly in different positions (?). I can see some slight differences in the texturing, though.

I do have a not too new AMD videocard somewhere over here, will see if I can put that card on another PC and check that.

They should be very close one to the other.

Thanks for pointing out.

27. panz3r

panz3r

Welcome.
    I think that the amd math is a bit different than nvidia math.
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...ermi-result-different-from-opencl-on-amd-cpu/
    I am not sure how you do the fractal part (ie if you use gpu or cpu ) but i would say use cpu as much as posible, because the error there is the same everywhere, and use the gpu calculations towards the end of computations (or maybe use integer math).
    I am thinking to use this for a mmo (hobby) and i would want that everybody to see the same thing.
    About not working on mobile, is there a specific limitation or is just not enough power ?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  28. imerso

imerso

The GPU calculations do not use internal functions like fract() for example. What I'm guessing is that those slight differences we're seeing are related to different configurations in the driver (for example in one having trilinear mipmapping with high quality, while in the other just bilinear or point sampling with performance settings), which would cause some differences in the sampling of the heightmaps, affecting everything else (heights, slopes and texture mapping).

This is still an important detail and I'll be looking into that, though.

Some shaders are not compatible with mobiles yet. One or two of them would need to be simplified or split in two to make them work on mobiles.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  29. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I'm a latecomer, and this thread is already pretty long. So, a question: Could this be used to create an actual world? By that, I mean, does the planet creation system create world geometry and features?

I'm less concerned with making a space game, and more something to ease world creation.

30. imerso

imerso

Etherea1 only creates the planet geometry.

31. Wuild

Wuild

Is it only me that gets a huge shader error when running the Pro version?
    To test this.

1. Create a planet.
    2. Build the client.
    3. Run the game in window mode
    4. Move the window and see that the surface is gone, This also happens in fullscreen when alt + tabbing.

is there a fix for this or is it just me?

32. imerso

imerso

Yes, that happens indeed, I just confirmed. I am looking for a fix.

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

I mention and show you that error on skype imerso like 4 or 5 months ago. Just like sun going threw the planet while on the surface :p

34. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    This might have something to do with renderTexture not being recalculated when changing screen position/resolution.

Hope it helps,
    Fernando R.

35. Wuild

Wuild

Sweet im hoping for a new update soon then?
    Also i would die for some dynamic realtime shadows and maybe the capability to use more lightsources then the sun, maybe some "citylight" or a searchlight on a spaceship. Just saying, if it is a money question i would pay you to fix these things.

36. imerso

imerso

Thanks Fernando, yes, you're right, the problem is exactly that.

Yes, an update is coming and this fix will be included. A long time ago, in the earlier iterations, Etherea1 had shadows and multiple lights support. After some version though, I was unable to keep that Surface Shader rendering correctly, so I ended up switching to a standard CG Shader instead. Like you, I still would like to switch back to a Surface Shader, so dynamic shadows and multiple lights come back. If time permits, it may come in the next update again... but unfortunately I cannot really promise that.

Hello Thinker, long time, hope you're going well. Although I do not remember the rendertexture problem, I remember you have been listing some problems indeed. Wish I could fix every bug at once, sincerely.

I feel sorry for not being able to spend enough time to actually fix all bugs and finish the planned features. Thanks to all for your support and patience.

37. Wuild

Wuild

Sounds awsome.
    Just one more question, its about the water. Wouldnt it be better to add the water on a different "sphere" to get the depth of the water? so maybe you can go under water and maybe not land on it -.-' rather annoying tbh. Cheers :)

38. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

:)
    Had the same problem on UMA.

Amazing work btw! You´re also from Brazil, right?

39. imerso

imerso

Thanks!

Edit: I just checked UMA, that is excellent! Congratulations. =)

Yes, I'm from Brazil as well, feel free to add me to Skype (same nick).

[]s

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  40. Uncasid

Uncasid

Is this still being updated? Would everyone who purchased consider it "Release Quality"?

41. Strategos

Strategos

Has anyone tried this package in Unity 5 ?

I see the Galaxy never materialised and the package is listed as "unsupported" but it still costs $150 - that is a lot for something that might not work!

Any info appreciated.

42. imerso

imerso

Etherea was developed until Unity3D 4.x, and then development was stopped. It is not for Unity3D 5.x. The package is on Asset Store only for historical reasons and because this is a bit problematic to remove it from there, so it is left there.

43. ErickXavier

ErickXavier

Would be really cool if you could OpenSource the project on GitHub... Since your not supporting it anymore, you know?

44. imerso

imerso

There is a *possibility* for Etherea2, a much improved version, though.

jovino and HeadClot88 like this.
  45. imerso

imerso

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  46. Doctor06

Doctor06

I would love to see some previews or even help with the project.