Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrating publishing experience

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by duncangroberts, Jan 31, 2017.

1. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

Hi there,
    I'm getting really irritated with the publishing process for daydream. I now have resolved all of my freezing and pausing issues, however now I have a rejection saying the app does not use the controller properly throughout the app. How would I go about finding out exactly what this means and what it relates to? My game is a simple frisbee throwing game built using tutorials on the controller from sdkboy.com bit I'm starting to get miserable about this and might give up. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Duncan

2. linojon

linojon

Following. Thanks for trail blazing. Good
    Luck.

duncangroberts likes this.
  3. faaborg

faaborg

Hey Duncan, sorry that the feedback in the email you received wasn't very specific. I started a thread with a few people on Google's side who can hopefully help you out and give you more info.

In general that criteria is used for apps that have head gaze interactions on UI elements / menus, etc., instead of using the controller as a laser pointer. This is for consistency and to match user expectations. The criteria doesn't apply to any actual gameplay, just UI interactions.

4. nathanmartz

nathanmartz

Official Google Employee

Jesse_DuBord and duncangroberts like this.
  5. overfile

overfile

Hi Ducan,

I know how you feeling, in my case google sending a new short e-mail with: "The app does not maintain head tracking" and... I don't know where... My game was released in Oculus store the last year, so i don't understand why my app doesn't maintain head tracking. In one scene, a slow animation control the camera but in the e-mail wasn't clearful with the issue.

6. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

Hey @faaborg thanks so much for getting back to me and thanks @nathanmartz for the link, I have reviewed the quality requirements loads to try and make sure my game is compliant. The feedback I've now got is much much more helpful and I can see where the problem lies and can go about fixing it.
    I think generally just a touch more information would be good for developers, a newbie such as me probably needs more than experienced people but it really does make the process that much more efficient. The quality guidelines are great but the initial feedback email didn't really refer me back to where the specific problem was.
    @overfile I had this issue too, but I think I have resolved it. My issue was that the game was freezing slightly when loading a new scene. I've changed the loading process to load asynchronously now and only activate the scene when it's done and to include a fade transition between scenes. This seems to have helped. I hope that helps narrow it down a bit.

7. overfile

overfile

Hey @Duncan thanks for your help :)

Finally my problem was about a retry panel scene and i created a 360 sphere with a retry and now i can publish in google daydream.

Regards
    Overfile

8. kexar66

kexar66

My app has not been accepted into daydream because: The app does not suppress system bars.

It was build with GVR13 and it works perfectly well on my Moto Z, system bars closing everytime. Users did not report any issue as well.

Any ideas?

9. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

I'm having random issues with things that shouldn't be issues as well. My app was rejected recently because it didn't tried the hand preference on the controller. Testing it out both right and left handed worked absolutely fine for me. I really think Google needs to provide slightly more detailed feedback to help out developers. Now I am getting an 'app constantly crashes' rejection. But I find know where it is crashing to resolve the issue and it's working fine for me. It's really really frustrating.

huaweianer likes this.
  10. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

Did you guys ever get approved? And where did they end up listing you on the store? (If anywhere)

I'm looking at the Daydream. Store and it's pretty empty, I think it has more video playing apps than actual games.

11. TimurB

TimurB

I get approved on the first attempt.
    Though I don't know where is my app listed because I can't access daydream store myself.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  12. nadia-campo

nadia-campo

I have the same problem, my app works correctly on a Pixel and never shows the system bars, but it's still rejected because it "doesn't suppress the navigation bar". I can't even replicate this error, and Unity by default hides all system bars, so I don't understand why they think my app doesn't suppress them!
    I made an appeal and they just sent me a link to the guidelines I believe I know by heart by now.

13. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

I've now got published, but I imagine the store updates at regular intervals so it's not there yet. There is now an 'all games' section of the daydream store so I imagine that would be the best place to look.

14. kexar66

kexar66

Did someone fix this issue already? Any help would be appreciated.

15. kexar66

kexar66

I found that if you fresh start your app from Daydream app in VR, there is system bar visible before splash for a second.

Is this the reason why my app is rejected due "The app does not suppress system bars."?

Its happening in apps builded from GVR13 and also 5.6.0b9 + SDK 1.10 and also SDK 1.20.

16. DFledermaus

DFledermaus

I'm getting the same problem with the same rejection. Unity is supposed to suppress the system bars automatically but the Navigation Bar still occasionally pops up upon starting the game, and even though it goes away it's enough for Google to reject the app from the Daydream store. I've tried every possible AndroidManifest option to eliminate the system bars and none of them seem to work.

17. huaweianer

huaweianer

Hi Everyone,

I made a shooter and didnt get true the quality check. Dont know what I´m doing wrong.
    Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

"Daydream has a system-level preference for whether the user is right or left handed. When using an arm model in your app, you must respect this user preference. Additionally, your app should not expose custom UI controls for changing this preference only in the context of your app."