Search Unity

[FREE][OPEN-SOURCE] Generic Wireframe Shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chasepettit, Jun 2, 2017.

1. chasepettit

chasepettit

GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Chaser324/unity-wireframe

This is a set of general purpose wireframe shaders adapted from Unity's built-in SpatialMappingWireframe shader. The set currently includes opaque, transparent (no culling) and transparent (backface culling) variations.

They're nothing too special or elaborate, but they are a free and open-source option if you're looking to try out an aesthetic without having to write your own shaders or spring for a premium asset.

All code contributions are welcome: bug/feature requests, forks, pull requests, etc.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Ni2Be, X28, A_Savvidis and 9 others like this.
  2. artfail

artfail

First, thanks for putting this out there. I love this look. Do you have any plans to extend support to mac or ios?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. chasepettit

chasepettit

In my brief testing with OpenGL platforms (OSX, Linux), it seemed to already be working. Are you having issues with it?

I haven't tried it out on iOS, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear there are issues. Adapting these shaders to play well with mobile might take some considerable refactoring.

4. artfail

artfail

Thanks for the reply. I did some tests. So this does work on the mac os x86 build but not x86_64 or Universal. I wasn't building to x86 before. Im pretty happy I know how to make it work on a mac build now.

When I do an ios build I get this error in xcode:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'SuperSystems/Wireframe' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'SuperSystems/Wireframe' - Setting to default shader.

I hope this helps. Id it openGL based? Ive been googling to see if there are some build settings I can change but I am not seeing anything. If you do decide to go mobile with this shader that would be amazing.

5. Johannski

Johannski

Won't work on iOS, because metal and OpenGL ES 3.0 only support rendertarget 3.5 and geometry shaders are introduced with target 4.0.

Source

6. chasepettit

chasepettit

Update:
    • Added image effect. Add the "WireframeImageEffect" component to a camera and it will use replacement shaders to display all opaque objects as a wireframe.
    • Added example scenes.

7. dmitriy-untilov

dmitriy-untilov

Hi, nice work, thanks!
    Does this shader works on WebGL?

Nastomeya likes this.
  8. Kadaj

Kadaj

First, thanks chasepettit for sharing your shaders! They seems amazing!

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with the compilation of these shaders (my current version of Unity : 5.6.1f1) and they're displayed pink...

The error in the inspector when I click on one of the shaders: "Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)".

I trying to build for Android. Any idea?

9. dmitriy-untilov

dmitriy-untilov

I had the same problem when i was importing shaders to my project.
    Solution: Close project, delete Library folder and open Project. Shaders will be working in editor.

But when i build project to WebGL they became pink again.
    Also i tried to add shaders to "Always included shaders" in Edit->Project settings window. But it did not work.

Nastomeya likes this.
  10. Kadaj

Kadaj

Thanks for your answer, but it doesn't work. When I deleted the Library folder, the Project has switched to PC, Mac, Linux platform and on this platform, the shaders works fine. But, when I switch to Android platform, the material is displayed again in pink.

11. chasepettit

chasepettit

Sorry, but I don't think Android supports the minimum shader model required for this shader to work (which I think is Shader Model 4.0). Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to easily do a shader like this on a lower Shader Model because you really do need to be able to access geometry data for this to work.

I'll verify this and make a note in the OP and on GitHub to avoid further confusion.

12. Kadaj

Kadaj

Finally, I've built the project and, to my surprise... works fine on my two Android devices (Google Pixel C and Samsung S6)!

But, the shaders continue to appear in pink in the Unity editor. It's strange... I'm afraid it doesn't work on some devices maybe less recent.

13. Manuss

Manuss

I love theses shaders ! Thanks

Did you succeed to do it work on WebGL ? I still have the pink ..
    Thanks

14. j2013584

j2013584

These are great, thank you.

I can't seem to get the flat (nontransparent) ones to work on terrain though :( - you can always see terrain through the gaps. Can we get a version that fills up the faces? (but where the wire is still derived from an image

15. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi
    Any chance you have some mobile ready version of this shaders?

Free copy of my Asset GoMap in return XD
    Bye
    Alan

16. TechLevel

TechLevel

Amazing shader, work easy and perfect on 2018.3

17. montyjack

montyjack

Hey, love the shader, and I've been using it to great effect in my game, but I've noticed something odd about it- it won't render certain faces (see attached image). At first I thought it was because these faces were quads, but the issue persists even after triangulating them in blender. Any idea why this could be happening? As you can see below, the body of the submarine is missing in the wireframe version. It seems to have some issue either with aspect ratio, or it keeps thinking the faces are quads, even after making them tris.

18. montyjack

montyjack

Never mind- after being vexed by this issue for months, I found the the problem was I had max tri size set too low, roughly 5 minutes after posting. Wow do I feel like dope.

CheilGermany-FFM likes this.
  19. Fangh

Fangh

Try with Unity 2020.3.26 on iOS (metal) and doesn't work

20. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

@Fangh did you remember to select "No Emulation"? That's what I had to do in 2018.4 to make it work

21. lquenti1

lquenti1

I am currently trying to get it running on the Quest 2 with single pass instanciation. Did anyone of you manage to do it?