Search Unity

Free Look Camera - Guides colors, and dead zones

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Corvwyn, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

Hi

I'm using the FreeLook camera, and the guides don't have any color. Is there a reason for this?

I'm also trying to target different parts of my characters depending on which rig is used. The problem when targeting the head for example, is that the animations causes the camera to shake. Normally I'd use dead zones to stop the camera from moving. This adds a dead zone when moving the camera with the mouse as well, so it doesn't quite work.

At the moment I've created empty game objects as lookAt targets when using the FreeLook camera, and this does work. Is there a more elegant solution? If not, would it be a good idea to add an option to disable dead zones for mouse input?

2. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Great question @Corvwyn

Yes horizontal composer damping and freelook can fight. If you put some horizontal damping on there, the camera squishes into it when doing freelook rotations.

I set my horizontal damping to 0 to get around it (you can sometimes get away with a little vertical damping...) but you're totally right - what if you want to track a noisy bone?

The work around for this is to use Tracked Object Offset. Pick a stable bone - the root or whatever - and slang some Y action into the offset
    upload_2017-7-19_14-27-14.png

It will work great but I totally hear you, it's not tracking the head anymore, just a stable point which you can tune to be 'around the head-ish'

We have added a task to look at doing the freelook after the composer, or something like that, so you can still use composer damping AND freelook.

We'll keep you posted

3. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

Ah yes, of course. I should have thought of using the Tracked Object Offset. Thanks for the answer, and for creating the task!

@Adam_Myhill Maybe you didn't notice my question about the Composer guides for Freelook not having color?

I love working with cameras now, and the quick answers from the devs is a nice bonus! I'm creating a narrative-heavy game, so having a good camera system is a must.

4. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Yes the composer guides for FL not having colour - it's because they will stack multiply and become too opaque to see through (running 3 composer guides at once) so we did this. It's maybe not the best.... We'll take a look at it.

5. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

Oh yeah, of course. I didn't think of that. It does work quite well as it is, though. If you enable only one at a time when you tweak, it might be more useful I guess.

Tracked Object Offset works like a charm! Now I'll start creating shot | reverse shots for dialogue sequences.