Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Live Online Training from Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! I did something like that with the SceneManager; I just didn't see how I could apply this in this case. I'll give it a try. :)

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I made it! :dancing:

Thank you @TokyoDan for pointing my spinning head to the right direction! :D

Here is the function now:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void SetCountText ()
    2.     {
    3.         string countTextValue;
    4.         string winTextValue;
    6.         countTextValue = LocalizationManager.instance.GetLocalizedValue (key: "count_text");
    7.         winTextValue = LocalizationManager.instance.GetLocalizedValue (key: "win_text");
    9.         countText.text = countTextValue + count.ToString ();
    11.         if (count >=12)
    12.         {
    13.             winText.text = winTextValue;
    14.         }
    15.     }

Matthew-Schell likes this.
  3. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Need to know more about how your project is layed out. What folders are in there? Where are your assets? What format are your localisation files in and where are they located?

Did you read this section of the manual: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/webgl.html

4. malialis

malialis

Hello.

Thank you for your advice. I adjusted the room script to have a roomVisits integer. And in the gameController I added an else to the display text that would show roomDescription 2 if the room has more than 1 visit to it. In the room navigation i add to the roomVisits when you enter the new room.

So far it works well.

I agree it would probably be way easier to add many different versions of the room and cleverly link them so if I re enter and not touched anything in the room I get 1 description, versus if I took take all items or its my first time in there. But this approach got me thinking how do I add a counter, and how do I get the counter to affect the descriptions. Got me thinking and got me doing some testing, which is great.

Thank you again. Can not wait to see what other tutorials you got next.

5. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

That's great! The only thing you want to be aware of is that the Room is a ScriptableObject, which is an asset, it won't be automatically reset when you restart the game. Generally speaking, writing run time variables into ScriptableObjects is not recommended. What I would do (maybe, off the top of my head) is create a dictionary of rooms (the key) and ints for visit counts (the value). Then whenever you enter a room it checks the dictionary by passing in the currentRoom and returns the number of visits. Honestly, in all likelihood in this case your approach will work fine, and is easier, but I just want you to be aware that generally writing data into ScriptableObjects while the game is running is not recommended.

6. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

Anne, I think this is what you're looking for: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Application-streamingAssetsPath.html

"Note that on some platforms it is not possible to directly access the StreamingAssets folder because there is no file system access in the web platforms, and because it is compressed into the .apk file on Android. On those platforms, a url will be returned, which can be used using the WWW class."

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If it's just one visit, why not use a bool? if hasVisited is false, show description one and set hasVisited to true; or else, show description two.

8. malialis

malialis

Hello.

I like that idea having a bool instead. Great idea. I will give that a try. Bool is probably easier to work with as well instead of keeping track of how many visits to the room.

Thank you guys.

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Well, Anne, these are lots of small details to learn if you are trying to cover all platforms and every language.

That's the page that will help you so what you need to do.

What is it that you don't understand?

Dive forget that there are other sections of this forum that can help, as you are moving out of the scope of two different training projects and are synthesising these into something new. Perhaps you should also synthesise this into findjnf new and additional resources, such as the other sections of the forums to help with web GL and the www classes.

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sorry, I guess I'm confused.

What part don't you understand?

What have you tried and how has if failed?

Do you get any errors with what you've done?

Try breaking it down into pieces and find out where it fails exactly.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okay, forget I asked. Sorry for the bother.

To summarize, about the Localization Tools tutorial:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  12. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Look. If you have a specific question or specific issue, we can address it, but we can't write your game for you.

We are here, proverbially, with hope to teach people how to fish, not just give out fishes.

You need to get to a point to where you understand what each script is doing and what each line of code does, so you know where and how to integrate these two scripts.

if you don't, and are relying on someone to do the integration, then you're not learning. Moreover, we only have 3 staff members, including myself. We can support our current projects, but hand- holding someone into extending a project is a bit above and beyond.

What we love to do is help people who are helping themselves.

Start working this out for yourself and let us help you at each individual step.

If you can't get this integration to work, then perhaps you've travelled too far by relying on premade solutions, and need to back up one level or two. WWW solutions may prove confusing. If so, then don't localise for webgl, and carry on with your project. If you want to localise for webgl and don't understand the www class, then read up on it and pop into that section of the forum and ask for help understanding the www class. This will help you know what you're doing.

Ultimately, to be able to synthesise what we teach into a new and unique project of your own, you'll have to learn this without short cuts. On the other hand if that's not for you, you'll need to find a complete project to mod from say, the asset store.

It all depends on your final goal.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are definitely right.

14. Satansama

Satansama

Hi Adam,

I'm currently working on a state machine based on the pluggableAI tutorial series.

My question is, how can i make a decision like LookDecision, but returns true when i clicked on the tank? Should i write a raycast from mouse and check the collider on the tank or what do you suggest? Basically OnMouseDown callback but in a decision, so i can have something like TankSelectedState where all the tanks focus the tank that i clicked (not what i want to do, just an example).

Sorry my English is not my first language, hope you understand what i am asking here.

Regards.

15. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

You would probably want to add an 'isSelected' boolean to the StateController script and then set it using the approach you've described. Then you could have any Actions or Decisions you create check the state of that variable and act accordingly. If you're looking for advice on how to Raycast and select things from the mouse, a quick search will help you find that.

16. Satansama

Satansama

Thank you for your fast answer, i will try to do it the way you suggested. Thank you very much.

17. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

18. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

To be clear, there are only three, and they were planned and scheduled together.

We are cooperating with other departments in Unity with a push in training and awareness about Asset Store packages and the current deal to upgrade to Unity Plus.

We are responding to strong community pressure to show ways artists and non-coders can use Unity to create games, so the licensing team have agreed to include 3 artist/non-coder friendly packages free with Unity Plus and we've agreed to show how to use them. It was also made clear that a large number of our community have at least one of these 3 packages, and showing how to integrate them seemed like a good thing to do.

Not all sessions are to everyone's taste, interest or ability. We do hope to show architecture and technique that goes above and beyond the content of the asset packs, so anyone watching can learn something.

I'm sorry that these sessions don't interest you, but, if you look at the schedule, you'll notice that there are only two more of this batch of three, and then we will then do sessions that are not related to an asset store package.

All that being said, if you're interested in these 3 packs, they are free with an upgrade to Plus, but I'd only suggest that if you either wanted the features in Plus (skin, splashscreen, etc.) or one of the packages and felt the deal was a good one.

Socrates likes this.
  19. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

"Not all sessions are to everyone's taste, interest or ability. We do hope to show architecture and technique that goes above and beyond the content of the asset packs, so anyone watching can learn something."

Most all the sessions are to my taste and interest. It's just that being retired and on social security, I can not afford the monthly fee of even the low-priced Plus subscription. That said after purchasing the Unity Pro, iOS and Android plug-ins back in the Unity 3.7 days when I was still working.

But I can live with this situation...just because I can't afford something doesn't mean that I should be able to get it for free. I was just worried that including high-priced assets in the live trainings was a trend and in the near future all trainings would be geared to Plus and Pro users, shutting out the base Unity users. (Which I could also understand...businesses have to make money to survive.)

20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Nope! We're just helping out licensing and also trying to showcase solutions for artist and non-coders. There are people who can't or don't want to write a line of code, or who (like me) have a hard time grokking the anatomy of a shader, so a visual solution might be their salvation. When it comes to solutions like UFPS, that's just a question of "how much are you worth" or maybe "how much is your time worth". On my free time, I'm messing around with an "ultimate" inventory system - because I want to. If I were pushing to make a *game* and not fuss with the joys of mechanics, I'd definitely buy an inventory solution as it's a utility I need to make my game and a problem simply to be solved. I need to solve it to move on and finish my game. If my time is worth anything, I could cut months on production out of the schedule by buying an inventory. So, if I were to make an FPS game? I'd buy UFPS in a snap to save me the time.

21. MrSpaceChicken

MrSpaceChicken

I'm on unity 5 watching the mobile development for space shooter. at 17:06 it wants you to change the format of a few texture, but it isn't showing up where it should be. What should I do instead?

Update: My bad there is the format but in there, there isn't the same options as before so I don't know which to choose

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  22. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you please give us a little more information? Please use screenshots if you need to. Can you let us know what you are being asked to choose and what your choices are? This will make it easier for us to answer.

23. gwnguy

gwnguy

Hello,
    I've going through the tutorials for "Creating a Text Based Adventure" starting at "youtube com" watch?v=jAf1I1UWo5Q
    There are two parts each with 8 episodes. I've downloaded the resources from http://bit.ly/unitytextadventure1 and http://bit.ly/unitytextadventure2.

I'm on part 2, episode 4 at 16:00 and I am having a problem adding the input actions to the GameController in Unity. I do not have the serializable array of Input actions in the Game Controller script. I'm assuming I missed something in one of the episodes somewhere along the line.

Is the "Completed" project available anywhere?
    I will re-listen to the past episodes again, but .

I have Unity 5.6.0f3 on Win 10 64 bit.

Thanks

24. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This is probably a question for the presenter: @Matthew-Schell

He's preparing a new training session, so he may take a short while to respond.

25. gwnguy

gwnguy

Thanks Adam (and Matthew)
    I restarted from scratch and found I missed it at 9:38 in episode 7 part 1.
    Looking forward to his next training session.
    Thanks again

26. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

Glad you found a solution!

27. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

When I click the Live Training URL for Amplify Shader Editor: Adding Visual Polish To Your Game. I get this:
    It asks me to log in, but as you can see I am already logged in. I can click any of the other Live Training URLs and get in with no problem.

Is this because I am not a Unity Plus member?

Attached Files:

28. MrSpaceChicken

MrSpaceChicken

Yeah sorry i thought i was specific enough. he starts explaining at 16:37 of the mobile development for space shooter that the graphics for the sprites. After you select them you click override for the iPhone opening up a few more options. you then change the format to true color. Instead of having the option true color, there are a bunch of different sizes starting with something with RGB or RGBA. (seen on right inside inspector)
    upload_2017-5-15_18-12-35.png

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

So, these are the uncompressed settings that include the alpha channel:
    9217d6ebdf2e5af6a97adf8fa93213a1.png

To find this on your own, you can select the quick link to the documentation:
    c9724e74b82a471051c8efb67f013cfe.png

This will take you here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html

I then chose to follow this link for more information:
    2e022448486535cbdc091794ea1ba28e.png

which took me here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporterOverride.html

This describes in detail the different formats:

MrSpaceChicken and Deleted User like this.
  30. Deleted User

Deleted User

31. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Could have been a caching, refreshing, internetty, webby sort of thing?

It seems to work now.

32. userexperiencesg

userexperiencesg

I'm trying to apply what you did in your last live training, and everything seems to be OK except the enemy ship which does not maneuver.

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you please post the details of your problem?

We need enough information to be able to know what your issue is, exactly, to be able to solve it.

Please write a complete and accurate description of your problem and include any relevant supporting material, such as screen captures and code snippets.

Please display any images in-line so we can see them easily and post any code snippets using code tags. (How to use code tags: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/using-code-tags-properly.143875/)

In this particular case, I'm not even sure which live training you are referring to. Can you include a name, description or link?

34. NasesUyno

NasesUyno

What a great tutorial that was. Thank you!

35. nwzebra

nwzebra

In the latest live training videos, "Designing With 2D Game Tools, " 4. Sorting Groups and Transparency Sort Axis was incorrectly spliced. It starts from the beginning of the session and needs to be trimmed to about 31:50.

36. Hellsshock

Hellsshock

Hello!

First of all, I want to thank all those involved for the many tutorials. I've just started working with Unity and it's been a great help. I do, however, have a bit of an issue with one of the live training's that I can't figure out. Specifically, the 2D Character Controller tutorial taught by @Matthew-Schell (link: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/2d-game-creation/player-controller-script?playlist=17093).

I followed along and the jump mechanics are working beautifully. The one problem I have is that when the player runs up an incline, the player "jumps" of. Judging by the height, it seems to be a max height jump, as if the jump key was held down until completion. The character also shows the jump animation. It's only when the character runs up an incline, not when running of a 90 degree edge. I want to fix this, but I can't figure out what the cause is. It's not a mistake in my coding, because if I copy the script from the page linked above, the problem persists.

My best guess is that it's either something to do with velocity along the y axis (as the character is running up an incline and thus has velocity along that axis) or it's because of the way we check for collision. It could be in the projection or in the cast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  37. RobH99

RobH99

Game examples that were formerly part of the '2D Pack' asset package are now supposed to be available in separate packages but I cannot seem to find them. I've completed the 'Angry Birds' style tutorial, Part 1, but some of the code from version 4.5 seems to have been deprecated so I'm looking for some hints to get it working in 5.6.

38. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

Hello,
    the project tutorial in the link was done 3 years ago in 2014.

Now 2017, I downloaded Unity Remote 5. but it is not working.
    I am using Unity 2017 editor latest version.

What should I do? Any idea?

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you post some examples of what's not working for you? People here may be able to help you out if you have specific examples of deprecated code that needs to be updated.

40. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have not heard of any reports of Unity Remote not working with the current version of Unity. Can you either add more details here or open a bug report? Or both and get me the report number?

KAYUMIY likes this.
  41. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

Thank you for your answer.
    I solved the problem. Problem is that I did not install I-Tunes. without i-Tunes Unity Remote 5 is not working on windows desktop PC.
    Thank You again.

42. SeparatstAudio

SeparatstAudio

Hey man, Im a bit stuck, I know this tutorial was done a while ago but I wonder if you can help me, it appears in my newer version of unity rigidbody is depreciated so I am getting errors in the code. I'm a beginner. Thanks in advance

Code snip.png

43. JohnPet

JohnPet

You instantiate the throwThis as a GAMEOBJECT, where it should be RIGIDBODY. Trying changing it and see what happens..

44. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I think that, instead of accessing .rigidbody directly, you should use GetComponent<Rigidbody>() instead...

45. SeparatstAudio

SeparatstAudio

Hi @Rodolfo-Rubens Thanks man! That kinda worked but when playing in the editor it says that the object I want to instantiate is Null?

upload_2017-11-4_13-32-45.png

upload_2017-11-4_13-51-57.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  46. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

You need to drop the prefab you created from the Project pane in the projectile* field in the inspector, I think he explains this in the video, you may have missed...

47. unity_Ram

unity_Ram

Thanks Adm sir

48. quyrean

quyrean

Are there any plans for further live training? The live training page says:

> Live sessions are moving to Unity Connect. Please join us here for new sessions and the most up to date schedule.

But I do not see any live training on the new schedule. I was super rarely able to attend live due to being at work, however I looked forward to watching each video and learning something after work. Thanks.

Foo-Byte, AlanMattano and rakkarage like this.
  49. JustMrLemon

JustMrLemon

So, I press start and I go to my next scene, but it doesn’t fade back to normal. How do I make it fade back?

50. JustMrLemon

JustMrLemon

This is the game jam template btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.