Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Custom Editor Extenstions

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by FireBolt-Studios, Aug 12, 2017.

1. FireBolt-Studios

FireBolt-Studios

Hello Developers,

In a bid to generate more work for my portfollio and further define my footprint on the developer scene, I am offering my services in the area of editor extensions. If you would like me to write a editor extension for you or your project just leave a reply here detailing what functionality you need it to have.

Small to medium requests only please, that way I can make sure I have time for my own projects and be able to provide extensions to as many developers as possible. I have a family and am very busy usually so dont expect it to be a fast process and as always complexity = time.

The only thing I ask for in return is to be able to attribute you as a developer or the project you are using the tool for in my portfollio and projects on Unity Connect. I like direction and flourish with a defined goal (Which I struggle with my own projects, I'm always adding an changing things) so I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys ask for!

Thanks!
    Jamie White
    FireBolt Studios

2. quizcanners

quizcanners

I know a few things about Custom Editors myself, but something I never figured out how to do: overriding scene tools. Rotation is rotation, move is move. But let's say I have an object that has some very special vertex shader, and for that object I want rotation not to rotate gameobject's transform, because it will not change how it looks, but to effect certain material parameter.

3. FireBolt-Studios

FireBolt-Studios

Ok, quite a challenge from the start I see, well I will see what I can do about that. Initial thoughts are theorectically its completely possible but challenging as I will have to come up with a formula to convert roations to a pliable format. This one may take a bit of time so bear with me :)

I've had a look at this, and if you want to rotate the texture maps of a vertex shader you need to do it in the shader! Hmm, if you wanted to be able to rotate any vertex shaders texture maps with one tool I think you would need to be able to inject a method into a shader script and that would take some seriosuly heavy lifting even if it is possible.

Im no expert on shaders so I can be wrong, I will keep researching this but i think this a job for another developer with more experience with shaders.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. carl010010

carl010010

I would definitely like a fresh pair of eyes on an idea I've been thinking about for a long time now and just started to implement. It's a feature that the unreal engine has, it allows you to move an object and have the scene view camera follow. Keeping the object in the same position relative to the camera. I have the feature about 50% the way there, there are just some bugs that I can't figure out how to fix. It mostly works fine when moving an object side to side and up and down relative to the camera. But if you try to move the object back and forth or at an angle relative to the camera, you and the object can be sent hundreds of thousands of units away.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    6. [InitializeOnLoad]
    7. public class SceneViewCameraEditor : Editor
    8. {
    9.     static GameObject currObj;
    10.     static Vector3 oldpos;
    13.     static SceneViewCameraEditor()
    14.     {
    15.         SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += Follow;
    16.     }
    18.     ~SceneViewCameraEditor()
    19.     {
    20.         SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate -= Follow;
    21.     }
    23.     static public void Follow(SceneView sceneView)
    24.     {
    25.         Event e = Event.current;
    28.         if(Selection.activeGameObject == null || e == null || sceneView == null) return;
    30.         //TODO The camera can move with an undo action i.e control-shift-Z
    31.         if (Event.current.shift)
    32.         {
    33.             if (currObj != Selection.activeGameObject)
    34.             {
    35.                 currObj = Selection.activeGameObject;
    36.                 oldpos = currObj.transform.position;
    37.             }
    39.             if (oldpos != currObj.transform.position)
    40.             {
    41.                 Vector3 dif = new Vector3 ((oldpos.x - currObj.transform.position.x),
    42.                     (oldpos.y - currObj.transform.position.y),
    43.                     (oldpos.z - currObj.transform.position.z));
    45.                 //Move the scene veiw camera
    46.                 UnityEditor.SceneView.lastActiveSceneView.pivot -= dif;
    47.                 UnityEditor.SceneView.lastActiveSceneView.Repaint ();
    48.             }
    49.         }
    51.         if(currObj != null)
    52.             oldpos = currObj.transform.position;
    54.     }
    55. }
    Even just your input would be greatly appreciated.

5. FireBolt-Studios

FireBolt-Studios

Hey there, I think Unity3D enables you do this anyway, while in play mode you can press ctrl-f on an object in the hiearchy and it will follow that object with keeping the camera relative in scene view. If you require some other functionality let me know :)

6. quizcanners

quizcanners

Thanks. On that note, I have an custom editor asset on Asset Store.
    Not trying to promote it because I haven't got enough feedback from people I gave it to yet. So I'm still giving it for free to volunteer testers. If you are interested, let me know, I'll provide the voucher.

7. FireBolt-Studios

FireBolt-Studios

Ahhh that's brilliant, will definitely check that out if send me the voucher, and If you wanted I will give a review, with that being said if you wanted to return the favour and rate and review one of my packages it would be a great help, although it is not an extension it has meshes, textures and code, of course free voucher too!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/82391

8. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

Hey Jamie,

I am working on a minecraft engine that is on the asset store (Laircraft < sticking that in google usuallys brings it up first hit, I'd paste but the new store makes that messy).

The engine has a ton of editors in it that are always looking to be improved. If your interested drop me an email to (Removed)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019