Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Frame-rate control on Android / extending battery life

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wrywulf, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Wrywulf

Wrywulf

I have googled shamelessly for the answer to this question a while now, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere...

Problem:
    I'm fiddling with a 2D puzzle-style game targeting Android devices and have succeeded in making a working demo. So far so good.

However, the when running the game and "adb shell top", I notice the cpu usage on my Nexus S is around 70% and the device is getting rather hot, which is seriously bad business for the battery life.
    Checking the internal profiler stats, I notice that a lot of the time is spent on rendering and issuing draw calls. On top of that, it seems that the frame-rate is being maxed out at 55-60fps, which is possible because the cpu-present delay is very short. This delay is pretty much the only time period the CPU can rest. This is fine for an action game i guess, but not ideal for a puzzle game.
    So, I really want to let the CPU rest a lot(!) more, since it's not really required to do all this work - the scene is static ~90% of the time.

Attempted solutions:
    Being a Unity newbie, I first started looking for a form of event-driven power-management in Unity mobile. Something like: letting the game loop thread sleep until some event (eg. touch, timer) wakes it up and lets it do its job. Perhaps even extending it with a form of wakelocks, similar to what the Android OS Power-management framework utilizes.
    I ruled this out pretty quickly, since this apparently breaks with the nature of Unity's update loops.

Then I thought, there are two approaches:
    1. reduce the amount of draw calls and complexity of scene (I use a lot 2D toolkit sprites, textures with transparency) - this is a need to have anyway
    2. reduce the targeted framerate to perhaps ~30fps, thereby letting the CPU rest longer between frames.

1. is more or less specific to my project and must be done. But I thought that Unity could provide some form of control of the frame rate in 2...

So far, I had no luck:

• ...tried setting Application.targetFrameRate to 30 and disabled Sync to VBL, but no change in fps. Still hammering away at 55-60.
    • ...looked for a similar setting to the kFPS #define in AppController.mm for iOS devices, but no luck. Overriding the UnityPlayer Activity in Android doesn't give any similar handle..
    • ...inserting varying Thread.sleep(x) calls in LateUpdate(), trying to maintain ~30ms frametime. This slowed down the framerate of course, but seriously messed with the touch inputs and game experience.

Does somebody out there have an idea about what I can do to control the fps/main loop for Android devices??

I can't believe that I'm the only making a "non-action" game for Android that could settle for a lower framerate in exchange for improved battery life..

Thanks in advance!

2. RefinedGames

RefinedGames

in my Awake()

Application.targetFrameRate = 30;

works fine for me and is both respected in Editor and on device

3. Wrywulf

Wrywulf

Thanks for your input - it's nice to know that it actually works!

Hmm... after some testing I just found that v3.3.0 apparently does not honor this setting - neither on Android devices or in the Editor. However, the 3.4.1f5 does!

So, by disabling Vsync in Quality settings I could control fps via targetFrameRate - perfect!

4. jorge-castro

jorge-castro

does this have some impact in the battery life or not?.

5. Elecman

Elecman

6. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

Did the battery life improve after this??

7. schchang1

schchang1

Has anyone tested the battery life improvement using new Unity UI system?