Search Unity

fps drop from 80 to 20 after reimporting project

Discussion in 'Linux' started by CloudFs, May 23, 2017.

1. CloudFs

CloudFs

Hi,
    I've been both windows and Linux user at the same time,
    I've been using unity on windows only
    then, I decided to move to Linux permanently, I was workling on a game so i saved the project folder and imported it to Linux, after installing 5.6.1xf1Linux Unity Editor everything worked fine i just dropped the project from windows, in my new unity projects folder. the problem is that on windows i used to get 70 80 fps but here I'm getting 20 27 ... how do I fix this?
    and do you recommend that i just develop on unity on windows? and forget about Linux?
    i'm on UBUNTU 16.04
    I have
    an APU A8-5600K
    an NVIDIA GT740 2GB 128-bit
    ADATA GOLD 8GB RAM
    1TB SEAGATE HDD
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    160GB TOSHIBA HDD (OS)

I'm using Nvidia's 375.39 official Linux Tested driver

2. CloudFs

CloudFs

anybody ? some help please ?

3. Cygon4

Cygon4

Hard to tell.

A guess: check whether your 'Console' window fills up with messages. Those can drain performance like crazy if they're generated at one or more per update (which may happen if, for example, some script tries to access a reference that broke during reimport).

Otherwise, likely the only thing you can do is to disable everything in the scene and enable it piece by piece until the frame rate drops to figure out what's causing it. If it's Unity itself (= empty scene has 20 fps), it may be a good repro case to send to Unity support :)

CloudFs likes this.
  4. CloudFs

CloudFs

i did that and every time i remove something the fps goes up
    but that shouldn't happen it should have the same fps it had on Windows

5. quaternionpipeline

quaternionpipeline

I am having the same problem with FPS, and will make a post with detailed comparision between windows and linux editors in my game. I will also link the test project so everyone can test how it performs on their system. I really hope this will get fixed. But no time yet :)

However, i noticed that you use 740M. It's a mobile card often working together with builtin video. In that case, did you install bumblebee and switched to 740M? Because if not, the default is usually builtin, and it's very slow. Unlike windows, where you select video card for every app you run, in ubuntu in many drivers you select it, and re-login, making everything run either on 740m OR builtin, including unity.
    For example, look for the label on unity-editor window. If it says anything lower than openGL 4.5 (like OpenGL 3.2) you're probably on builtin video.
    I am not sure if it's relevant to your notebook, but decided to share :)

6. CloudFs

CloudFs

no i don't have a laptop .. it's an Asus Nvidia GT 740 .. not 740M ..

7. dr0r

dr0r

All of the above is probably not drains in performance, but 3 at least parties writing to the buffer like it is international poker.
    Mind looking or showing the xorg file?

8. CloudFs

CloudFs

i'm no longer on Linux i went back to windows just to continue developing