Search Unity

Forums keeps logging me out

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Baste, Aug 2, 2016.

1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

I've brought it up with IT again to ask if anything in Unity ID got updated/changed since many of you are experiencing more frequent login issues the past week. Hoping for a response soon.

JoeStrout and Lex4art like this.
  2. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

If you have 3rd party cookies enabled and still having login issues, there may be some plugins that are causing these. Does anyone have plugins installed on your browsers?

We've had cases where users using Chrome with account login were sometimes having problems, and deleting Unity cookies wasn't helping. Then we asked the users to logout and login again and the issue disappeared, and it seemed to be the plugins that were installed.

Not sure this is the case for everyone, but just trying to track down what's causing these sudden login issues, as the accounts system has not had an update or change lately.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I can say that I haven't updated Firefox, changed any settings, or changed what plugins I have installed, in many months. Yet the problems here started just last week (and are still going on today).

But for completeness, here's what I've got:

4. Ayfel

Ayfel

People cannot answer in this post so you will get no info from here xD, it took me many tries to answer here. It seems I need to have several tabs open in the forums (that is the only way I can post, it kicks me out of one but lets me post in another)

P.S: It might be working better now

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I suspect this might be some sort of server capacity issue. At about the same time that I started being frequently logged out, I think I noticed the Alerts pop-up taking considerably longer to appear. Everything feels a bit slower, but that's where it is especially noticeable.

So, I wonder if the log-outs are related: some script is trying to keep us logged in, but the servers are taking too long to respond, and so it gives up — with the result that we find ourselves not logged in. This theory doesn't require any changes to our browser environment, or to the server; it could be triggered merely by an uptick in global usage (or server load from some completely different process running on the same machines/network). And it might explain why some people see it and others don't; it would depend partly on how fast the network is between each of us and Unity's servers.

Just a crazy theory... but it wouldn't hurt to ask the IT folks to check the load history.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No; this is with Safari, and it just started happening several days ago with no changes on my end. Since a bunch of people suddenly started having problems at the same time, it seems pretty clear this is a server-side change.

--Eric

7. Baste

Baste

Yeah, this is a very noticeable change from a week ago, tops.

I'm on Chrome with a bunch of extensions running, but I've had to log in once every two weeks or something since the last time this was a problem. Now I've had to log in every time I come back to the site. I keep logged in while I'm browsing, but other than that, a new login is neccessary every time I return.

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Exactly the same for me.

9. eses

eses

I'm getting logged out whenever I:

- Restart Firefox (latest beta always)
    - Come back from other tabs after a while (after 15-30 minutes)
    - Sometimes reload page is enough to kick me out

I've stopped caring about this...
    I just have automatically filled username and password saved, so I can login with couple of mouse clicks...

This has been going on for maybe a year or how long?

I've got many addons installed, using stylish to for Unity forums re-skinning

But TBH I find it bit unlikely that issue would be purely caused by user browser configuration.

I haven't had any similar issues on other forums...

of course it could be, but then again,

maybe they are using some not-so-good method for user login / monitoring related thing....

10. HiddenMonk

HiddenMonk

As a request, can we temporarily have the id and password login input fields directly on the top of every forum page if we are logged out so that our browsers can remember our id and passwords and we can loggin with a single button click?

P.s. I am on a android tablet using chrome.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  11. Meltdown

Meltdown

I'm in Chrome, on Windows 10, 64-bit, and have to log in again every single time. This never used to happen though.

I don't have any plugins installed. Fairly fresh install of windows. Clearing cookies doesn't help.

12. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Yeah, doesn't sound like plugins are the issue here. I've asked the team working on the accounts system to chime in here directly in the thread to gather more information.

chelnok, eses and JoeStrout like this.
  13. Gruguir

Gruguir

Test :) i suspected the issue was not on my side, i'm glad to find this thread. (Chrome/Edge, Windows 10 64)
    Edit : Oh and it worked this time

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've tried on four different browsers, three of them with no third-party extensions and I'm still getting logged out all the time.

15. Meltdown

Meltdown

Sounds like we have a Cookie Monster

16. brisingre

brisingre

It's happening to me too. Has been for weeks.

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It seems to be fixed now, or at least I haven't had to log in again today.

--Eric

18. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Agreed, it does seem better today.

(I bet the IT staff are going to say they haven't changed anything — I still suspect it's a server load issue.)

19. unicat

unicat

Yes, seems to work now.

20. and-poulsen

and-poulsen

Unity Technologies

We did change something. And we're glad it seemed to work. I still suspect that the old problem that have persisted for a few months still is present. We're aware of it and investigating.

SaraCecilia, chelnok and JoeStrout like this.
  21. Gruguir

Gruguir

nope still here
    edit : On another thread i can't post or 'like' at all

22. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Can you link me the thread?

23. Gruguir

Gruguir

24. sngdan

sngdan

This is an ongoing joke from Unity to test patience level of users...it will never stop.

25. MV10

MV10

Still not fixed for me, either. I have to login on the first visit (not having problems replying, navigating, etc)

26. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

I have these problems too, is a pain in the arse to re login each time I want to reply some thread or check my alerts, the logged in state stays for not too long,

that's happening to me too, and I use the "remember me" check, also I have firefox updated and I didn't restrict anything with the cookies, there was a time when I could keep logged in, so I know for sure it worked with my current config, this something server side, not user side.

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

If it was completely server side surely it would affect everybody? Because I can stay logged in now. (At least on the forums...I'm still always logged out of Answers.)

--Eric

28. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

We're using another solution for logging in using Unity ID to Answers, trying to move away from that solution but it's a very slow process. Seems several people (that have been very active) are suffering from this.

29. brisingre

brisingre

This has started happening to me again.

30. artofcode

artofcode

It was broken for me for ages until I finally found out about the 3rd party cookies exception mentioned some posts before.
    Using chrome, I went to Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Manage Exceptions (Under 'Block third-party cookies and site data') and added these two lines with 'Allow' as behavior (exactly as typed below, with the brackets)

[*.]unity.com
    [*.]unity3d.com

That seems to do the trick and allowed me to stay logged in. Simply disabling 3rd party cookies should work as well, but wouldn't recommend it for daily use on other sites.

31. anicecompany

anicecompany

Logs out after 1-2 seconds. Win 7, Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (Stays logged in on Firefox)

32. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

I don't know what or if unity guys did something recently, but my user seems to work fine again since last couple of days

33. Baste

Baste

So this is happening again, yesterday and today.

Try to post something:

TryToPost.png

Click the button, and:

ButNo.png

34. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Yes same here, with or without privacy badger, on chrome mac and safari. google utilities all red flag.

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's fine here with Safari. Set cookies to "allow from websites I visit".

--Eric

36. Vixxd

Vixxd

Hi, I'm also being constantly logged out. I have two forum threads I am waiting on responses for so have Pinned them in Chrome - I'm restarting my computer loads today as I need to reinstall a lot of things so each and every time I need to log in again as I can't even access my own pinned thread - it just redirects me to the forum index.

37. anajames86

anajames86

I always sign in with the option to remember the credentials, but the next time i visit the forum, i have to log in again.

38. and-poulsen

and-poulsen

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,
    We're looking into this problem and just tweaked some settings yesterday that should sort out some of the problems. If you can keep an eye out this week if there's any improvements and report back - we would appreciate it, we can then further iron out the login issues. We also have other changes coming that should help.

Also, if there are any consistently reproducible steps that causes you to be logged out, please share!

39. anajames86

anajames86

Well again i had to do this putting in my credentials again. Hope you find the issue.

40. Player7

Player7

I still get this issue.. sick of it, out of all the websites that remember a login from day to day.. or ones I haven't visited in months.. only unity websites fails to remember.

I have no idea what you've done with your web login system but it is broken af.

41. brisingre

brisingre

Yup. Just happened to me.

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Looks like something broke today...no issues yesterday, always logging out today.

--Eric

43. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

I can't even log into Unity Answers from home anymore and it has been like that for weeks - just redirects me back to the UA home. I have to log back in daily there at work. The forums generally keep me logged in, but sometimes not. It's definitely broken and frustrating.

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Seems fixed today (at least the forums). I don't have a problem logging into Answers from anywhere, but I do have to log in there every time.

--Eric

45. Player7

Player7

Unity I'm still logged in today.. :eek: whats going on, this ain't normal.:)

46. HarBenly

HarBenly

I am coming here after a long time and yeah it happened just now. Although I haven't refreshed my browser nor I ever signed out from here but when I got here I was asked for credentials and the auto-save feature also did not work

47. HarBenly

HarBenly

Is it this forum's issue or something other than that is messing my browser?

48. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

logging out still happening

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  49. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Yep, same here - mostly in Unity Answers. Still can't even log into that from home unless I use incognito. Website accounts have been a solved problem for 17+ years now. Sure would be nice if UT could allocate some resources until this problem is completely fixed.

50. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Anyone using a VPN?