Search Unity

For Those Who Have Doubts...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by metaldc4life, Apr 9, 2017.

1. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

This post is to encourage people to not give up on their game,
    i have felt that i have not done much in unity and making games but i want those that are in the same position that i was in to NOT GIVEUP!
    This may seem like a strange post, but to some (like me it gives me an array of hope, a light in the darkness and a beacon that shows light..)
    So WHATEVER your project in unity is...Remember these words.. Don't...Give...Up.. :")

If you agree with this please comment if you don't please comment anyways..
    Everyone's opinion counts!
    EVERYONE'S!
    ;)

Have A Good Day..

2. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I have given up dozens of times. And each time I come back. So, I encourage people to try giving up and if you are able, congratulations you weren't meant for this in the first place.

frosted, Not_Sure, HarBenly and 5 others like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Giving up can be a good thing. It was for me anyway. I get paid much more in a more mundane engineering job then I ever would get in games. And now I just get to mess around with the bits of games that I like doing. And I don't have to worry much about having enough money for food.

Statistically speaking, not everyone who wants to work in games can. So if you aren't successful breaking in, it makes more sense to move on to new endeavours.

Stubbornness is not always a virtue.

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

It's also important to have a "finisher" attitude.

Maybe you discover your plan is too ambitious and exceeds your capabilities. Or perhaps you have decided to try something completely different.

Well, consider closing and making your current development something runnable even it's just a prototype, and store it somewhere. It's fun to share and have a look at those projects in a few years.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    theANMATOR2b, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Hope[] hope;

6. Stardog

Stardog

I haven't given up on any of my 1000 unfinished games. I just haven't finished them yet.

7. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

Wow i'm glad that my comment made such a positive impact! ;)
    (I think so anyways lol)

8. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

After releasing a couple games on Android, I quickly learned that without a marketing campaign, your game is worth nothing.

You must know how to communicate to your audience. You need to make sure every potential customer knows about your new fantastic game. Knows that they will have immense fun, if they just download it.

Most developers and artists don't have this skill. Most developers and artists won't enjoy learning this skill.

I love making games, but one of my success criteria was that the game would be popular. I got demotivated when it wasn't. So I decided to put my free time into other endeavors. I still love making games and I have recently returned to Unity, but I had to let go of high sales as one of my motivators.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    ZakCollins and theANMATOR2b like this.
  9. methos5k

methos5k

I recently started making (small) games, but for a long time programming was an off and off hobby of mine. Unity makes it a fun these days, and it's relaxing to be creative/problem solve/build :) All for fun, though; not a job for me.

10. Rasly233

Rasly233

I was expecting this to be like "Don't give up because i made tons of money with my game and so can you!".

11. CaptainTPK

CaptainTPK

As Kenny Rogers says. "You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em.".

There comes a point in a games development life when you need to decide if it is with carrying on our starting another project.

I've seen a lot of people make games that aren't fun and set to fail just because they couldn't let go.

Let go, take it as a learning example. You can always come back to it later if you change your mind.

Sorry for the negativity, but that's my view.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  12. Schneider21

Schneider21

I think there's a big difference between "Don't give up on making your game" and "Don't give up on getting a job in the games industry."

If we're talking about the latter, absolutely I agree with @BoredMormon. But I'd add that if you're even considering giving up in the first place, then the games industry is not for you, and you should give up. It's far too competitive of a field to waffle about, unsure of whether or not you want to or can cut it.

But if we're talking about just making your dream game as a hobby, I say never give up. You may need to put your idea on hold indefinitely while your skill set catches up, or cut the features back until it's unrecognizable, but if you want to and are able to (in the sense of being able to eat, sleep, and maintain a life balance) work on your game idea, by all means, do so!

I'll never be a great guitar player. I lack the ambition to even try it. So I shouldn't quit my job and try playing down on the street for tips in the hopes that I'll be discovered. But there's certainly no harm in keeping that guitar in my closet and breaking it out now and then when I feel like playing. It's always good to have hobbies!

13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

There are such things as impractical projects. Not giving up is also about lowering the bar if needed!

Whatever you do, be sure to feel proud about what you're doing, it's a good rule of thumb.

14. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

No No I Like Your Review I Really Do, You Are RIGHT Too! =)

15. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel somewhat hopeless about Unity because of the many many times that I've collided with it and failed with it. Not really Unity's fault. But it has been very frustrating. I also don't like how intellectual and technical I become, or have to become, in order to make happen what I want to make happen. It's not a heartfelt experience. I'm trying to tap more into the art side of things now but we'll see.

metaldc4life likes this.
  16. mysticfall

mysticfall

Sorry for nitpicking, but I believe it's "fold 'em". It's the only original Kenny Rogers song that I like, so I couldn't resist :p

Not_Sure likes this.
  17. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

Array of Hope is good and more is better but may be keeping size of scope array limited will be helpful for first game:)

Ryeath, Not_Sure and metaldc4life like this.
  18. CaptainTPK

CaptainTPK

Sorted! I blame it on auto correct.

19. HarBenly

HarBenly

Hope is what keeping us running. Don't lose hope. No matter what.

theANMATOR2b and metaldc4life like this.
  20. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

I'm with you man!
    HOPE is what keeps us alive too!! lol

HarBenly likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Actually I would advocate giving up if it gives you no pleasure. Anyone already doing this for a living knows clearly the hardships and won't take this advice as it's advice meant for hobbyists.

I see some hobbyists struggling in clear pain for why or what reason I don't know. Thought hobbies were meant to be fun ;)

aer0ace, Kronnect, frosted and 6 others like this.
  22. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

Exactly!
    When i work or play in unity, i have to realize that its a hobby, not a job (for me anyways) but some time it gets to me and i think the ladder for some odd reason lol..

23. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

What was the point of this post?

Ah, whatever...

I'm going to post motivational things now.

24. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

25. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

26. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

27. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

@Not_Sure

You rick-rolled this thread!!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Ryeath likes this.
  28. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

By all means post away! lol ;)
    I can use the motivation!!!

29. HarBenly

HarBenly

Exactly! Thanks! :)

30. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

Your Welcome! It's True Too!

31. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

Very interesting topic metaldc4life, let me share my story on this topic. Growing up I loved playing video games (Still do), but never did I ever think it was possible for me to make them because video games seemed like magic, and I was not exactly the greatest student in school to think of myself in such way.

Nevertheless, I was able to graduate from college majoring in Software Engineering and went on to have a successful career as a professional programmer for 10+ years. Somewhere early in my career (Around 2011 to be exact), I was getting bored with the work I was doing and needed a side hobby to work on. I kept switching between different ideas on what to work on but eventually I pulled out some of my previous college work and one of the classes I had taken was game development related, it was pretty much an OpenGL course using C++ but eventually I went on to use the Ogre3D graphics engine in my final project and did quite well. If there's one thing I learned from that course, it was that game development was not fun if you start from the very scratch (At least not that fun to me), I wanted to focus more on the actual gameplay and needed something like a Unity (Which I did not know about at the time).

So I tried to make games on the side as a hobby, I experimented with different engines and frameworks and I always wanted to work on a platform that was free and contained a good chunk of programming (Which is why I avoided engines like GameMaker). I tried Panda3D, XNA, SFML, and even contemplated on building my own engine from scratch, ultimately none of these solutions were enjoyable to me, so I kept browsing through the game development forums and looking at other options. I had seen Unity being mentioned a lot but sadly I avoided it for a while because the so called "elite" programmers discouraged its use, so I was pretty much misled and thought that Unity was just like another GameMaker. Then one day I just decided to see what Unity was all about on Youtube, I remember seeing a video from Alec Holowka playing around with Unity and making some basic stuff, he was showing some of the features and he pulled up the scripting part, I noticed he used C# and had to write quite a bit of code to make what he was making function, since then I was sold on Unity and been learning it since (This was back in 2013).

My next issue was time, I'm a father of 2 little boys and having a full time job along with all the life responsibilities took a lot out of my time and energy, this made me regret not doing stuff sooner before getting married and having kids but that's water under the bridge and there's no point in dwelling on it. Needless to say, I worked on multiple projects and multiple ideas, I kept scrapping my projects, it's either I was not happy with it or I did not have enough confidence and always said "I'll do it later", well there's no later, it's either you do it now or don't do it at all, finally, after 6 years, I finally took the bite and released my first game yesterday. I don't know where it will take me, but the way I see it, it's better try than not, worst case scenario this is what I love to do on the side as a hobby and will continue to do it for fun whether I succeed in it or not.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks!

I haven't given up yet but I'm running in circles...

metaldc4life likes this.
  33. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

You just need to get good. Kick ass

34. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

I am LOVING everyone's posts!!!!!!

They have REALLY inspired my stay here on the forums and in Unity!

Can't remember if I posted this here or not though but i released a game on IndieDB and have been motivated ever since to stay here on the forums and in Unity3d!

All of you are awesome and I hope every single one of you thrive in creating, completing and posting their game for all of us to play here in the future!

Also Laabu19, Thank You for the uplifting post that you shared with us!!!

Thank You and Keep on it everyone! XD

35. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

Your Welcome!
    Keep On It! xD

Deleted User likes this.
  36. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Good learning about marketing here - get it out there. Provide links! ;)

Link please.

Link please.

dogzerx2 and metaldc4life like this.
  37. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

38. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

I will be uploading a whole new package on IndieDB Soon with water and better terrain etc.!
    Thank You For Your Like's And even Dislikes!
    Shows that people are willing to put the effort to tell me what they think! ;)

39. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

40. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

That seems like a lot of work, how long did it take and are you are continuously working on it>?

41. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

Well, some of them are assets some are done by hand..
    terrain is done with Gaia but i like to make my own terrains too... ;)
    the player i will try and revamp to make it a little more realistic..

Oh yes!
    I will update it Constantly!
    just let me know what it needs!
    Your opinion really counts to me!!! ;)

42. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

I just played it, it is a very cool game/demo, and I'm saying this honestly, not trying to be nice. Here's my feeback in detail:

- Your objects are very well placed in the game, good level deign.
    - I'm impressed that you were able to incorporate all those weapons and building tools in there, it shows depth.
    - I liked how the ghoul was chasing me all the way to the hills, that thing almost had me LOL, shows good AI.
    - The interaction with the environment is very solid.

The following are things that I think need work:

- The game was lagging a lot (Despite showing 60+ FPS at the top).
    - I noticed long range shots don't work or do any damage, I tried shooting a pig in the stable while I was in the hill, nothing happened.
    - The UI needs some work, I was somewhat confused trying to navigate around it.
    - Graphics a side, I think the overall presentation needs more work (More music, sound effects, camera effects, etc).

Other than that, you should be very proud of your work, specially if this was a solo project. I'm not sure what your background is, but if you want to continue pursuing this project, don't shy away from recruiting people that can better the things you're having trouble with, you actually have something on the table and it will be easier for others to join you. That way you can finish your game quicker and get better quality.

Good luck :)

metaldc4life likes this.
  43. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

0_0
    I love the feedback your giving me man!!!
    I Have Even More Motivation To Work On This!!!

I will address ALL issues and tackle them..
    Man, you don't know how much this will help me,
    I really appreciate your feedback!
    :)

Thank You!

44. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

No problem man, keep it up :)

metaldc4life likes this.
  45. cichys_

cichys_

I always gave up on my past side projects until i started to use Unity. Now i released my first game and i'm very proud of it.
    I know it's not perfect and probably i won't earn much money with this but i had a lot of fun, and i will make more games for sure.

46. metaldc4life

metaldc4life

Well that's all that matters in the end is that you have fun making one and finishing it..
    as well as making some money on the side from it is always a plus.. :)

47. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

I wonder if all of my gameplay testing done together with friends, counts as finished or not given up. o_O