Search Unity

Flythrough Mode Option

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by OhRyanOh, Mar 4, 2014.

1. OhRyanOh

OhRyanOh

Is there any way that Unity guys can disconnect having to hold down the right mouse button to enter into Flythrough Mode when in the Scene window. I would like to make it to where when your mouse is within the Scene window and you press the ASDW keys to navigate in FPS style you do not have to hold down the right mouse button. However, if you do hold down the right mouse button it allows camera rotation for looking around while you navigate. I swear my middle finger on my right hand is like broken now lol.

This would especially help me when i just want to go a super short distance forward again... without having to hold that right mouse button down nonstop as well as for very long distances where I'm just not getting there even when holding shift down. I do use the F key while objects are selected, but when you are starting a scene out and you have to go 1km away to navigate i gotta keep that right mouse down to get anywhere.

This could be done by doing the following. Always allow ASDW keys to activate Flythrough when in the Scene if you have right clicked in the Scene window at least once. When the right mouse button is clicked when any of the ASDW keys are already down; it is the default "rotate scene camera" while the right mouse button is down. I could start out by right clicking and get a good direction if i want to and then let off the right click for a while until i get there. Give me an option in the Preferences menu to do so.

Also this could help for when I need to move an object far away I can just take it with me so to speak if i'm holding a move gizmo down. If you have a lot of scene assets with the same name and you have one selected that you want to move, if you click off of it sometimes you loose it and you have to go back again to see which one it was... or i could just take it with me if I was holding the left mouse button down. I don't know that maybe complex,... perhaps if you start moving objects or rotating them than it takes you out of Flythrough mode but this one is not as important. What does everyone else think?

If there are any plugins available to do so please let me know. However, I am not sure if Unity exposes access to the Scene view camera.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can use the arrow keys; not entirely the same but maybe close enough?

Do what I did and buy a multi-button mouse, and map one of the thumb buttons to the third button. A lot more comfortable...I was never fond of using the scroll wheel as a button.

--Eric

3. OhRyanOh

OhRyanOh

Thanks for the great idea. What mouse did you buy? I am using a Logitech LX8 Cordless Laser Mouse. When I go into the SetPoint Settings it will only allow me to assign the thumb button to a Left Click action and the Right Click action is not in the list. I am wondering why Logitech won't allow it? For now though I can assign my thumb button for something more useful though...

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Logitech MX518. I've never used Logitech software (it always seemed kind of dodgy from what I've heard); I use SteerMouse, which allows you to assign pretty much anything to anything.

--Eric

5. OhRyanOh

OhRyanOh

Right on that is for Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) - Mavericks (10.9) and I have a windows box. My only option at this point looks to either complain to logitech or go with a different mouse like: http://steelseries.com/us/products/mice

I have been searching for something like Steermouse for windows but I'm having trouble finding anything that doesn't require a certain brand of mouse.