1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Flac audio import support, it's 2017 why no flac?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by larku, May 11, 2017.

1. larku

larku

Storing WAV files in a project for import seems pretty silly when we could use flac for the same lossless quality.

Flac is an open format that would be trivial to implement as an importer for Unity.

Why don't we have it? What's the deal?

Please hear us Unity, flac is wanted, it's 2017, why are we using WAV for lossless?? Makes no sense at all.

There's a feature request here: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/add-flac-audio-support please vote for it if you want flac support.

We want flac :(

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    MrEsquire and RemDust like this.
  2. larku

larku

Even better would be to expose an API so we could provide any codecs we choose :)

Any chance Unity?

3. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

I doubt you’ll ever get an API, since every different platform has different audio decoding libraries written in native code. For now, have you tried encoding your FLAC into an .Ogg file? The .Ogg container supports FLAC, maybe Unity has an up to date .Ogg library that will handle FLAC playback.

Note that iOS doesn’t support FLAC.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think we wants to play flacs at runtime, he just wants to be able to use FLAC in his project as his lossless format that will then be converted to whatever platform appropriate format Unity will convert it to.

Threw some votes on feedback, I'd like to see flac support too.

larku likes this.
  5. orb

orb

I gave it a bunch of votes too. FLAC can reduce file sizes anything from 20% to 80% (averaging about 30%), which is handy for shared projects.

larku likes this.