Search Unity

First Project, NEED HELP, AR marker based iOS app.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Beazyrider12289, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Beazyrider12289

Beazyrider12289

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am a Music student who needs to create an App for an assignment, so as you can imagine, I am well out of my depth.

The iOS app is what I'd consider being fairly simple (for someone of your caliber), and consists of marker based (QR codes) Augmented Reality, the idea being that QR codes are placed around the room and when the user looks at the code a .PNG image appears, the image that the QR code "projects" can be changed depending what setting is selected e.g. musical notes, chords, music theory.

Any help in developing this will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

I would wager that Unity is not the right tool set to build your app with. It doesn't sound like you're building a game, but rather something that just uses the camera and overlays images depending on the QR code visible.

Furthermore, it sounds like a somewhat complicated app for someone who's not a CS major to have to build. What kind of class is this for?

michigan_is_awesome likes this.
  3. michigan_is_awesome

michigan_is_awesome

I agree with Schneider21 that Unity may not be the right option.

ARIS is free and pretty easy to use. There's no coding required, and it can be used to create a number of different kinds of educational augmented reality games. Last I heard, it only ran on iOS (which it sounds like you're using). They have online tutorials and manuals on their site as well.

4. Beazyrider12289

Beazyrider12289

The project is for my BA (Hons) in Sound and Music Tech, throughout out the year a major research project is carried out where, at the end, a product of what you're researching is needed. My research project is based on using AR for education. As you can imagine I have NO programming skills and am in dire need of some major help.

5. Beazyrider12289

Beazyrider12289

Essentially, what I'm trying to make is Nintendo's 3DS augmented reality using cards as markers, however, instead of 3D characters being generated, its 2D images. (
    )

6. Schneider21

Schneider21

Can you team up with a CS major at your school on this? You're taking on a fairly large task here, and it's not really practical for any of us to be able to provide you the amount of support it seems you'll need.

Did you look at the link @michigan_is_awesome shared?

7. Beazyrider12289

Beazyrider12289

Yeah but that is mainly location based notifications, depending on where you are, you'll get a notification with information about the location you're in. What program would you recommend for this idea to be put into practise?

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

9. Beazyrider12289

Beazyrider12289

The problem I have at the moment using Vuforia, is that the target image doesn't remain saved nor is represented on screen: Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 15.06.54.png