Search Unity

First Person Hands with Animations

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Robert-Ramsay, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Robert-Ramsay

Robert-Ramsay

Hi All,

I have created these hands at a great intro price. The pack includes long and short arms, gloves version, blood versions and supports PBR, can be rigged in Humanoid setup for VR support. Please check it out and let me know what updates you want to see. New gloves version currently pushed for review, please check back in about 1 week, I will replay to the topic when it appears. Grab this while the sale is on! :)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/48520

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. JDrem1

JDrem1

HI, great looking hands. :)

I have 5 quick questions, I hope you can help.
    Forgive if they are noobish questions I am quite new to Unity. But really like the look of these hands.

♦ 1. Does the plugin also work with SteamVR Vive please? I only saw Oculus mentioned.

♦ 2. How easy is it to implement.
    Is the hand boned, can I, or do I need to add colliders, or is it already all set up?

♦ 3. Is the map available, for me to take into Photoshop to alter colours and appearance?

♦ 4. Is there a longer arm option with the gloves. I didn't see it in the screens or video.

♦ 5. I am primarily looking at this plugin for fantasy style RPG so archery (bows holding / pulluing etc.) swords, shields etc.
    Are these type actions included please?

Thank you for any help.

Best Regards.

Andy. :)

3. Robert-Ramsay

Robert-Ramsay

Hi,

1) I am not sure how to go about the steam setup but there should be tutorials on implementing your own hands. One user just made the hands orient to the controllers then took away any of the root animations. I found this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/357287304420388604/

2) The Hand has bones although you may want to add your own collision boxes and parent it as a game object to whichever bone(s) you like

3) All textures can be opened individually from Unity and edited/saved

4) Yes, not sure if I included it but I will update the pack with this if I see its not there.

5) I recently added those kind of poses for bows but should add motions for sword shield etc. If you need to add your own, then FBX file can open in Blender ( I will do a tutorial to cover this mid-august). I can add stab, swing, slice horizontal (left->right) and Swing down from above. Shield I can add some deflect-guard face, to left and to the right. Sound good? I will cover those in a tutorial too.

4. JDrem1

JDrem1

@Robert-Ramsay

Hello Robert.

I am SO sorry. I thought I had responded to your excellent reply above.

I am going to buy the asset.
    And yes Please I would love to have the ability to use sword and shield.
    And I am sure it would also be a selling point for others, as with the already implemented "bow animations" it bring much needed actions to any RPG.

But your comment about a tutorial on Blender for doing this would also be a huge benefit for future, and varied additions of our own.
    And or if you dont get around to adding sword and shield. It would enable users who do not have the Blender knowhow, to add them themselves. And even other tools, weapons etc.. and even perhaps 2 hand weapons.

And thank you about the long arms. (Always my favourite in VR) But with the gloves reply.

Very Best Regards.

Andy.

5. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hello.

Just wondered if your still doing the new grip/animations or the tutorials?

Thanks.

6. Robert-Ramsay

Robert-Ramsay

Hi All,

Sorry for the non-squakee, been on holiday then moved house. I have recently updated the hands with some extra animations of magic casting and also finger pointing etc.

I will be working on a brand new set of hands soon that are left-right independent and more ready for VR than this set. Just looking into that whole oculus touch setup.

I will try to find time to do some tutorials on removing keys and adding your own animations soon, just real busy catching up on client work, but really enjoying the popularity of these hand props. :)

Thanks for those who have bought these and continue to support me.

7. Robert-Ramsay

Robert-Ramsay

Apologies to anyone who recently purchased this, there is missing prefabs and meshes to include the gloves and short arms versions, please contact me by email me@robertramsay.co.uk for the updated version which is currently in the queue for Asset Store updates.

Thanks.

JDrem1 likes this.
  8. Robert-Ramsay

Robert-Ramsay

New version 1.51 is a complete overhaul of the skinning weights due to there being an initial skinning issue in older versions. This version may not work as a general update to your project and thus you will have to re-intergrate the prefabs from the model or use the new ones I have created.

There is also texture improvements and and extra normal map which works correctly with the lighting for the mirrored version of the arms.

Please suggest your animations you require here and I will then to add those alone with adding proxy weapons the help in your game design.

9. Robert-Ramsay

Robert-Ramsay

New Version is up!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. mnsmuts

mnsmuts

11. Rob78

Rob78

Hi what error did you have, the link just takes me back here to the forum.

12. orvedal

orvedal

"♦ 1. Does the plugin also work with SteamVR Vive please? I only saw Oculus mentioned."

There is no VR plugin. Unless you are an advanced expert on rigging objects to be used in VR, do not get these to use in your VR game. The author has already made his position on doing any more work to these for the purpose of VR clear, he won't. I was unsuccessful so far in rigging these in Oculus. Time vs reward: not worth for VR.

Unfortunately, I saw the comment above about there being an Oculus plugin before I purchased and did not see anything about these _not_ being for VR until I could not find anything regarding actually putting these into VR.

So in summation: I don't know why this fact is being put in small print, but these hands are _not_ designed with VR in mind, and if you don't want to, or have the know-how on how to take these back into a modelling program and re-rig the bones then you will not get these to work without some kind of asset that will assist in the set up or fake it. Trying these with VRTK currently.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  13. Rob78

Rob78

All I know is that someone has managed to get them working in VR, regardless of them not being setup specifically for that purpose.