Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

First impressions

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by Clodo, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Clodo

Clodo

I made (for free, source included: not spam, only a contribute to this community) this assets some time ago (youtube preview).
    It allow using Unity Editor 'out-of-the-box' in VR.
    It have some biggest issue that only Unity Team can resolve:
    - Only work in Play Mode (because headset it's off if not in Play Mode)
    - Stop working when interact with not-OpenGL-Unity-UI widgets (like context-menu). I described the bug here.

Of course Unity Team don't focus on this kind of issue, it's normal and expected, i'm nobody.

So, i was hopeful about the announcement of this EditorVR.

As first impression, i have some perplexity about some feature, but maybe i will open specific topics in future.
    My perplexity is about the general approach.

I understand it's Edit only (and probably never integrated in Play Mode). If true, it's a great limitation imho.

I understand it's more focused about an UI for VR for stuffs like moving/resizing object, navigation in the scene etc.
    So, it look like an attempt to re-write from scratch all the most used feature of normal Unity UI to adapt it to VR.
    I can understand why: usability. But at the same time, it is not realistically possible to reproduce all the features of Unity UI.
    For example the properties inspector. It's difficult to expect that developers write custom inspector also for EditorVR.
    It is uncomfortable to remove the headset for tuning for example some properties in TimeManager (in general, any kind of feature not yet supported by EditorVR).

So, i still hope that Unity Editor can support the render and interaction of the opengl/widgets/menu of Unity 'normal' UI on textures. Some kind of "RenderEditorWindowOnTexture".

Any "How i can ... in EditorVR" not yet supported can be answered with a "you can open traditional UI within EditorVR", and not with a "sorry, it's planned but not yet ready, remove your headset and do it".

My two cents. Thanks for reading.

2. Clodo

Clodo

(I'm quoting myself :p)
    Really, it's not a necessity.

The first time i see the Timoni preview of EditorVR opening the inspector panel, i think you take this approach: real portion of Unity UI rendered in VR.
    But it's not a real necessity: my approach (Duplication API) of entire full-screen of 'real' Unity it's ok and usable in VR, at least for me. It will be sufficient for real usability, that Unity fix the hang bug with context-menu and simply don't turn off the headset when not in Play Mode.

Please note: i'm NOT interested to move interesting of this community to my asset. NO! I want to drop my asset! My hope are all in your EditorVR. Also for this reason i release all source-code and i don't publish it on Asset Store.

To be constructive, an example, my typical use case:
    i enter in Play Mode, i pick my headset, and i play with my Vive controllers with a lot of cubes, and in the same time IN VR i change bounciness, friction, mass etc to test it in realtime. Or test in real Play Mode properties of a breakable joint.
    It will never be possible with EditorVR?

3. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Thank you for your feedback.

The ConsoleWorkspace and ProfilerWorkspace are examples of the "RenderEditorWindowOnTexture" that you mentioned. It's possible that this could extend generically to any other window.

We're looking forward to implementing a run-time stub, so that EditorVR tools can be brought into play-mode, but this is a delicate thing to do as it requires some coordination with the dev (e.g. hooking in to EditorVR to launch it at the discretion of the dev).

4. Clodo

Clodo

In EditorVR there isn't any input interaction with this kind of window.
    But when your team will try to implement it, for example for allow users to add GPU profiler, you will encounter one of the bug explained above: 1) native windows context-menu cannot be captured; 2) HMD stop when context-menu it's open.

In the mean-time, i opened an answer about the stop of HMD when Editor lose focus, if i discover a workaround that can be useful for EditorVR i will write here.

Thanks for your great works and your feedback.

amirebrahimi_unity likes this.