Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FINAL IK - Full Body IK, Aim, Look At, FABRIK, CCD IK... [1.0 RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Partel-Lang, Jan 15, 2014.

1. wirelessdreamer

wirelessdreamer

I'm currently using vrik with a controller tracked for plevis location and rotation. I already set the minimum head height to 0. When I drop down on my chest, i'm trying to find a good way to have the character go prone as well (like they are laying down flat on their stomach) how would you suggest going about that?

2. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Hi, I'm looking to improve animation of some spiders. They have animations which are good, but looking to do better walking over uneven ground. I saw the Youtube demo for ccd ik, looked great, but reading the manual for CCD I'm not sure if I'm applying Final IK to the parts of the mesh, or the bones used for the animations?

3. wirelessdreamer

wirelessdreamer

When I move the play area of the character, the "running" on the legs looks very cheesy by default with VRIK. Is the right way to improve the look, to use different animations based on movement speed? and the animation will be used over the ik, since I don't have the lower body affectors mapped to objects?

4. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

No, not yet, I think somebody had an idea and requested it, but it has not been implemented yet.

Hey,
    Going prone is not supported yet, I have not even tried that, sounds far too complex to make that look realistic.

Hey,
    You could make a standard 8-direction strafing blend tree (such as in the "Grounded Strafe" state in the "Humanoid Third Person" controller) and make it follow the head around.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

5. tetsuya00

tetsuya00

Hello, I'm using LookAtIK for robot. I'd like to limit the angle of eye. Especially, I want to move the eyes only horizontally. Could you give me some advice? Thank you.

(<- like this)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    tapawafo likes this.
  6. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    You could add a RotationLimitHinge to that eye, but it needs to be updated manually after LookAtIK because by default it would update before.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start() {
    2. rotationLimit.enabled = false;
    3. ik.solver.OnPostUpdate += AfterLookAtIK;
    4. }
    6. void AfterLookAtIK() {
    7. rotationLimit.Apply();
    8. }
    Cheers,
    Pärtel

tapawafo likes this.
  7. tetsuya00

tetsuya00

Thank you for advice. I think my code is not good, but it's working.

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class EyeIKSupporter : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     public LookAtIK LookAtIK;
    5.     private RotationLimitHinge _rotationLimit;
    7.     void Start() {
    8.         _rotationLimit = GetComponent<RotationLimitHinge>();
    9.         _rotationLimit.enabled = false;
    10.         LookAtIK.solver.OnPostUpdate += AfterLookAtIK;
    11.     }
    13.     void AfterLookAtIK() {
    14.         _rotationLimit.Apply();
    15.     }
    16. }

8. pan-master

pan-master

What is the funcion that Translatse Animated character to position of laying on the ground raggdoll?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Looks legit :)

Hey,
    Sorry didn't quite understand, did you mean you needed to turn a character to ragdoll or what?
    That would be just disabling the Animator and switching isKinematic to false on all the ragdoll Rigidbodies.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

10. pan-master

pan-master

I was looking for a function that was translating Animated Master Root character to Unpined Raggdoll postition in order to stand up. After some Time i figured out that this function must be part of "puppet" behaviour or at least somewhat correlated

11. DryginUnity

DryginUnity

Hello !
    I'm loving the asset already, but, there's the Hit Reaction demo script that I really wanted to use it when a character collides with a sword and trigger the reaction rather than clicking, I wanted the force to depend on how much damage the attack would deal, and the direction is obviously from which side the character is being hit by the sword, but I couldn't change the script to achieve that, is there a simple way to do that?

Thanks for you time!

12. SteveB

SteveB

Long time Partel, hello!

There's a VR game coming soon from Ready at Dawn who are doing some rather impressive things with fingers interacting with arbitrary objects. This would appear to an excellent addition to FinalIK -> VRIK, no?

Cheers brother!

Inspeinre likes this.
  13. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Yes, BehaviourPuppet just moves the target root to where the first muscle (hips) Rigidbody is.

Hey,
    Yes, you'd just multiply hit direction by some value, the magnitude of that vector is what matters.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. hitReaction.Hit(hit.collider, ray.direction * hitForce, hit.point);
    Hey, Steve, long time indeed, how you've been?
    Thanks for sharing that video, hadn't seen it. Looks awesome! I wonder if they're using any markers in the scene or is it all just raycast based.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

14. SteveB

SteveB

Doing great and can't wait to fully implement VRIK!

I suspect it's nothing more than Raycasts, and my guess (if I were doing this myself), they then start rotating at the knuckle primarily, and just a little bit at the second finger joint, and then depending on the amount of bend required, bend the second even more and finally bend the last knuckle.

Sounding it out loud, it seems entirely doable no? I this something you'd consider adding?

Thanks man and great to hear from you!

15. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    It seems doable alright, I mean we can see it done in the video. :)
    I have so much stuff to work on stacked up already in my todo list, it would probably take a long time before I'd get there. There is a FingerRig in the package though.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

16. SteveB

SteveB

I'll check it out man thanks! (It's been awhile since I've seen what's new in FinalIK...fingers crossed! lol)

Partel-Lang likes this.
  17. montyfi

montyfi

@Partel-Lang
    As soon as I activate VRIK I cannot calculate hand (or any transform) position anymore. Worst of all, any particle system attached to hand, for example, stop moving with hand movements.
    Easy to reproduce, attach any particle system to the hand controlled by VRIK.
    Could you please suggest how to fix that?

18. scanGoog

scanGoog

Just started working with this. Loving it.
    Feature Request for auto feet "Locomotion":

I wish there was a separate "step threshold" for forward back and side to side. Typically, the forward back threshold should be smaller than the side to side...to look correct.

19. AdamKane

AdamKane

Seeing lots of FinalIK build warnings:

Harmless, but kinda spammy during builds. In case it's relevant, I'm using Unity 5.6.0f1.

20. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    It happens because VRIK normally solves in LateUpdate (has to be after Mecanim updates between Update and LateUpdate) and you are trying to calculate hand position in Update, which is before VRIK solves. Same with the particles, they update before LateUpdate.

A solution would be to disable VRIK and Animator, then call animator.Update(Time.deltaTime) and ik.solver.Update(); in Update.

Damn, looks like they changed the Handles API in 5.6. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll take care of that with the next update.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

AdamKane likes this.
  21. epixerion

epixerion

Hi, I tried FinalIK for the past few day and I couldn't find anywhere an ik that would imitate the Spine from the FullBody ik, I would basically want an IK solver that will only take the spine bones of my character, with a root and target effect + a bend target (like how it work on fullbody), but without the whole fullbody thingy.

What I Initiality wanted to do is add a support for rotate the clavicle bones using a controller, but couldn't add it to the fullbodyIk script, but the script seem so complicated to change just to add such simple support, I would prefer to have an independant solver that rely on the Limb of the character

Thanks for the help.

22. joaomarceds

joaomarceds

Do you have plans to add this feature?

This may help you.
    https://readyatdawn.sharefile.com/share?#/view/s4565f1ec6e046469

23. montyfi

montyfi

Everything is working now, thanks a lot!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  24. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    If you just need to rotate the clavicle bones you can do so in LateUpdate() and the IK will just solve on top of that.
    But to solve just the spine, the fastest way would be to use LimbIK with the pelvis, spine and chest/neck as bone1, 2 and 3. Set Bend Modifier to Goal to get a bend target.

Hey,
    Very interesting paper. Looks like it could be done just by making a ray/sphere cast from somewhere around the palm towards each finger and then rotate the finger bones to point towards the hit points.
    I don't have plans to add this feature at the moment, but maybe in the future. Looks like it would require some hand animations so it will be quite hard to make it a generic feature that works with any hand model.

Best,
    Pärtel

25. tansir

tansir

@Partel-Lang Hi,I tried final IK and I found the demos are amazing ,but I had a big problem about how to use it in quadrupeds (like cat,dog...non-humanroid) ,can you show me some tutorial about this? Thanks a lot :)

26. epixerion

epixerion

Thanks for the answer, I will try rotate The clavicle in LateUpdate(), But i'm really interested in separating the spine algorithm for the fullbody ik,
    Using the LimbIk don't produce the same effect, I have 5 spine bones on my character, the LimbIk only affect the 3 specified bone and don't produce any kind of smoothing like on the fullBody, any tips on that ?

27. DryginUnity

DryginUnity

Thank for replying for my previous question, It works fine now! but I have another problem.

I'm willing to use the Grounder Demo controls for my game, but when I added some animations to the same animator, some of them require the Apply Root Motion of the Animator, which is not possible because it's Handled by Script (Character Animation Third Person) is there a solution for this please.

Thank you!

28. domini4

domini4

I have been trying to use the IKs in Final IK to make joined grab-able objects in VR using the HTC Vive controllers. I am trying to use the joints and the IK systems instead of the VRTK spring joints to built a similar system.

Has anyone succeeded in doing so ?

29. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    What kind of IK are you looking for? Are you having trouble with GrounderQuadruped or something else?

FBBIK uses those two triangles (left shoulder, right shoulder, spine) and (left thigh, right thigh, spine) you can see visualized in the Editor to pull the spine by the arms and legs. It then uses a FABRIK pass to map all spine bones so that the pelvis is fixed to the lower triangle and the last spine bone to the upper. So you might want to try FABRIK if you have more than 3 bones in the spine.

Hey,
    That demo controller does use root motion, it is just applied via script, so you should be able to use that.

Hey,
    I'm sorry I didn't quite understand. Could you share a screenshot of the system you are trying to build or something?
    Use support@root-motion.com or just PM me if you'd prefer to keep them private.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

30. tansir

tansir

@Partel-Lang hi partel,thanks for your reply,I need help about a fearture in my project:
    I have a cat model in scene,and play idle animation automatically.I want to use left mouse button to drag it's left/right hand bone to target postion,and If I drag hand bone to higher postion,the cat's body will be lifted up,and when I release my mouse button,the cat's hand will turn back to original position naturelly,like Clumsy Ninja,can you give me some advice or solution to archive this feature?Thank a lot!

31. Griffo

Griffo

Hi @Partel-Lang I have LOTS of the same humanoid enemy, is there an easy way of copying the first rag doll/puppet to all the others?

Thanks.

32. DryginUnity

DryginUnity

This is exactly what I have got

The desired behaviour:

The behaviour I've got:

The hierachy is exactly the same for Grounder Demo

When I remove the Character Animation Third Person and apply the root motion on the Animator it works just fine

Thanks for you time!

33. epixerion

epixerion

Hey, sorry if I sound like i'm insisting, I understand the FBBIK need the arm/legs joint to function, I did see in the editor that it create 2 triangle on my character, but that still don't fit my need :

I basically only need the spine bend capability of the FBIK, i don't need the arm to be capable of pulling the whole body, I just need that the spine have a smoothed bend from the pelvis to the top spine using the bend goal,
    using LimbIk don't work, as it only use 3 bone and produce a angle at the level of the middle spine bone
    I tried to use FABRIK Chain, put a chain on pelvis -> spine1 -> spine2 and a second chain at spine2 -> spine3 -> spine4 and then use a FABRIK ROOT, but its still produce that ugly bend between the 2 chain
    eg :

34. nostro66

nostro66

So i tried LegIK. Bending is correct, but a have got a lot of outstretched leg situations now ;-(

35. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey, sorry for the delay..

You could use AimIK on the spine hierarchy, LimbIK on the front paws. You'll have to solve AimIK first to make the spine look towards the target, then solve LimbIK to put one of the paws back to where it was on the ground before AimIK solved (set solver.IKPosition to solver.bone3.transform.position in LateUpdate) and the other paw to the target position.
    You can change the IK execution order by adding the IKExecutionOrder.cs component or by disabling the components at Start and updating their solvers manually by calling ik.solver.Update();

Hey,
    You can just copy the ragdoll hierarchy from one puppet to another if they are identical, but you'll have to replace the joint references in PuppetMaster.muscles. I don't have an editor script for that yet.
    If you are using the latest PuppetMaster, you will be able to use the PuppetMasterHumanoidConfig to share puppetMaster settings, check out the demo "Humanoid Config" scene. For BehaviourPuppet and other behaviours, just make them prefabs.

Hey,
    What if you set "Turn Speed" to 0 in CharacterThirdPerson for the time of the attack?

Hey,
    Have you tried CCD? I'm sorry, but there's no easy way to extract the spine from FBBIK, it's all interconnected with the limbs.

Hey, sorry what exactly do you mean by a lot of outstretched leg situations, could you share a video or something please?

Cheers,
    Pärtel

Griffo likes this.
  36. DryginUnity

DryginUnity

Hey, sorry for but I already tried to play with the parameters, I even removed the CharacterThirdPerson and the problem hasn't gone, disabling the CharacterAnimationThirdPerson also hasn't change anything, but REMOVING it made everything work fine, which made me intuitively think that the fact the Animator is being handled by script is what makes the problem occur, but removing it isn't an option since the two scripts work together, I hope there's a solution.

I appreciate your time.

37. tansir

tansir

@Partel-Lang Hey Partel,thanks for your reply,and I got another problems:

1.I found LimbIK component just has three bones to set,why? Is it enough for cat's paws to control ? for example, quadruped left hand,has upperArm_L -> Forearm_L -> Hand_L -> Fingers_L, four bones.

2.Also LimbIK,when I set it's target into LimbIK for front paw,and drag the target object, bone moves,but drag too much,it cause model twist,please see 1.png into the file attached.

3.I don't know how to conbime AimIK and LimbIK make them become a "special" IK for my cat model,like BipedIK that just used for humanroid.Is it possible make a "full body quadruped IK" for some non-humanroid?or is threre a plan to release new IK for quadruped?

4. I saw your PuppetMaster setup video on youtube,show "BipedRagdollCreator"can be used for dog, so I think is it possible use BipedIK for cat?

5.Can you make a demo about quadruped(non-humaroid) control,like drag hand , leg or something ? that would be great,I will appreciate,thanks. I really need a lighthouse.:)

BEST WISHES!!!

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  38. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Sorry for the delay.. I have not been able to reproduce it. I have tried replacing the idle animation in the controller with one that turns the character 360 degrees using root motion and all seems to work fine. Could you send me a repro or something? or at least that animation clip?

Hey,
    1. That is a limitation of the algorithm. It is a solver based on the Law of Cosines so basically it solves a triangle and there are only 3 points in that. But you can skip bones so you can choose the ones you need.

2. Try using a different Bend Modifier

3. No plan for a quadruped FBIK, but perhaps a generic FBIK solver, but that is not in the near future.

4. You can do that actually, check out this video.

5. Try using a FBBIK on your cat like in the video above. If that will not work, I can make you an example.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

tansir likes this.
  39. tansir

tansir

@Partel-Lang Great answers, partel,thanks!
    Bother you again.You mentioned I can use FBBIK for my non-humanroid model,I tried and found it seem no "Head" bone control(is this means I must use AimIK to make head "Look At"?),and I change FBBIK to BipedIK,and it has "Look At" in this componet,so I can use it make head look at the target,but I saw some light blue,green,navy bone points in scene view, what this means?
    I have no idea which one(FBBIK or BipedIK) is much better for non-humanroid, by the way,I will add ragdoll effect on my cat aftertime,So I need your wise advice,you know I think a cool example is better for me :D

other problem:
    1.To achive "mouse button down to drag hand to move naturelly and release mouse button hand go back original postion naturelly" feature which one is better:(1)set target to bone,and move target(2)bind physic joint to hand bone,like your "Hanging"demo in puppetmaster.

2.You know Clumsy Ninja, I think the company made a amazing control solution for humanroid,I think final ik and puppetmater can do,even on non-humanroid,so I need your help to give me a direction.

Thanks a lot!

40. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Hey @Partel-Lang,

We are currently using VRIK for our main character. Parts of our game slow down (e.g. change Time.timescale to 0.1), is there anyway to easily speed up the solver to negate this (i.e. we want the character to continue to move at the same speed during slow motion as at normal timescale)?

Cheers,
    Colton

41. ftejada

ftejada

Hi

I do not know if this has already been asked or if it has a solution.

I have a terrain with tessellation, using the asset "MegaSplat" for terrain textures.

The problem is that I need to be able to align my character's feet with the tessellation data, rather than with the data from the terrain mesh collider.
    Is there any way I can do this? Does your asset provide any characteristics to solve this problem?

I leave video showing the problem:

regards

42. fup

fup

Hi,

Is it possible to have elbow or forearm effectors using FBIK? I'm making a close combat fighting prototype. Here are a couple of things I want to do:

1) I have VRIK on the player's character. When attempting to hold fists up to guard the face like so:

upload_2017-4-5_11-53-16.png

the elbows are kept apart by the VRIK system. I'd like to be able to move them more toward the mid-line of the body. What's the best way of adjusting them?

2) I'd like the player to be able to parry a puppeted character's attack by shoving the attacking limb to one side. Like this:

upload_2017-4-5_11-55-54.png

I'm thinking the best way to do this is with a forearm/elbow effector that gets enabled and attached to the player's (in black in the pic) hand so that the character's arm is moved along with it. Do you feel this is the correct approach?

43. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey, If you PM your cat model I'll make a quick example for you.

1. if you have PuppetMaster, it will probably give you better results as you'll be able to use the joint limits and internal collisions.. Need to set up the cat as a puppet, release the arm from pinning and attach a joint to the paw to move it around like in the hanging demo.

2. Technically yes, but it would take a lot of tweaking and probably custom scripted controllers to get it work in a similar way.

Hey,
    Not supported, but you can make it happen if you use search to find all
    Code (CSharp):
    1. * Time.deltaTime
    in IKSolverVR scripts (IKSolverVRArm.cs, IKSolverVRLeg.cs, IKSolverVRSpine.cs, IKSolverVRLocomotion.cs, IKSolverVRFootstep.cs) and add
    Code (CSharp):
    1. / Time.timeScale
    to each result.

Hey,

Grounders use ray/capsule casting so there is no easy way to solve this. Does MegaSplat have a tool for getting the exact ground height at a given point?
    Perhaps then there would be a way to create box colliders for each foot and keep them dynamically underneath the feet at the correct height and rotation.

Hey,

1. Could be done with the Bend Goals or by adjusting Swivel Offset for the arms.

2. By puppeted did you mean it has been set up with PuppetMaster? if so, it would be easier to have the physics solve that problem. Is the player hitting or blocking? Or are they both human players in a networked game?

Best,
    Pärtel

44. fup

fup

Hi Partel, thanks for the speedy response.

One human player using VRIK. One enemy, which has PuppetMaster. The enemy is throwing a punch at the human using AimIK. I want to be able to permit the human to push the attacking arm aside in a convincing manner (this will be happening in slow motion)

45. jbooth

jbooth

Yes; you can pass the hit to a MegaSplat component which will return the new hit position. There's also an included component that does what you describe (puts a box under the object it's attached to), though on some other IK assets I've integrated with I just had them get the offset position and use it for the IK calculations instead.

ftejada likes this.
  46. tansir

tansir

Hey Patel,I have sent email to you,please check,look forward your reply,thanks.

Best,
    tansir

47. ftejada

ftejada

Hi !!
    Would it be possible to integrate Final IK with MegaSplat to solve this problem?

I think if you get in touch with @jbooth (MegaSplat), I would provide everything you need for integration. Maybe just a few more lines of code and can be solved with a small update.

regards

48. torano

torano

Hi! How can I fix this error? " VRIK can not guess the hand bone's orientation. Please assign 'Wrist To Palm Axis' and 'Palm To Thumb Axis' manually for both arms in VRIK settings."
    Should I make bones of thumbs of the 3d model?

49. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    First, your player needs to be a puppet too or at least have colliders with kinematic Rigidbodies or at least kinematic rigidbodies on the hands/forearms.

Second, the enemy can be pushed if it uses BehaviourPuppet. I am only starting to make VR demos for PuppetMaster, but I've found that for good results BehaviourPuppet at it's current state is not enough, it needs some help because it tends to be wobbly like a rubber doll or too snappy. But for now, try this script, add it to a puppet, then set pin weight to 0.5 for all the upper body muscles in PuppetMaster. It is a custom mapping/pin weight controller and will reduce the wobbliness significantly.

Hey,
    Can you try, if you go to GetCapsuleHit() and GetRaycastHit() in GroundingLeg.cs (lines 167 and 183) and pass those hits through MegaSplat before they are returned? Also in GetRootHit() of Grounding.cs (line 141).
    If it doesn't support capsule hits, try with the "Fastest" quality setting.

Hey,
    Will do asap...

Hey,
    No need to make bones, you can find those vectors under VRIK's arms and set them manually.
    Set "Wrist To Palm Axis" to be the local axis of the wrist bone that is pointing towards the palm. So if you select the wrist bone and see the red arrow point towards the palm, set "Wrist To Palm Axis" to (1, 0, 0). If the arrow points away from the palm, set it to (-1, 0, 0).

"Palm To Thumb Axis" is orthogonal to that, the local axis of the wrist bone that points towards the thumb.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

50. jbooth

jbooth

I don't actually own the package, but maybe @ftejada can? If that works, you could just wrap it in an #if __MEGASPLAT__ and include it in the package and we'd be integrated ;)

ftejada likes this.