Search Unity

FINAL IK - Full Body IK, Aim, Look At, FABRIK, CCD IK... [1.0 RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Partel-Lang, Jan 15, 2014.

1. SteveB

SteveB

Yea removing 'RootMotion' from your line (i.e. (GetComponent(FinalIK.LookAtIK) didn't work either, and I do have FinalIK in it's default installation location.

Either way, I know this is a compilation order error, but I was unsure what to move where.

In a dummy project with minimal risk, I futz'd around and ended up dragging RootMotion folder from it's default installation location into:

Code (csharp):
    1. /Assets/Standard Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/...<etc>
    ...got an editor error, so I moved every editor file that was located inside an /Editor folder under the /FinalIK folder into:

Code (csharp):
    1. /Assets/RootMotion/Editor/...<all editor files here>
    (Note: There are five /Editor folders in total, but the editor files need only be in a single /Editor folder)

...and now everything appears to work again and I can access FinalIK from within Javascript.

Either you found a way around all this or you too had to have moved folders and scripts around, no?

Thanks for taking the time Griffo

-Steven

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Griffo

Griffo

Hi,

This is how I have my files arranged, I have a Plugins folder where I moved the original RootMotion folder.

Then I made a RootMotion\FinalIK folder and added a Editor folder where I moved ALL the Inspector scripts, pic below, hope this helps.

$Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 19.03.09.png

$Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 19.03.37.png

3. SteveB

SteveB

Yup thought so Griffo...that's exactly what I did to get it to work. :D

Thanks bud

4. Griffo

Griffo

No problem ..

5. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Thanks a lot, Griffo, for helping out! Yup, thats the way it should be done :)

Or course I'm not done, just getting started.. I'm writing some Playmaker actions at the moment, it's taking some time I have to learn how that thing works first. :)
    I also want to give you the Interaction System to play around with and the Mecanim shooter scene I made the web player with. Then I got something I call the Amplifier that might be of some use..
    Besides that, there are of course a bunch of small fixes and improvements based on the feedback I've received..

Cheers,
    Pärtel

6. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

7. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

SOLD

8. SteveB

SteveB

Awesome work on getting your first Playmaker Actions Partel!

My only issues would be:

• Always have the Use Variable button available for any parameter; you did it twice in FBBIKEffector(Position Weight/Rotation Weight), but then you do not use it anywhere else, where simply entering a value may be quicker/more efficient than having to create a variable for each separately.
    • Semantics. FBBIKMapping implies it would be a broad use Action, but it appears to only deal with Rotations of the Hands/Feet/Spine/Head. I had to think about this for a moment to see the difference between Mapping and Effector...one deals with Bones, the other the FBBIK end effectors. It's minor no doubt but perhaps organizing like-elements together, or making the name of the Action more clear will help. That or a better tooltip...
    • ...speaking of which you should use ActionSections in your code, such as:
      Code (csharp):
      1. [ActionSection("Settings")]
      to delineate each 'section' of the Action. This way you could perhaps combine Actions that make more sense being together, but separate them by function/category within the Action itself. See the RayCast action as a good example.

I'll keep playing with it but this is a wonderful start!!

-Steven

9. SteveB

SteveB

OH!

...and you should put it in it's own Action Category, not in Animation IMHO:

Code (csharp):
    1. [ActionCategory("FinalIK")]
    :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  10. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Great! Thanks, Steve, for the feedback, I'll look them over ASAP :)

11. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I updated the package.

I enabled the Use Variable buttons and put the actions to Final IK category and added sliders to the float values.
    About the ActionSections, semantics and combining actions.. the FBBIK component is huge in terms of variables. What you see in the custom inspector of FBBIK is not by far all there is. For a Playmaker action though I would have to bring out almost every public variable just in case you'd ever need it, so you can imagine that action if you imagine a FBBIKSettings, FBBIKMapping, 4 FBBIKChains and 9FBBIKEffectors put together. Thats probably more then you'd ever want to scroll through even with ActionSections used. So thats why I kept the effectors and chains separate. The mapping actually is a very different thing from the effectors and I will add more mapping options in the next update so it won't be a stub like that in the future.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

12. Whippets

Whippets

Hey Partel :) Are we getting any closer to the InteractionIK? Eager to try it out, got a million uses for it thought up already XD

13. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Yes its practically canned, just need to make some demos and tutorials to show how it should be used, will save me a lot of explaining work.

14. SteveB

SteveB

Haha, hopefully you meant '...in the can', not 'canned'! :D

Whippets, we almost had another quote!

-Steven

15. Whippets

Whippets

SteveB hehe XD XD

Nice one Partel, Can't wait to get playing

16. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Haha, I guess I should consult with the Urban Dictionary more often :)

Anyway.. long time no video, so here you go:

17. SteveB

SteveB

So this is also fantastic, but if I may ask, what's holding you back from updating FinalIK with these additions (i.e. Interactions)?

They clearly work and work well as per your videos. :)

18. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I just need to make sure the interaction system works and I need to make it easier to set up. Otherwise this thread will get flooded with questions and error messages and that would just be a ton of frustration for everybody and further delay other cool features that I have on the roadmap.

So please be patient :)
    Pärtel

19. SteveB

SteveB

Haha I'd like to think I'm a fairly patient guy, so maybe I should ask more bluntly! :D

What is on the roadmap and what are the time-frames for features?

Are we to be patient for months? A year?

Haha thanks Partel!! :D

20. apomarinov1

apomarinov1

Hey, Partel, thank you for your work!
    I've been having a problem, that I think is related to the AimIK. I hope you could help me out.
    The problem is that I get this jittery movement. I use it with a bow and I position the solver in Update. That is all.
    I tried using aim.Disable() and the aim.solver.Update() when I need to update the solver, I tried calling it from Update/LateUpdate, but no use.

21. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, Apomarinov1,
    I need more information to answer that, perhaps you can dropbox me the bow stuff you are trying to make or a screenshot at least? Use PM or support@root-motion.com :)

@Steve
    Months? that would be just polishing the knob.. I'm talking days, perhaps a week for the next update. :)
    Whats on the roadmap, that is a good question..
    First of all the stuff I have promised - foot placement, better Playmaker support, improved documentation..

Besides that I have just kickstarted the development of an animation recording plugin. That will allow us to use Final IK to animate characters fully in Unity, and not just animate, also edit any existing animation, even combine animations together and save the result as a new animation clip. Ever bought an animation from wherever and had to hunt down the author and pay him to make minor changes or had to pay Mixamo for every small adjustment? That won't be necessary anymore in the future. You could also use Mecanim retargeting for a humanoid and record the animation clips to use in Legacy, you could combine a walk loop with a swing axe animation to make a swing axe while walking animation.. you could use FBBIK combined with AimIK to convert a walk loop to a walk with gun loop, or you could use the Amplifier and the EffectorOffset to make a zombie walk of it instead.. You could record ragdoll physics as a base for death anims and tweak it with IK... So you see, I cant stop with the ideas.. :D

What I have no idea about though is when it all can be finished. :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

22. ZJP

ZJP

O M G :eek:

23. SteveB

SteveB

Beautiful Partel! That's all I was asking for...

...you've been so good communicating with us and getting us excited about Final>IK before the beta, so don't change the pattern now! :D

Cheers man

-Steven

24. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Super cool package and the planned features are totally awesome.

25. msl_manni

msl_manni

Looking at the videos, I will certainly buy FinalIK.

We should be able to save Animations in FBX or DAE format. Tell me this, So I can decide to buy FinalIK sooner. :p

26. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Don't decide on that, its just a roadmap..
    But by the way you can save your animations in DAE even now (at least the Legacy ones), if you get the Collada Exporter from the Asset Store. I have done some initial testing with animation recording, it is quite easy to save to .anim, but that won't be usable with Mecanim, so FBX/DAE export is indeed essential. Probably DAE, since it is an open format.

27. Licarell

Licarell

Partel, I am only asking because I have ideas about what I would like to do in parts of my game but since I have just recently bought FinalIK I really have no idea how to implement it...

Say you had a humanoid character that is taking damage and the more damage he is taking the more of a ragdoll he becomes where his animation becomes more sloppy, would I use FinalIK for that? I'm starting to use playmaker and I can see how I could use playmaker to transition my character to that and I can kinda see how I could use FinalIK to modify animations in realtime.

Also to add to that could I use FinalIK to modify certain body parts or hair or gear to be ragdoll or slightly ragdoll?

As Frodo said, "I will carry the ring... but I do not know where to go..."

Thanks

28. Whippets

Whippets

Partel, this is all sounding great. Top news. Long evenings polishing the knob there XD

You seem to have single-handedly rewritten the rulebook on animation. Keep up the great work!

*cough*Interaction-IK*cough*

29. SteveB

SteveB

Where do you think Partel came up with the idea for 'Interaction IK' Whip? :D

30. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Wow the potential for this plugin truly is outstanding I pray you can get all that in. That's awesome.

31. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, Licarell, :)

Ragdoll physics is not what FinalIK does, you can simulate sloppiness and "ragdolliness" a bit though with the Inertia.

@everyone else, sorry for the delay with the next update, I found some issues with the Interaction System that I needed to take care of...

Cheers,
    Pärtel

32. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

This looks like quite a powerful and efficient system, I can tell and I'm only just a beginner.

If you're making a game that requires the player character and NPCs to grab other objects in the scene to use as weapons and also allow in-game characters to grapple each other, would Final IK have all the functionality to make that happen? From what I've seen so far it seems to

33. strich

strich

Hey Partel - This looks really good. I'm surprised how much you've made capable in this package. I've always thought this kind of thing was limited to expensive third party software like Natural Motion. Though I guess they still have the AI sub-system advantage. Do you think you will look into providing any in-built intelligence into your animation package? Or will you stay focused on just providing the tools?

I'm the Lead Programmer for War for the Overworld and I'd like to put a little of my time into prototyping some medieval-style melee combat mechanics (Sword and shield, etc) with this tool. I'd like to see if we can build something unique. I lack animation skills and our artists are currently too busy to assist. If any technical animators are interested in collaborating together please PM me. Whatever we make will be open and freely released.
    (To be clear this isn't paid work and its not for our current game in progress - Just some fun collaboration!)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  34. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Hmm, I totally didn't know that free and open release cost $22 - $35. Nice self promo there, but please remove from this forum.

35. strich

strich

Wait. This has nothing to do with our product. Just put that there to show I was serious and not some random script kiddy. I'd like to create a prototype for some new game ideas I have, but don't have the animators to work on it with. What meant was that anything we build together will be open source and usable by anyone.

(I'm removing the link to our site now, because I didn't mean to 'plug' our game. Sorry).

36. SteveB

SteveB

Hehe you know, your post was fairly innocuous Strich (why isn't your name capitalized..hasty much?), and I got what you meant...

...ironic too VicToMeyeZR, that you're suggesting Strich remove his post when your signature has an ad for webhosting.

Hmmmm...and before you dispute this formidable logic, keep in mind that regardless of how you frame it, you can argue that if his post is promoting/selling something, so is every single one of your posts in any thread. :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  37. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello. I’ve updated the foot-placement scripts with a monobehaviour version which works on Legacy animation system with FinaliK.
    Not as great as Rune’s locomotion system, but will do the trick... Cheers :)

38. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, yes, grabbing stuff from the scene will be very easy with the upcoming interaction system. Grappling each other is also possible, but its more on the advanced side of using Final IK.

I have no plans for any AI related stuff, so I'll probably keep focused on animation tech.. :) War for the Overworld looks awesome, I hope you'll find some collaborators to make it happen, there are probably more of them in the collaboration forum though ;)

Great job, Bruno! We finally have foot placement for Legacy :D

39. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Just a concept to illustrate what I've said about creating animations in Unity :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

40. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@VicToMeyeZR

Would you be willing to remove your "Webhosting as low as $4.38/month."
    It makes you look bad.

41. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello Partel Lang, I've been watching your youtube video FINAL IK - Full Body Biped IK: Procedural Body Tilt 3PS

You said "NB: This demo will not be included with Final IK beta, expect it in the full release." when do you think the full release will be? and is that demo using mecanim?

Regards
    Mohoe

42. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, MoHoe,
    I dont have any ETA for the full release, but there will be a couple of beta updates first, maybe it will even make it to one of them. Sorry, I have a very long list of things I want to add. :)

Pärtel

43. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi all, I'm just uploading the beta 0.2 submission, hope it gets reviewed before the weekend ;)

Here's the change log.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

44. SteveB

SteveB

...so no Interaction IK and the various other demo's you showed us? :D

-Steven

45. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

The Interaction System and the Amplifier and the Mecanim 3rd person shooter are all included

46. SteveB

SteveB

Oh! Well those are important enough to mention in the ChangeLog no?! :D

Awesome thanks Partel

-Steven

EDIT: Oh okay I glossed over it and didn't see the 'interaction system' at the bottom. My bad!! :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  47. ZJP

ZJP

Incredible!. Beta 0.2 !!!!. I can't imagine what it will be possible to do with the final version. :eek:
    Very happy customer here. :D

48. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey, Im really glad you like it :)

Anyway, here is the first tutorial for the Interaction System so you can see how the workflow will look like ;)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

49. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hey no worries Partel, I'm just being a lazy ass.. I've spent the last 7 - 8 months learning modelling, textures and animation and now I've come back to mecanim and scripting and I've lost my way, I'm struggling to get back into the swing of it. starting to get warmed up :)

Thanks for this great Asset Partel, keep up the great work :)

Regards
    MoHoe

50. SteveB

SteveB

Wow I completely didn't expect 'Interaction IK' to be so robust! :D

Very cool Partel

-Steven