Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Feature Request] Will Unity 2017 support another diff tool called TortoiseGitMerge

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by asperatology, Jul 22, 2017.

1. asperatology

asperatology

Currently, the release edition shows it supports TortoiseMerge. However, it doesn't... seem like it works with TortoiseGit.

I believed this is the official TortoiseGitMerge homepage, despite that it is part of the TortoiseGit section.

So, there was another alternative called TortoiseGitMerge, which is practically the same as TortoiseMerge, but it is built to work with TortoiseGit.

I am wondering if there will be support to allow Unity 2017 to use TortoiseGitMerge, given the similarities?

(Also, I don't know how to obtain TortoiseMerge. If anyone knows how to do so, please let me know. Thanks.)

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @asperatology! I'm having a little trouble following your first statement. Which "release edition" are you referring to, Unity or TortoiseGitMerge?

We don't presently have any plans to add more diff tool support but we can take a look at this tool and see if it's worth adding. If enough users show an interest in this tool then we can reprioritize it on our road map. :)

3. asperatology

asperatology

I know this is an old thread of mine, but I am still waiting on TortoiseGitMerge diff tool to be supported in Unity.

First things first,

This quote means, currently as of writing of that moment in the past, Unity 2017.1 (not Unity 2019.1) mentioned it "technically" supports TortoiseMerge as a diff tool. But the supported diff tool, TortoiseMerge, does not support TortoiseGit, a versioning control system of Git for Windows.

(I later on found out there were some technical issues with TortoiseMerge, and how Unity is no longer recommending TortoiseMerge despite it being labeled in the description of the External Tools settings menu, and so forth...)

Back then, I was actually mixing up between TortoiseMerge, and TortoiseGitMerge, but now I think I have some knowledge. I could still be wrong about them. Both of them are diff tools, but TortoiseMerge is for SVN, and TortoiseGitMerge is for Git. I'm assuming that Unity only supports centralized versioning source control management, like Perforce and Plastic SCM, both of which are recommended for source control management and have Unity integration, and thus Unity doesn't have many plans to integrate more diff tools into Unity, unless enough demand is there, right?

So yeah, ... looks like, after 2 years, TortoiseGitMerge isn't on the roadmap. If you have any updates, let me know.