Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FBX Mesh Importer At Runtime

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by carlossarria00, Feb 26, 2014.

?

Why do you need an fbx importer at runtime if you can use unity editor or simply use AssetBundles?

1. Customize models at runtime

28.3%
  2. Exchange models on fly

45.1%
  3. Visualize

14.4%
  4. It's better than have to recompile the project

11.4%
  5. I don't need it

0.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeBold

LeeBold

Hi

Some FBX files like ours do not use UVIndices, but just the UV coordinates,, the way to check that is in Your code is with LayerElementUV bellow a property called ReferenceInformationType: "IndexToDirect"
    i believe.

LayerElementUV: 0 {
    Version: 101
    Name: "UVW"
    MappingInformationType: "ByPolygonVertex"
    ReferenceInformationType: "IndexToDirect"
    UV: *768 {

How do we send large files to You Carlos?

2. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

3. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hello Unity Community

Upgrading to Unity 5 and two aditional options

Ojects per frame: how many objects will be created before a frame (16.667 at 60fp) occurs. In Main Thread we can load files without "pausing" the game but it takes longer

Maximum Threads: the number of async process that the machine can run at the same time. It depends on the proessor cores.

Some errors with FBX SDK 2010 (as Blender exports) have been corrected

UniFBXImporter_Thread_Options.jpg

4. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Great news, looking forward to the patch.

Marko

5. RegisB

RegisB

Hi,
    Could you confirm if it is possible or not to load a skeleton animation at runtime ?
    My objective being to load/change/add an animation on some already compiled skinnedMesh.
    Thank you.

6. alphakanal

alphakanal

Hi,
    very interesting asset. Just tried the Demo and tested some own FBX but the loading times are horrible. The FBX-Filesize is about 20MB because of the ASCII format and loading times up to 10 Minutes.
    Is there a newer faster Version ??

7. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi RBV.

No, skinnedmesh renderer is not supported yet. Bones are imported as null objects ort empty game objects wih theirs respective TRS animations if apply.

8. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi people (Upgrading to Unity 5)

Now, we can import fbx models with an standard material depending on material channels (texture maps):
    Normalmap
    Heightmap
    Occlusionmap (AO)
    Detailmask

002_u5_unifbx_mtl_standard.jpg

003_u5_unifbx_scenes.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  9. Aryan_Behzadi

Aryan_Behzadi

Hi
    Thanks For Your API This is Work really good and useful
    but i have a problem
    i get export from a 3D model with texture and upload that to URL and also upload textures as your document
    But the API imports my model Without texture . how can i fix that

10. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi Aryan_Behzadi

Yes, Some models don't have "Layered Textures". That's why you can't see textures. But, fortunately I prepare an upgrade correcting those problems and some other, also models will load faster. Wait for it!!!

11. Aryan_Behzadi

Aryan_Behzadi

ok thanks
    but another question
    how to create a model with "Layered Texture" Or how to Export a model With Layered Texture to sow the texture in runtime?

12. G33RT

G33RT

Carlos,

I have a very simple question: how large can de fbx file be to be usable by this component? Or more specifically: what is the largest fbx file you have successfully imported?

Geert

carlossarria00 likes this.
  13. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Layered Texture is generated when you use a material for two or more mesh model. But you don't to worry anymore in the upgrade. Or send me a mail for send you partially this correction until entire upgrade be updated

14. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hello Geert

You must to know people have written me about this saying that a file of 20MB for example take too long. Fortunately, in the upgrade I prepare I've got succesfully reduce the loading time. A file of 20MB for expample, depending of hierarchy and other issues takes about 2 - 6 seconds with textures (no animations yet).
    Remember that unity can load upto 64K vertices, when you try to load in editor (from unity importer), unity split the mesh in two parts but this features is not contemplated by this component. The upgrade I prepare really has several improves.

15. 2Dto3D

2Dto3D

Was looking to purchase this, but need it for Unity 5. Any approximate timeline on when the upgrade will be released? Thanks!

16. Nicolas_id3c

Nicolas_id3c

Hi Carlos,
    I am interested on your plugin, but before buying it, I wanted to test it.
    I downloaded the demo and tested it, and unfortunately, the demo can't load my fbx file, even after I put it in "UniFBX - Demos/Windows/Resources/", because I get the error : "FBX SDK binary format is not supported".
    Can we have a free demo version with basics functionalities in a unitypackage, only to test the mesh generation when we import a FBX ?

Can we use your plugin in a script editor ?

Do you have a mail where we can join you ?

17. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi Nicolas

NO, the UniFBX asset doesn't support binary format. You can try ir exporting your models in ASCCI format.

18. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  19. Nicolas_id3c

Nicolas_id3c

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your answer.
    Unfortunately, I can't change the format of my fbx models because I get them from online fbx stores or external people. Moreover, the final user needs an easy solution to import any fbx models without any knowledge about graphics work, so I can't ask him to only take FBX in ASCII format.

20. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hello People:

Here I leave a little Demo about UniFBX updated for unity 5. Try it as usual (if you have tested the previous ones) and let me know your experiences.

Remember:
    • Only ASCCII format is accepted for this release
    • Triangulated or quad meshes are supported (not NGons or irregular meshes)
    • Texture files with format jpg, png (for transparent if apply).
    In the Demo you can set the import entries so you can previsualize the results at runtime. At the same time the file comes with some fbx files as examples in the "models" folder (models/tex/ for texture files)

UniFBX-Demo (Unity 5).jpg

Demo
    UniFBX-Standalone-Win (Updated for Unity 5)
    PD:
    The main scene contains a fly camera. So you can move around the scene like in the unity editor.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  21. Naphier

Naphier

I'm working on an interactive web app that I plan to make available to 3D artists to display some interactivity of their models. This is basically planned to just explode the models with physics and an explosion effect as well as have the ability to click on parts to show the model in a exploded perspective view. At the moment there's no good way to load models on the fly so I need to modify this app for every client. Your solution would help me tremendously as I could offer a basic package and only need to do installation.
    So, best wishes and I can't wait to see this working!

22. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Thanks for your comment Naphier. Here some of asset can do.

23. longroads

longroads

Hi Carlos,

I have set up a web server and put the forest.fbx,folder tex and Material (which are in yoru tutorial) to the server. It works fine in unity editor, but we I try to build it to webgl and windows, it always give me a purple full screen after loading, but the loading status is "Success". When I tried it in your windows demo "UniFBX-Standalone-Win (Updated for Unity 5)", It works fine again. Is there anything I need to do when build it to webgl and windows platform?

Another question is that when a fbx which already contains textures and materials, can unifbx import it directly? We don't need to give the textures and models folder. Just like when putting a fbx file to unity editor, the material and texture folder can generate by unity editor itself.

The images shows as:
    in editor:
    success_in_editor.jpg
    in your demo:
    success_in_demo.jpg
    in windows build:
    failed_in_window_build.jpg
    in webgl:
    failed_in_webgl_build.jpg

Best Regards!!

24. HakJak

HakJak

Realtime FBX import may be useful for users to be able to import their own creations into an in-game level editor.

25. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi @longroads

When you build a project take always in account to include shaders that are going to be used in "Graphics Settings" as shown above

GraphicsSettings.png

For more information clic here

Yes, UniFBX can import materials and textures directly. But you must to copy all textures from models in a path ../models/tex/

26. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi People:

UniFBX (2) Release 2
    Here

unifbx_2.png

27. Aryan_Behzadi

Aryan_Behzadi

Hi
    One time I Purchased the first version of that
    and i have problems with the Textures (layer texture if you remember)
    in my app we have the online users and also i want to know its possible to users upload their model with the textures (With the standards you supported) and i\ll be import them into the program with texture and animations with out problems ??

28. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi @Aryan_Behzadi

Yes, you can but I'd like you update the "lib" folder for the attached one here, there is a a correction for layered textures

Attached Files:

• Lib.zip
      File size:
      408.1 KB
      Views:
  29. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi People:

Link: UniFBX (2)

This library works with 2D/3D models imported from FBX SDK 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.

2. ASCII importation from 3D Editors like Maya, 3DMax, Cinema4D.

3. Setting folder or URL containing FBX files

4. Setting folder or URL containing JPG and/or PNG format for textures

5. Main thread or async load mode implemented

6. Meshes importation with global scaling, normals, tangents and collider type, selectables

7. Materials and textures importation

8. Standard or Legacy Material

9. Lights, cameras and TRS animation importation

10. Web player (Depreciated), Standalone (Linux, Win and Mac), Android, iOS, WebGL supported. Unity Personal and Pro editions

11. Faster than previous UniFBX 1.0

12. Complete C# source code. No DLLs

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  30. virror

virror

You state on the asset store that pro is required for asset bundles, is that really true? Isn't that included in personal edition?

31. longroads

longroads

It works after loading shaders. Thanks!

And I noticed that unifbx 2 was released just three days after I have bought unifbx 1. I don't know why not upgrad but can I use the new version? Seems the new version is faster than previous one. :) Please send the new version to longroads@163.com if possible.
    Thanks again!

32. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Alright!

33. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi Virror

As far as I know Pro Edition is required for Unity 4 and Unity 5. You can create asset bundles with a simple scripts but always Unity Editor is needed.

34. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Carlos, I've purchased version 1 of UniFBX. I would also buy the new version of your Asset. But I need to load DDS textures for my models. It is possible to add this feature to UniFBX?

Marko

35. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi Bartolomeus755

Yes, I'm about to update UniFBX (2) with those two features:

1. Load Embedded Textures: it is not necesary to save jpg and/or png files in a folder (normally in ../../models/tex/) required for some users

2. DDS files are DXT1 and DXT5 formats for unity.

As I have to submit the package to asset store as a draft to update we can load after. It takes from 5 to 10 days (Unity time).

36. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Great news, will there be a new demo with the new features? I would like to test it the one of my models.

37. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  38. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Carlos, I tried the to import one of my Sub models with the Windows Demo. And I run into some trouble. Here is the result after the import.

I can import the model without any issues in Unity and with the aiImporter for Unity. But I would prefer your UniFBX for importing FBX files to Unity.

Marko

39. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

40. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi people:

unifbx_2.JPG

Here is two additional features for UniFBX (2) (not available yet as update)

1. Embedded Textures loading: it is not necesary to save jpg and/or png files in a folder (normally in ../../models/tex/) required for some users

2. DDS format files loading: they are DXT1 and DXT5 formats for unity.

Demo (Win): UniFBX (2) - (Win)

Demo (Mac): UniFBX (2) - (Mac)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  41. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Carlos, I tried the new demo, but I still have the problem mentioned above. :(

42. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi Bartolomeus755

Try to export the .dds suitable for your models. Try to do it with jpg format or png format textures to know if the application bugs

43. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Carlos, I changed the textures to png. Now, the textures are loaded. Only the position of the model is still bugged.

44. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Bartolomeus755

Remember that a good model should have its pivot in the geometrical center of the mesh or at least inside its geometrical boundary. If you are using 3D Max for example center the pivot of each mesh. Remember too put the normals looking outside.

45. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

The pivots and other settings of the model are all correct. I tried to import with two other importer and it works fine also with Unity itself. I use this model also for other projects without export issues.

46. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Is it possible that you send your file with dds embedded or not textures?

47. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Carlos, can you send me your mail. Then I can send you the download link for the sub model.

48. kityanlam3

kityanlam3

Hi Carlos, I'm interested in purchasing your importer but I have a few questions I want to confirm. Does it work for Unity 5 webplayer games and which UniFBX do I get, I see that there are 2 of them on the assetstore. Lastly, do I need pro version of Unity or will personal work?

49. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

csarria00@gmail.com

50. carlossarria00

carlossarria00

Hi kityanlam3

UniFBX (2) is faster than UniFBX. It works for Personal and Pro editions and for WebGL and WebPlayer platforms BUT you should know that webplayer is goint to be deprecated for new releases of unity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.