Search Unity

FBX files always INFRONT

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by avinsinanan, Apr 16, 2017.

1. avinsinanan

avinsinanan

Hi,

Whenever I drag an fBX animation into a scene its always infront of everything.. even the UI layer. No matter how I play with the layer settings it never ever goes behind. Its like FBX files play with their own rules when it comes to layers... any suggestions?

Thanks

2. UziMonkey

UziMonkey

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Models shouldn't be rendering on top of the UI unless the UI is a world space UI. Can you post screenshots of this maybe?

3. avinsinanan

avinsinanan

Hi UziMonkey,
    Before I post pics and stuff I did have the canvas set on Render Mode as World Space .. it was the only way I could make my UI and animations not move about to much when the screen sizes changed.. I am making a simple quiz game... I have no idea what are the advanatges and disadvantages of world space.. I just did trial and error until this world space settings "cured" the arrangement of my UI and amimations :D..

Is there any problem using the world space mode and if I keep it in that mode will I ever get to order the FBX the way I want it? Let me know if the images are still needed :D

thanks man.

4. avinsinanan

avinsinanan

Hi UziMonkey,
    Before I post pics and stuff I did have the canvas set on Render Mode as World Space .. it was the only way I could make my UI and animations not move about to much when the screen sizes changed.. I am making a simple quiz game... I have no idea what are the advanatges and disadvantages of world space.. I just did trial and error until this world space settings "cured" the arrangement of my UI and amimations :D..

Is there any problem using the world space mode and if I keep it in that mode will I ever get to order the FBX the way I want it? Let me know if the images are still needed :D

thanks man.

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

I recommend you read the manual's section on Camera RenderMode. The short version, though:
    • Overlay - UI elements rendered in relation to the screen. Best for HUD elements and menus
    • Camera - Similar to Overlay, except elements can be moved in relation to the camera (not the screen), so you can get more complex movement effects.
    • World - Elements exist inside the world space and interact with other objects. If something is closer to the camera than your UI element, it will be rendered on top.
    If using Overlay was unable to get you the results you wanted, I'd wager you just don't yet understand the UI system. Go through the tutorials and learn again. Trust me, Overlay is what you want to be using for your use case.