Search Unity

Fatal error! case sensitive file system

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by viebone, Dec 26, 2011.

1. viebone

viebone

Hello there!

is there a way to work with Unity3d on Mac OS X 10.6.8

I can open it but i am not able to save a new project, it crash an says:

"Fatal Error!

The project is on case sensitive file system.
    Case sensitive file systems are not supported at the moment.
    Please move the project folder to a case insensitive file system.
    "

How can i solve this problem???

Thanks you very much

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Well, as the error says, don't use a case-sensitive file system. Using one isn't standard; you would have had to have specifically formatted using one, which isn't really a good idea for general Mac usage, since Unity isn't the only app which doesn't support case-sensitive file systems.

--Eric

3. viebone

viebone

I can't believe it!!! Such a big problem.

I think that it will be better if at the moment of the install process the system alert you with it is not possible to run it in a case sensitive file system.

Thanks any way

mqraiden likes this.
  4. israel.faria

israel.faria

Hi, I'd like to point out that this shouldn't be a good reason to shut down the application completely. I've been working with case sensitive HFS file-system for years now and now is only the second time i hit this type of problem (the other one being with Dreamweaver CS4).

Being a developer I have reasons to want a case sensitive system since many developing tools (git, svn) do not work well with case insensitive systems.

The problem with Adobe is only about a hundred paths they have hardcoded into their codebase that point to file with incorrect cases. Some have gone the trouble to identify, install into a case insensitive system and then rename all the way to make it work on a case sensitive one. Adobe has been neglecting this patch for years now.

Before I dig into why Unity doesnt support case sensitive let me ask: Why?

5. Bohdan

Bohdan

There is really simple solution:

Open "Disk utility" application, Press "New Image" and select options:

$Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 1.51.11 PM.png

then press "Create" button.

Then reinstall Unity on CI-HDD hard drive. That's all.

n3techssi and maliyawa like this.
  6. francisl

francisl

I have 1 hard drive, partition in 2
    One is case insensitive, the other one is case sensitive.

When I install unity on the first one (case insensitive) I do have this error.

Is there a work around?

7. RynoTronic

RynoTronic

It says my install volume is 2 small will i need 2 put mo gigs in the drive?

8. IndieForger

IndieForger

Unity guys.... Seriously?!
    I just reinstalled Unity3d. This is the first error of that kind I got since I have been using mac. Why is it such a problem to make it work for both? Could we perhaps vote on it to be resolved?

DamjanT, Deleted User and mqraiden like this.
  9. Nabren

Nabren

Well I think it doesn't because you can install Unity on a case sensitive file system and open a project on another file system that is not case sensitive.

10. IndieForger

IndieForger

I don't understand why it is the problem but ended up creating separate partition for Unity3d projects and moved all my files there to make it work. I personally hate doing it because now Unity projects live outside of my user Workspace folder located on the main partition. This is very unusual and I think it is something that really needs addressing please.

11. IndieForger

IndieForger

Good point @Nabren. I didn't think of that.

12. Nabren

Nabren

Also been a long time since I tried but I think that Resources.Load is not case sensitive, so if Unity allowed case sensitive file systems for projects it might create collisions.

So without breaking existing functionality (making Resources.Load case sensitive) they can't remove this restriction otherwise there would be no way to know which file you actually meant if you didn't match exact case.

13. Akirachi

Akirachi

The project is on case sensitive file system.
    Case sensitive file systems are not supported at the moment.
    Please move the project folder to a case insensitive file system.

14. zeriph

zeriph

So it's 2017, OSX has had case sensitive file systems since before Unity was even considered, and Linux/Unix have had case sensitive file systems since before the people who made Unity were even a twinkle in their parents eyes, yet the answer to a problem that should not exist is to format my entire drive and switch to a case insensitive file system???? How on this blue marble does Visual Studio Code or Xamarin Studio or XCode do it?? I cross-platform develop all of the time, and here's what happens if I have a project on a case sensitive file system that's being read from case insensitive file system: the file is able to be read and opened. The ONLY problem that can arise is if you have 2 files named the same, with the only difference being the case, in this instance, the platform that is reading the folder in a case insensitive manner will only see 1 file (instead of 2). That's no where near big enough a problem (and something easily rectifiable) to warrant causing me to NOT be able to use the Unity IDE at all! .... "Move the project to a case insensitive file system" is just another way of saying "I'm a ridiculously lazy developer" ESPECAILLY if you're claiming "cross-platform" .. Glad I didn't pay for Unity and instead use Qt, Visual Studio, Xamarin, or any other tool that's not only FREE, but WORKS on ALL platforms and has NO restrictions ...

15. chapados

chapados

This is super annoying... After the initial rage wore off, I came up with a workaround outlined below in case others might find it useful:

In our repos, all of the Unity code is under one top-level folder and we use git for version control. For example:

Code (CSharp):
    2. ├── my_repo
    3. │   ├── unity
    4. │   │   ├── my_project

Code (CSharp):
    2. cd my_repo
    3. hdiutil create -size 20g -type SPARSEBUNDLE -fs 'Journaled HFS+' -volname unity ../my_repo-unity.dmg.sparsebundle
    4. # make sure all code is committed
    5. rm -rf unity
    6. sudo hdiutil attach -notremovable -nobrowse -mountpoint ./unity ../my_repo-unity.dmg.sparsebundle
    7. # checkout unity into mount image
    8. git checkout unity
    At this point you can develop, build & run as normal. git will track your changes without any problems. Since the version history is stored outside of the sparse image, it mitigates any risk of corruption. Just make sure you commit frequently, which is a good practice anyway. There's probably a way to auto-mount the dmg, since it the mount point won't survive a reboot. However, it's easy enough to have a script that just checks for the image, creates and/or mounts if necessary.

WingTangWong and Alex0072005 like this.
  16. ErikH2000

ErikH2000

I have been using pCloud which mounts as a device on Mac and handles backups and syncing. Its device mounts as a case-sensitive filesystem. Yes, I can move all the Unity project files to a different drive that is case-insensitive, but... that is throwing away my whole backup/sync strategy. A lot of inconvenience because Unity isn't handling a modern filesystem convention. Bleh.

17. hasbegun

hasbegun

Try to learn Unity, but hugely disappointed by this "case sensitive error" Hope this issue gets address asap. All my systems are case sensitive!

18. SheldonR

SheldonR

Following up on Bohdan's suggested solution, I found my way to their solution with an easier step. Instead of partitioning the drive, just create a drive image that is case insensitive. (On create an Automator workflow or AppleScript that auto opens/expands the drive image whenever Unity is launched.)
    All one needs is for the Unity projects to be saved on a 'case insensitive' drive. If external is not (desired) option, then the virtual drive -- ah ha, see what I did there?, is nice alternative approach.

19. Scatabrain

Scatabrain

I gotta say this is crazy to have as a problem. I create projects on my case sensitive drive and they work great. There is absolutely no reason I can think of to not just have the default be case sensitive. I have lots of bad words floating around my head about this right now. None of the above workarounds seems to be working for me on Catalina. I am trying to open some sample projects from Unity and alas I have to have tech issues instead of creating content. Very disappointing.

ClickJohn likes this.
  20. n3techssi

n3techssi

This is perfect!

21. radiantboy

radiantboy

just got this on windows, from a project that used to work, I dont even know what a case insenstivie file system is so I didnt set that. any ideas?

22. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What filesystem are you using? Are you using network storage?

NTFS is normally case insensitive, but it is possible with recent Windows versions to enable case sensitive mode on a per directory basis. Did you happen to do that?

Per-directory case sensitivity and WSL | Windows Command Line (microsoft.com)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  23. WingTangWong

WingTangWong

Nice. This provided a nice lightweight means to avoid creating new partitions/etc.

24. Mafutta

Mafutta

I also had an error in Windows when using an external SSD drive. I reformatted the external drive to NTFS.

25. MatrixNew

MatrixNew

Do everything as in the screenshot and you will be happy!