Search Unity

Fake light reflection for polished concrete floor

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Krapht, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Krapht

Krapht

I'm not sure what terminology to use so sorry if this is a bit confusing

I'm trying to replicate a warehouse with a 20,000 square foot polished concrete floor. I need the floor to look as if it is reflecting many lights that would in real life be used to light the warehouse. The only way I can figure out how to achieve this look is using real time point lights (baked lights seem to ignore normal maps). Is there a way to get this look in a shader that way I don't need to attempt to use several hundred real time lights all set to important?

Polished Concrete light refelection.jpg

attached image is from a Walmart store that is very similar to what I want to replicate.

I've no experience in programming for shaders so if there is anything I can buy from the asset store that would be much appreciated

2. Teravisor

Teravisor

Isn't this enough? There are plenty of tutorials on how to set it up for different uses, including what you want.

3. Mauri

Mauri

Screen Space Reflections, maybe?

4. Krapht

Krapht

Can you link one of those tutorials to me? So far I can't find anything for faking highlights from lights. With the Standard Shader I can only figure out how to get the desired look by having hundreds of real time lights all running as important.

5. Teravisor

Teravisor

If using full reflections with probe there's example I found within 1 minute of searching:

(it contains a lot of different things, what you want begins somewhere around 7:00 and first results from GI reflections are around 8:00)

If you need more performance at cost of quality, then look at what Mauri said, screen-space reflections. Googling for "Unity screen space reflections" gave me several links for free SSR scripts, most of which do work. Just slap it onto camera and set up what it requires.

UnityLighting likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Screen space reflections will never work if you can only see the floor. Obviously, what you want are box projected reflection probes.

UnityLighting likes this.