Search Unity

EYE ADVANCED - Realistic Eye Shader

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Feb 21, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.5 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download
    (Also now available for download from the Asset Store here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/30762)

This is a small update to address a rendering issue with shadwos that were occurring in some instances. Specifically there was a problem where the eyes would not cast shadows properly, not accept cast shadows onto them. This is now fixed. I've also done a small amount of cleanup in the eye shader code to remove some unnecessary calculations.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

------------------------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.5
    - Fixed shader error causing intermittent loss of shadows.
    - Removed some unnecessary shader assignments.

2. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.6 is now ready for download...

This is a small update that adds an additional reflection calculation to the shader/material. This can be used in conjunction with Unity reflection probes to add more or less reflection to the eye objects. I recommend keeping this setting on the low end, but this now gives you the option to customize to your liking. In addition I have included 2 new Iris texture options, a cartoon/anime iris(#13) and a blinded iris(#14).

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.6
    - Added 'Reflection Term' attribute to shader to customize the scene reflection contribution.
    - Added New Iris Texture #13 "Cartoon look".
    - Added New Iris Texture #14 "blind eye".

mkgm, Bagnol and DigitalAdam like this.
  3. chingwa

chingwa

Whippets likes this.
  4. go1dfish

go1dfish

Is VR supported?

Specifically Single-Pass Stereo and changes to renderViewportScale at runtime?

5. chingwa

chingwa

@go1dfish I don't have direct experience with Stereo rendering in VR, but from what I gather most normal Unity shaders should not be affected by Stereoscopic rendering... Special consideration should be needed for image effects or screenspace blit, but EyeAdvanced is neither of those. It is a normal unity gameObject (eye model) with a customized shader based on Unity Standard rendering.

So to answer your question if it's compatible... probably. But I'm not 100% sure.

go1dfish likes this.
  6. go1dfish

go1dfish

Excellent I figured this was the case and that's my understanding of things as well. I'll probably be picking it up at some point, but not quite ready for it yet. Looks great though, and I'm a big fan of your VFX in general.

chingwa likes this.
  7. go1dfish

go1dfish

Well I ended up getting ready for this a lot sooner than I was expecting =D

If you can provide integration with the Morph3D characters (free to download now) you have a sale as soon as it's available. Otherwise I'll likely hold off in the hopes that it will get easier later.

SALSA/RandomEyes has updated their one-click MCS support for the 1.6 update and if you get it working it would also make for a nice demo of the asset.

8. chingwa

chingwa

Setup for Morph3D and most other character systems should be pretty straight forward. All you need to do is delete the current character eyes and replace them with EyeAdvanced objects, parenting them to the "eye" bones in most cases.

I'll take a look at Morph3D integration for a future update, but in general setup is easy should not be seen as an obstacle if you really need them.

go1dfish likes this.
  9. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.7 is now ready for download...

This update includes a number of bug fixes, as well as adds the ability to adjust shading around theedges of the eye (iris and sclera) in order to improve the viual integration between the eye and character. This is done by the inclusion of shader mask texture files and can be adjusted on the shader from 0.0 (default) which is no shading, and 1.0 which is full dark shading.

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.7
    - Added Separate "Shade" textures masks for sclera and iris.
    - Added shader function to darken "shade" areas for better visual integration with characters.
    - Sclera and Iris shading can be adjusted individually adjusted.
    - Fixed a problem with Iris normal rendering on the LOD0 and LOD2 objects.
    - renamed 'iris texture' attribute to be 'iris mask' for better clarity.
    - Iris texture is now clamped correclty, preventing edge artifacts in some fringe cases.
    - Reflection term is now adjusted based on red channel of the iris texture.

GeorgSchmidt1980 and Stormy102 like this.
  10. Artaani

Artaani

chingwa, hello. It is amazing! Definitely a leader on the Asset Store!

I have 1 report and 1 question:

Report:
    I noticed that in the web demo project here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/eyeadvanced/demo/
    sliders for iris and sclera colors do nothing (no any visible changed on the eye model)

Question:
    I am going to use it with VR (HTC Vive) and I found a 1 year old review with the text:

"Unfortunatly I had to downgrade the shader to a previous version because the new (better looking) eyes wouldn't work properly in VR. Looks perfect in the right eye, but the left eye does a weird thing where the iris looks as if it's flipping back and forth."

So I want to ask, are you already fixed this issue in the new version?

Thanks!

chingwa likes this.
  11. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @Artaani It's probably a bit unclear in the demo, but the RGB color of the iris and sclera are also affected by the alpha color as well... so the changing color tints won't show until you raise the alpha. This probably wasn't the best default setting for the demo, as you aren't the first to be confused by this... I'll take a look at uploading a revision so it's more obvious how the color tinting works.

As for the comment about VR compatibility, I never heard any further details from that reviewer, unfortunately, so was not able to assess or address the problem he/she was having. It's unclear to me if it was indeed an issue with the eye shader, or if perhaps there was something else in his project that was contributing somehow. I have not had any other reports of VR issues.

Artaani likes this.
  12. Artaani

Artaani

@chingwa
    Thanks for quick reply!

Understood about VR. I will test it and let you know if I will encounter with such issue.

About demo. By default, alpha value set to 100%, so it is strange.
    Actually I just noticed that all sliders except IRIS TEXTURE and PUPIL DILATION have no effect.

Here is a link on 39 Mb GIF
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjR-sm-wpCtQgf83jG0L694bxSTWFw

I tested it in Internet Explorer 11, maybe it is a cause. But modern browsers no longer supports old Unity web plugin based builds.

13. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the .GIF file, yes that is strange that some sliders aren't working! I just checked the actual download (the same demo is included with purchase) and all the sliders work. So in fact you might be right about old Microsoft not running it properly.

I just tried it in my browser but the demo is no longer working for me in firefox at all, despite having installed the webplayer plugin. It's really sad they killed off the webplayer... it was so awesome :(

If you do decide to purchase and run into any trouble then definitely let me know. I'm sure if you run into any VR problems they can be worked out.

Artaani likes this.
  14. Artaani

Artaani

As far as I know, this is made by browsers, not by Unity. Browsers just stopped to support Flash, and Unity WebPlayer somehow was based on it, or browsers just think that WebPlayer is the Flash.

Anyway, new WebGL builds should solve it.
    You just need to create WebGL build.
    The good thing about WebGL - it does not requires an installation of plugin. So build can be run anywhere on modern browser, even if user don't know what is Unity.

15. one_one

one_one

Any plans for adding support for an AO mask?

16. chingwa

chingwa

@Artaani I always run into problems with WebGL... it simply does not support Unity the same effortless way that webplayer did. I'm always running into memory limits or functionality or shader problems, so I've shied away from it. In the future I'll probably just have to do youtube videos instead of interactive demos. Sad that technology is regressing in this instance.

@christoph_r I dont' know how much benefit there would be with an AO mask on the eyes. It does include a "fake" shadow/occlusion mask for the iris and sclera, which I feel is more important and adds a better visual grounding to the eye when it's positioned in a character's head. So, no I don't have plans to add AO, unless you can convince me of reasons why I should :D

Artaani, Stormy102 and one_one like this.
  17. GeorgSchmidt1980

GeorgSchmidt1980

Do you think you could port the AutoDilate script to C#? I saw it written that Unity is going to abandon their JS sooner or later. I always feel it's more professional when authors use C# instead of JS although JS is still supported.

chingwa likes this.
  18. GeorgSchmidt1980

GeorgSchmidt1980

I have 2 question, please:

1) I can't get the reflection point show up:
    eye1.png
    I added a reflection probe with the same parameters as the one that you created in "EyeAdvance_Demo" scene.
    What else may I try?

2) You've shown a great demo with the Japanese girl and the brown eyes on this page. Can we get this as a learning resource? I'm asking because as you can see my eye doesn't look like yours at all, and I would like to find out what you're doing different than me. I use Def / Linear lighting.

ps: Eye on the right side is made by Morph3D, on the left EyeAdvanced (which should look MUCH better, that's why I'm posting here :) )

19. chingwa

chingwa

Hi George,
    Unfortunately I can't release the demo that includes the girl figure because I did not create the character and thus don't have the rights to distribute. However, there is no difference between the standalone eye in the demo and the eye used in the character. Indeed they are from the same prefab and are used in the same scene, so any clues you need should be found in the included demo. The most important element for eye lighting is having a Directional light in your scene, not the reflection probe.

Here's a couple questions for you....
    1) I see you have a light in your scene setup, but is it set as a Unity directional light? (I assume it is, just double checking)
    2) Does the eye still not have specular when the scene is played? I have noticed in some cases lighting in the viewport/game window does not update properly until the scene is actually played. LEt me know if you see any difference.

As for the Auto-Dilation script in C#, this is a good idea and I have attached a C# version below (save it to your project as 'EyeAdv_AutoDilation.cs'). I will include this in the next update, as well as changing the other demo controls to C# as well. BuhBye Javascript!

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class EyeAdv_AutoDilation : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public bool enableAutoDilation = true;
    7.     public Transform sceneLightObject;
    8.     public float lightSensitivity = 1.0f;
    9.     public float dilationSpeed = 0.1f;
    10.     public float maxDilation = 1.0f;
    12.     private Light sceneLight;
    13.     private float lightIntensity;
    14.     private float lightAngle;
    15.     private float dilateTime = 0.0f;
    16.     private float pupilDilation = 0.5f;
    17.     private float currTargetDilation = -1.0f;
    18.     private float targetDilation = 0.0f;
    19.     private float currLightSensitivity = -1f;
    20.     private Renderer eyeRenderer;
    22.     void Start () {
    23.         eyeRenderer = gameObject.GetComponent<Renderer>();
    24.         if (sceneLightObject != null){
    25.             sceneLight = sceneLightObject.GetComponent<Light>();
    26.         }
    27.     }
    29.     void LateUpdate () {
    31.         if (sceneLight != null){
    33.             //set scene lighting
    34.             lightIntensity = sceneLight.intensity;
    36.             //handle auto dilation
    37.             if (enableAutoDilation){
    39.                 //handle timer
    40.                 if (currTargetDilation != targetDilation || currLightSensitivity != lightSensitivity){
    41.                     dilateTime = 0.0f;
    42.                     currTargetDilation = targetDilation;
    43.                     currLightSensitivity = lightSensitivity;
    44.                 }
    46.                 //calculate look angle
    47.                 lightAngle = Vector3.Angle(sceneLightObject.transform.forward,transform.forward) / 180.0f;
    48.                 targetDilation = Mathf.Lerp(1.0f, 0.0f,lightAngle * lightIntensity * lightSensitivity);
    50.                 //handle dilation
    51.                 dilateTime += Time.deltaTime*dilationSpeed;
    52.                 pupilDilation = Mathf.Clamp(pupilDilation, 0.0f, maxDilation);
    53.                 pupilDilation = Mathf.Lerp(pupilDilation, targetDilation, dilateTime);
    55.                 eyeRenderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_pupilSize",pupilDilation);
    56.             }
    57.         }
    59.     }
    60. }

hopeful likes this.
  20. GeorgSchmidt1980

GeorgSchmidt1980

Thank you for your suggestion.
    It's indeed a Directional Light.
    I've played the scene, but it didn't change anything.
    I've also rotated the directional light to check if a reflection point should actually be drawn, but that didn't change anything for the AdvancedEye. The Morph3D reflection point on the other hand changes accordingly, so I guess my setup is not completely wrong.
    scene1.png

21. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm. I'm not really sure what the problem would be here. According to your light it seems like it should work. I have not tested in 2017.2 yet, the latest I tries was 2017.1.2... though you said the demo scene works OK for you correct? I will download the latest and check just in case.

One thing that might help is to set the Directional Light 'Render Mode' to be 'Important' instead of auto.

It really should not matter whether there is a point light in the scene as I have done tests on my end with all manner of lights, but you might try disabling it just in case until the cause of the issue is made known.

22. chingwa

chingwa

OK I found the issue. Try dragging your directional light into the 'Sun Source' slot in your Unity lighting setup. This should fix it, at least it does consistently on my end.

This setting must be sending info to Unity shaders behind the scenes. It does seem to interact with the light 'Render Mode' setting as well. In my tests I can either set the render mode to important, OR set the Sun Source to my direction light, either work. Let me know how it works on your end.

and just FYI, there is no change to this behavior in 2017.2 which I just tested with.

23. GeorgSchmidt1980

GeorgSchmidt1980

I think I found something interesting as well.
    I've uploaded a video here:

To me, it looks like the AdvancedEye only shows a reflection point when the eye is illuminated from behind.

24. GeorgSchmidt1980

GeorgSchmidt1980

From what I can see when drag the EyeAdvanced_LOD into the scene, you got the Z direction wrong, don't you?

axis.png

25. GeorgSchmidt1980

GeorgSchmidt1980

If you can confirm this bug and do a fix, could you please also scale down the eye prefab?
    I'm dealing with a highly established human model, and it's eyes are smaller than your prefab.
    I need to scale your prefab down to 0.8342731 on all axis to make it real-world-scale.
    Of course, if we're dealing with a giant, the eyes will be bigger, but if we're taking an average human, it should please be scaled to 0.8342731.
    I don't want to do any model scaling in Unity because I've had too many bad experiences in regards to physics.
    Therefore a fix would be appreciated.

26. hopeful

hopeful

Just curious ... but I thought we could adjust the scale of models in the importer without incurring physics effects. Is this not the case?

27. chingwa

chingwa

You can just click on the prefab (in the /Prefabs) folder and adjust the transform scale to your required size... then anytime you drag an eye prefab into your scene it should respect your scale settings.

28. chingwa

chingwa

And yes I'm confirming this backlighting is a bug. When eye has a rotation of y=0, then all works fine, but when eye has a rotation of y=180 then the lighting is flipped. I will look at the shader code and see what's up. I cannot believe that over the past 2 years neither I nor any other customer caught this problem :/

Stormy102 and hopeful like this.
  29. chingwa

chingwa

@hopeful yes you can scale it in the asset importer as well (in the/mesh folder). But I think it's easier to do it on the prefab since the mesh already is imported with an offset scale.

30. GeorgSchmidt1980

GeorgSchmidt1980

No, this is not the case, I've already experienced so many crazy things that I already make sure in my 3D app that everything has the perfect scale and I can leave the scale at 1 in the Unity Importer.

For static things like houses, rocks, etc., scaling in the Unity Importer is ok, I think, although I have readt somewhere that it causes issues under some circumstances (but I don't remember which that might be), but I have not experienced such problems yet.

Thanks for the fix in advance.

31. chingwa

chingwa

@GeorgSchmidt1980 I've updated the eye shaders and believe I have a fix for you regarding the specular highlight. Send me an email at konnichiwa@tanukidigital.com and I'll email it to you. Assuming all is well I will also update the main package on the store.

Edit: Since I didn't here from you and I'm fairly certain this bugfix addresses this issue completely I've gone ahead and uploaded an Eye Advanced update to my website and the asset store.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  32. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.8 is now ready for download...

This update includes a few bug fixes and optimizations related to the specular rendering in the eyes. I was notified of a pretty glaring issue where the specular would not render properly when the eye object was in certain rotations. This has been fixed and one result of this bugfix are a few small optimizations in the shader code. I've also rewritten the auto dilation script, and the scripts that drive the demo scene, in C#.

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.8
    - Simplified some specular calculation code in shader.
    - Fixed specular rendering error (failure to draw based on eye rotation).
    - Clamped hot specular disc to prevent blowouts when using Bloom effects.
    - Re-wrote auto-dilation script for C#.
    - Re-write Demo components for C#.

33. recon0303

recon0303

Has this been tested on Android, IOS, PS4, XB1?? Thanks

34. chingwa

chingwa

It has not been tested on mobile platforms by me, and it's unclear whether it will work or not. Perhaps another user can chime in here about that? However I see no reason why it wouldn't work on Consoles... PS4 and XB1 should be perfectly capable of running the shader.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    ina and recon0303 like this.
  35. chingwa

chingwa

It was just pointed out to me that the iris specular in the latest update is bugged! The specular looks correct in Unity 5.0, which is the base version for EyeAdvanced. However if you're using Unity 5.3.4 or higher you'll see the width of the specular start to freak out... probably due to the change on Unity's part to GGX specular term.

I'm looking at this today and should have a fix for this very soon.

36. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.9 is now ready for download...

This update fixes a bug with the main eye specular being too diffused in Unity 5.3.4 and higher. This was due to Unity changes to their specular term in 5.3.4 (moving to GGX). This was never an issue before because EyeAdvanced was using it's own specular term, but this was changed in the last version in order to maximize specular compatibility and fix a few specular errors. Also included in this version are fixes for the smoothness and specular material sliders, which had been broken in the previous release.

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.9
    - Edited specular values to fix soft wide specular in Unity 5.3.4 and higher.
    - Fixed Smoothness and Specular material sliders.

37. MrG

MrG

chingwa likes this.
  38. chingwa

chingwa

@MrG That's because a "Cat Eye" option is already included :D

You need to adjust the material a little bit, using the cat eye color texture and the cat iris mask texture, and I also recommend to lower the pupil dilation amount a little for these. But otherwise they should work very well. :)

39. MrG

MrG

Nice! You might consider adding at least one image with a few cat / lizard eye variations and some mention of this feature on the asset store. I looked on your website, searched this forum, and read your product description and found nothing before I posted my message above. Being able to use these eyes in creatures opens up a massive new audience if they can look like creature eyes!

hopeful and chingwa like this.
  40. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah, it really needs an example image on the store, I agree! I would like to add a few more "novelty" textures to go along with this... perhaps a robotic/terminator glowing eyeball. :)

MrG and hopeful like this.
  41. MrG

MrG

I'll keep watching ... If you roll out a bunch of different eyes in this package I'll be a buyer. :) Plenty of inspiration in Google Images.

42. Escope12

Escope12

Hi. I have a question about the shader. Can it merge the Iris and the Scalera texture into one and make it a new texture?

43. chingwa

chingwa

The textures are separate so that they can be scaled/adjusted separately from each other. So if you are adding custom textures they need to be supplied as two different textures.

Escope12 likes this.
  44. Escope12

Escope12

Is there a way that I can download this shader for free or do I have to buy it? Because the characters in Life is Strange Before the Storm uses the Eye Advanced Shaders.

45. chingwa

chingwa

it's not free, no.

46. Escope12

Escope12

I've extracted the eye textures from Life is Strange Before the Storm & someone merged the Scalera and the Iris texture in Photoshop.

Edit : do not post pirated assets.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  47. chingwa

chingwa

@Escope12 Why do you need these textures combined? Can you point me to where on the web you found these? You do realize that by posting these textures in a public forum you are technically infringing on my commercial product, right?

48. Escope12

Escope12

These textures I extracted are from Life is Strange Before the Storm. I bought the game on Steam. I didn't realize that I was doing something wrong.

chingwa likes this.
  49. MrG

MrG

Extraction was illegal, and makers of Life is Strange should have secured that content so it wasn't exposed to theft.

50. chingwa

chingwa

I don't know if extraction is illegal, per se, if you own the game. Though I agree they should have secured the content. That being said, extraction and then sharing online with others who don't own the game (or the asset) is certainly against copyright.