Search Unity

EYE ADVANCED - Realistic Eye Shader

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Feb 21, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

EYE ADVANCED - Realistic Eye Shader for Unity

Eye Advanced is an Eye shader and prefab system that brings brings realistic eye rendering effects to Unity, including advanced specular, parallax warp, dilation, and physically-based shading algorithms.

Demo Webplayer | Documentation PDF | Help Forum

Available Now on:
    Unity Asset Store ver 1.1

TanukiDigital.com ver 1.1

-------------------------
    INCLUDED FEATURES:

Multiple LODs

Automatically changes geometry and shader complexity as distance from eyes increases.

Customization

You have control over many aspects of eye rendering, such as eye color, pupil dilation, iris size and iris tint color. Includes 15 preset eye texture options, or use them as a template to create your own.

Scriptable Pipeline Support
    Standard Renderer (Unity 5.0+)
    URP Universal Render Pipeline (Unity 2019.3.0+)
    HDRP High Definition Render Pipeline (Unity 2019.3.0+)

Register your Purchase

By registering your Unity Asset Store purchase with Tanuki Digital you get immediate access to updates as they happen, as well as Eye Advanced and Tanuki Digital news and information. Click here to register...

for further information about Eye Advanced, please visit the below sites:
    EYE ADANCED HOMEPAGE

EYE ADVANCED HELP FORUM
    EYE ADVANCED DOCUMENTATION

Requirements:

Unity 2020.x / 2019.x / 2018.x / 2017.x / 5.x

(Unity 5.3.4 or above is recommended.)
    ** Linear lighting and deferred rendering recommended but not required **

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. Sykoo

Sykoo

This... is just... wow!
    Incredible work!

chingwa likes this.
  3. chingwa

chingwa

:) Thank you!

4. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Really impressive

5. chingwa

chingwa

@b4c5p4c3 - Thank You!

After having some issues with the Unity upload tool, I'm happy to report that Eye Advanced has been submitted, and hopefully will be available on the Unity Asset Store later this week.

In the meantime if anyone is interested in purchasing, please check out the official Eye Advanced website here:
    http://www.tanukidigital.com/eyeadvanced

6. kenshin

kenshin

Very nice, congrats!

7. chingwa

chingwa

8. chingwa

chingwa

I've already gotten some great feedback via email, such as making a wider zoom range for the Sclera texture and adding a custom over brightening option. Keep it coming guys! I'll be posting an update soon!

9. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

EyeAdvanced version 1.0.1 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

This update adds a few tweakable controls on the shader and fixes some issues where the eyes were too bright in dark/low-light scenes. The update will be coming to the Asset Store later this week.

UPDATE: 3/1/2015 - EyeAdvanced Version 1.0.1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -NEW - "Brightness Shift" setting allows you to manually adjust overall brightness.
    -NEW - "Specular Size" setting allows you to manually enlarge the size of specular reflections in the iris area.
    -FIX - Overbright lighting issues in dark scenes. Eyes now respect scene brightness better.
    -FIX - Sclera can now be sized wider to prevent red from showing at edges.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. chingwa

chingwa

This update has been submitted to the store, but I'm not sure how long it will take considering GDC is on this week. Any current customers who'd like to update before it's available on the asset store can register and download the latest on my website. Registration signup is here... http://www.tanukidigital.com/eyeadvanced/

11. chingwa

chingwa

12. chingwa

chingwa

and oh yeah... for those Japanese speakers out there...
    このアップデットの記述は今日本語で書いたんです。

13. chingwa

chingwa

Just like to give thanks to everyone who's purchases EyeAdvanced so far. Please drop by the asset store and leave a review/rating, they are very much appreciated! Also if you have any suggestions or requests for future updates I'd love to hear them!

14. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Added this to my cart but got the Unity 4 asset might not work in Unity 5 warning. Can anyone confirm if this shader set works in Unity 5? Thanks in advance!

15. chingwa

chingwa

@UnleadedGames Yes, I just double checked here... it works perfect in Unity 5. :)

UnleadedGames likes this.
  16. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I've recently been toying with the idea of moving EyeAdvanced completely over to Unity 5, and re-doing the lighting model in order to automatically inherit Unity5 lighting and probes. This would mean either having a second set of shaders just for Unity 5, or simply removing 4.x support and just updating the existing shaders to require Unity 5.

I'm still undecided, so any feedback you guys have would be really appreciated :)

17. chingwa

chingwa

Bump! :)
    Still looking for feedback on whether to do a pure Unity 5 version of the shaders.

18. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Would love a Unity 5 version myself. :)

chingwa likes this.
  19. ForceX

ForceX

Boom purchased!

U5 support : You currently have a good product that works in 4.x, perhaps create a separate 5.x version that supports probes and any new features would require 5.x? You can zip them into separate files and let the developer choose the version right for them. Then later on if you feel that 4.x is no longer worth the trouble you can simply drop it.

Personally Unity 5!

chingwa likes this.
  20. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Unity 5 all the way for me. I have already purchased and this seems like a great addition. Would be a huge boost to the asset.

chingwa likes this.
  21. danielsklar

danielsklar

Hello, please package also supports other platforms? I especially iOS and Android? Thanks

22. chingwa

chingwa

It hasn't been tested on my end with mobile. I wonder if any other users here are using it successfully in their iOS/Android projects...?

23. chingwa

chingwa

Today I've upgraded the webplayer demo so that it works with WebGL in Chrome. Hopefully this will help improve the popularity of EyeAdvanced.

I will also be releasing a full Unity 5 version with updated shaders that take advantage of the ambient/lighting in Unity 5, stay tuned for more details!

24. ForceX

ForceX

Nice!! Looking forward to the U5 update :)

25. mkgm

mkgm

Hi,
    testing EYE ADVANCED with DAZ G2F.

chingwa likes this.
  26. chingwa

chingwa

Looks great! :D

27. mkgm

mkgm

Hi chingwa,
    thanks.

I made some changes to the file "eyeball_DIFF_Sclera.tga" because it was a little "dark", and looked like a sick woman.
    I modified the file with GIMP and made the center area (white area) more white, and change a bit the "red/brown" area with a pink color.

My humble opinion: make the "eyeball_DIFF_Sclera" more clear/healthy.

Thanks for your great asset!

28. chingwa

chingwa

@mkgm thanks for the feedback! I'm in the process of updating a couple of my other assets at the moment, but I should be done with those soon, and plan to do an update to EyeAdvanced shortly after. I'll definitely look into brightening up the sclera texture. :)

In the meantime if you run into any other improvements or suggestions I'd love to hear them as well.

29. one_one

one_one

Would an option to fake AO for the eyes be a reasonable thing to handle in the shader or would that be better to do as an additional mesh?

30. chingwa

chingwa

I think this would be difficult to do on the shader. For realistic results it really depends on the surrounding eye shape which EyeAdvanced has no control over. So it would be best to do either in conjunction with the surrounding face mesh, or as you said, as a separate mesh I think.

31. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

This looks great! Is the script included so the eyes pupil will automatically change size based on the lighting position, like in your demo? If so, will any light work?

Also can we easily use our own textures with your shader? Looking at your doc it appears so, but I just wanted to be certain.

Thanks.

32. chingwa

chingwa

@adamz the demo scene is included in the download, so yes you can look and see how it goes about changing the dilation. Currently this is built into the GUI controller... you tell it what light to track and then it adjusts dilation accordingly. For the next update I could add a more specific dilation controller though. This could be built directly into the shader... that might be the best way to do it actually as then it could work for most scene lighting automatically. I'll look into this for the next update.

You can add your own textures. Each part of the eye has it's own custom texture so you should be able to customize it fairly easily.

33. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

If you could build the light controller directly into the shader so it happens automatically, that would be awesome.

chingwa likes this.
  34. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.2 is now ready for download...

The main focus of this update has been bringing Eye Advanced to Unity 5. This means that Eye Advanced now has new Unity 5 specific shaders by default (The old Unity 4 shaders are still included). This allows integration with Unity 5's lighting system and automatic acceptance of reflection probe data as well.

There have been a few other small tweaks to the shaders and textures, as well as the inclusion of a new "Cats Eye" texture (both iris color texture and mask texture). I'm also including a new component that handles auto pupil dilation. This was previously shown as an example in the demo scene, but now it's been made a part of the eye prefab object (for LOD0 only).

Version 1.0.2 has also been submitted to the Asset Store and should be available there soon.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

------------------------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.2
    - NEW - Eye Advanced shaders now U5 compatible, with reflection probe and U5 lighting support.
    - NEW - Eye Advanced now uses Unity 5 specific shaders by default.
    - NEW - Added Smoothness/specular shader variables.
    - NEW - Added Auto Pupil Dilation component for the LOD0 prefab.
    - NEW - Added cats eye example textures (iris color texture and mask texture).
    - CHANGE - pupil texture of alpha channel now used as mask for emission color (glow).
    - CHANGE - Removed cubemap textures from shader list. Use Unity 5 reflection probes instead.
    - CHANGE - Adjusted parallax mask strength

Ghosthowl and hopeful like this.
  35. ForceX

ForceX

Nice, looking forward to this :)

36. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Excellent! Thanks so much for delivering on this idea. Will update asap :)

37. chingwa

chingwa

38. ForceX

ForceX

Excellent "Taps fingers together"

39. chingwa

chingwa

40. ForceX

ForceX

LOL beat me to it, i was going to edit my post with that image after i got home. :)

41. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Just picked this up. Great asset!

Is there a way in which the pupil dilation works for any light source, instead of just the one you assign? I'm not a shader guy, but it would be awesome to dilate based on the brightness of the scene, that way it will change even if there is an emission light source too... Just a thought!

42. chingwa

chingwa

@adamz I've been looking into the on-shader dilation issue and haven't had much luck. The script-solution seems to be the best way to do this for now, but yeah I agree I would love it to be able to automatically pick up any lights in your scene, or automatically work with ambient. Perhaps in the future!

43. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.3 is now ready for download...

The main focus of this release was bringing some realism-oriented tweaks to the shaders with additional characteristics like limbal darkening, improved specular model, and better corneal normals. I've also fixed some errors in the parallax calculation that was causing artifacts while viewed from extreme angles. All in all these changes should add an extra dimension of realism.

I've also updated the online demo to show Eye Advanced with a character. This doesn't affect the download (character is not included, sorry!) but I thought it was important to show how the eyes look in context. If you're interested, you can take a look at the updated demo here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/eyeadvanced/demo/

Version 1.0.3 has also been submitted to the Asset Store and should be available there soon.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.3
    - Adjusted shader for more realistic rendering.
    - Added Limbal edge darkening calculation on cornea.
    - Reformulated Specular for stronger directional highlights.
    - Custom Normal Distribution shader functions for a clearer Cornea.
    - Adjusted Parallax function to remove distortion and artifacts.
    - Adjusted iris textures for detail and contrast.
    - Removed back scattering function (was too subtle to justify the additional calculations.)
    - Online Demo now shows eyes in-context with character example (not included in download).

mkgm likes this.
  44. mkgm

mkgm

@justin Thank you so much for the updates !!!

45. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks for the effort! Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out in future releases...

46. chingwa

chingwa

mkgm likes this.
  47. Whippets

Whippets

Hey @chingwa, I've got a strange bug showing in 5.3.2. The further the camera is from the eyes, the more noticable a cross pattern appears on the eyeballs.

Image29.png

Any ideas what is causing this?

chingwa likes this.
  48. one_one

one_one

Looks like a mipmapping issue to me, having a larger "border" around the UV seams should fix it if that's indeed the case.

Whippets and chingwa like this.
  49. chingwa

chingwa

@Whippets Indeed, @christoph_r is exactly correct... this is a texture mask and mipmap issue. I'm not sure why I never caught this before, as I checked and it's happening on older versions of Unity as well. I made some small edits and the attached patch should fix this for you... If you have any further issues with this then let me know.

I'll put out a new update on the store with this fix tomorrow as well.

Attached Files:

Whippets likes this.
  50. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Eye Advanced version 1.0.4 is now ready for download...

This is a small update to address a rendering artifact that many users might be noticing. Specifically there was a problem when viewing the eyes from far away with a pixelated 'cross' anomaly appearing due edge and mipmapping errors on one of the included textures. This should now be completely fixed.

Version 1.0.4 is also now available on the Asset Store.

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.4
    - Adjusted texture and mipmap settings to remove 'cross' shaped rendering artifacts.

John-G and Whippets like this.