Search Unity

Expanding 2D Rougelike Game Basic Menu, Arcade-style Leader-board and Choices' On Player's Death

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by RedEyedDeveloper, May 23, 2017.

1. RedEyedDeveloper

RedEyedDeveloper

Hello any and all,

I am attempting to expand the Rougelike 2D game from the Unity tutorial. What i want to do is simple (in theory) I would like to add a basic menu with a Play, Leader board and Exit buttons', When Play has been clocked the game runs and upon death, another option pops up to return to the min menu or exit the game after the player entered their the initials for their score to be added to the scoreboard. When the returns to the Main menu they can play again by pressing play, the only way they can exit the game is by pressing the exit button on the main menu or upon death pressing exit.

Now, i have found a tutorial for a main menu but it is not working (Tutorial URL http://pixelnest.io/tutorials/2d-game-unity/menus/ ) The part to at the MenuScript.StartGame() to then add the StartGame() function does not work in the way it was shown in the tutorial in my version of Unity version 5.6.0f3 Personal 64 But Windows edition.

I have also found a leaderboard tutoral at (URL https://docs.gamesparks.net/tutorials/unity-tutorial-creating-leaderboard-prefabs-posting-scores ) I have not started this one yet for, i am still creating the menu.

So, after all of that this is the issue(s) The menu button is not working and due to the fact this is for different projects i know it will interfere with the games tutorial built loops'.

I just want to make a working menu, arcade-style leader-board and options after death.

Thank you to any and all help

P.S. Please be kind i am still new to game development.

Sincerely,

R.E.D.

2. GameSparks_Clare

GameSparks_Clare

Hi RedEyedDeveloper,

I'm sorry I can't really help you with your main issue of making a menu. However since you mentioned us I wanted to wish you all the best on your project (sounds like a fun one!) and to let you know if you ever have any questions about the GameSparks side of things please do not hesitate to get in touch with our team via https://support.gamesparks.net/support/home we'd be happy to help in any way we can!

Clare

3. RedEyedDeveloper

RedEyedDeveloper

Hello,

Thank you for your response i will be continuing development later today and tomorrow so i will keep your suggestion in mind. The reason why i need a main menu is because i want the player to have a Play, Leader board and Exit option when they boot the game. While, also having another option upon their death to enter three letters for their initials to record their scoreboard, then they have an option to return to the main menu or exit the game.

Thank You for your tip though i will keep it in mind.

Sincerely,

R.E.D.