Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

ETA for release?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by FrankBuss, Oct 11, 2016.

1. FrankBuss

FrankBuss

Is there an ETA when the 2D features will be released? Just some ballpark figure would be sufficient, like 3 months, 1 year, 5 years, so that I can plan better, because would be bad if I develop a game with it and then I have to wait a long time for the release.

2. Balthamet

Balthamet

Been following this for what I am guessing is a year. Just from watching the progress it has made, at least another year and likely longer.

3. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

For what I know there wont be a 2D big release but each feature will be released when its ready.
    For instance in 5.4 we had some new 2D features, and so on

4. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

+1, yes would like know also if this make it all in 5.5 final, as lot things discussed in forums here.

6. FrankBuss

FrankBuss

I need only the new Tilemap, but looks like it might need some more months until all known bugs are fixed and new features are tested and implemented. Maybe I'll just use Super Tilemap Editor. It has some advanced features not possible with the Unity Tilemap, like infinite, procedurally, on-the-fly generated maps, or custom properties for tiles, and it seems to be a mature product with good support by the developer.

7. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

From a general perspective: Since 5.5 is already well in the beta phase we're very reluctant to land a totally new feature now.

Any more concrete words are about schedules need to come from the actual 2D team guys :)

8. douglasparker

douglasparker

Definitely wish we had more of a definite timeline. Plenty of us have been waiting on native tile-map support, but you can't expect people to wait forever.

I can personally wait, but I don't want to wait 6 months only to find out it's got another year before it's stable enough to use in production environments.

Unity has a road map, please fit this into it so we know what and when to expect.

9. topagae

topagae

I've been waiting for the better part of a decade for in-engine 2D from these folk, I'd also love a 2D friendly release XD

10. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I can't speak for the non 2D physics stuff but the CapsuleCollider2D is already in 5.5 alongside various other improvements and the CompositeCollider2D stuff will be in 5.6 alongside the revamped contact-processing and contact API (all of that stuff will be in preview#3).

I started working on the internal testing & review process for the composite/contact API this week and want to land it into the 5.6 alpha ASAP.

Note that the roadmap for the above items will be updated when the review process has finished and I know it's going into that version.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  11. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I will write a post about the dates very soon. But to answer this post: Things will be released during the first half of next year.

Internally some of the features are done, so they now go through the process of alpha/beta/rc/gold. (Note, experimental is before alpha). So by the time it comes out, it will be first half of next year.

More precision soon. Thanks.

eladleb4, douglasparker and Rohot like this.
  12. douglasparker

douglasparker

Awesome, thanks for the update. Looking forward to reading your post about the dates.

13. douglasparker

douglasparker

Any information about the tilemap release date?

14. douglasparker

douglasparker

@ColossalPaul It's been about 4 to 5 months. Is that post still coming? I want to make use of these tools but communication on when to expect them is non existant.

15. douglasparker

douglasparker

Almost a month and still no reply...

16. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

Ooopsie... but we are so close... Once it lands in our trunk, I'll tell here. So close... so close...

Torguen and douglasparker like this.
  17. plauk

plauk

This sounds promising. I just checked the roadmap and the tilemap feature is still listed in the experimental section. Would be pretty exciting to see it make the jump to the 2017.01 beta. Of all the 2D features here, the tilemap is really the only one I've been really looking forward to.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  18. douglasparker

douglasparker

Most definitely, that's the big feature I've been waiting on. I leave this tab open 24/7 refreshing everyday hoping for more news.

Torguen and Shodan0101 like this.
  19. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

You've left this tab open, constantly refreshing, for the past 5 months?

Jesus, Unity better hurry up. They don't realize they're ruining a life. :D

douglasparker likes this.
  20. douglasparker

douglasparker

To be fair, my PC is also a home media center so it's always on. :p