Search Unity

Error while importing package: Package has unknown format

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Deozaan, May 16, 2017.

1. Deozaan

Deozaan

I've got a project that is using Unity 4.7.x. I'm wanting to set up analytics in the project but when I try to import the Unity Analytics package from the Asset Store I get an error:

The Asset Store listing page says the package was uploaded in Unity 4.2.0 and 5.0.4 to improve compatibility, so it should be working in Unity 4.7.x.

Anyone have any information about what the problem might be and how to fix it? Upgrading to Unity 5.x (or 2017 beta) is not an option for this project.

Thanks in advance.

2. allentin

allentin

I got the same problem...

3. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Deozaan, @allentin

Yeah, it looks like I get the same error when I try to download the asset using 4.7.2. We are looking into any issues with the package, the asset store, or that version of Unity.

In the meantime, I did find a workaround, albeit it is a bit cumbersome. I was able to download the asset using 5.1.5:
    https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Then I exported the SDK as a assetpackage. I then opened Unity 4.7.2 and I was able to import that package and integrate Analytics correctly using these docs:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsSDK.html

Edit: Actually the SDK is available on the Analytics dashboard on the Integration page. Just make sure to select the correct engine version (4.x - 5.1) then click through to the Basic Integration tab.

sdkstep1.PNG

sdkstep2.PNG

I understand it is not always possible, but I do strongly encourage people to upgrade to a later version of the engine, which includes the Analytics system without any additional SDK.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Deozaan likes this.
  4. Deozaan

Deozaan

Thank you. This worked for me.

Adding analytics to this project is pretty much the last thing to do before it "goes gold" and then the next project will be using the latest version of the engine.

ap-unity likes this.
  5. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Deozaan, @allentin

The Asset Store team let me know that this issue has been fully resolved. You should no longer have issues with package formats on 4.x. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

6. Deozaan

Deozaan

Awesome! Thank you, @ap-unity!

Now if only I could have the Asset Store honor my decision to keep me signed in so I wouldn't have to login every time I try to access it from within Unity 4, that would be wonderful.