Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Error while importing package: Couldn't decompress package

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ajjo, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ajjo

ajjo

Every time I try to import any package I get this error information - "Error while importing package: Couldn't decompress package".

This happens even with the standard asset packages. However it works fine in my colleagues machine. :-(. Any help?

SwixDevs and GanemVisk like this.
  2. mattsonic

mattsonic

This happens for me, too. No idea what caused it.

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Are the unity versions of the package creator and the package receiver the same?
    Did you pull the package through a foreign file system?
    Try zipping the package before sending it to the receiver.

4. seon

seon

It is because you are not waiting for the package to finish zipping when you make it.

Once it is finished, it will pop up a Finder window showing it. Just because Unity looks like it have finished because the dialogue window closes, doesn't mean it has finished.

try making it again, and waiting until it pops up in finder, then it it safe to distribute.

This has been brought up on the forum before a few times ;-)

EDIT: OK I don't think I read the original post properly! Ignore my comments.

zzapcoder likes this.
  5. AaronC

AaronC

Better yet, put it in a folder and zip the folder

HTH
    AC

Kabayna likes this.
  6. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

I was getting this error because the shared folder I was importing the shared assets from didn't have full read/write access. Fixing that alleviated the problem.

7. hanbing

hanbing

If you are using Chinese windows xp, don't put the package under a folder whose name includes Chinese character.

GanemVisk, avi9111 and Benziacy like this.
  8. firenonsuch

firenonsuch

that's right!

ciber22 likes this.
  9. plami56

plami56

When you decompress the package you pobably don't put it in the project panel....
    Well when I put the package into the project pannel I didn't have the problem ! :D:D:D

PS: Sorry for my bad english...

vaew233 likes this.
  10. diverseer

diverseer

It was cos path 2 folder with ur package has russian symbols. Drop it 2 root of ur disk, 4 example, and try 2 decompress it there.

11. randolfo

randolfo

Solved for me!
    I simply downloaded the package again, and changed the directory. In the tried before I put the package in a google drive local directory. I hope this help.

csmurphy26, Pinatz and GanemVisk like this.
  12. ANDROSS.MOONAH

ANDROSS.MOONAH

When I try to get free Assets from the Asset store, I think it tries to save them to my C drive, which is full. My D drive is where I keep my most files. How do I get Unity to save stuff to my D drive and not my C drive? It is downloading to the C drive on default and either giving me error messages or saying there isn't enough room in my C drive.

13. terwxqian

terwxqian

it works!!

dennisoomen321 likes this.
  14. simonii

simonii

I tried all of above then I downloaded the package again, pasted it into the Asset folder and it now works. Note the new package was the same release number as the failed package...the failed one may have been corrupted in the download?

15. Josef Planieta

Josef Planieta

What do unity we write error while importing package: Couldn't decompress package:(:(:(

16. qgouty

qgouty

Hi everyone, I had this problem, but I found the solution for me : I put the project and the package who I want to import in a USB Key (with no space avaible - 0 free ko), I delete some stuff to make more space and it's working. Maybe the error display when you have no enough space to decompress and install
    Sorry for my english , i'm bad in. :)

17. Benziacy

Benziacy

Thanks a lot.

18. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

This error also comes up if any folder names/file names leading up to your Unity project are too long.

dapshos, GanemVisk and tweettopix like this.
  19. sandala

sandala

Solved for me. I just accidentally create my project into D:. Simply create new project into default unity project folder, which is C:\Users\username\Documents (on my PC of course)

20. Nahinho

Nahinho

Hey Guyz !

I just experienced that issue. The packages I tryied to import were in an older project's root. I moved it onto desktop, executed my packages, and it worked perfectly.

pmurph03 likes this.
  21. Dj_Zuczyslaw

Dj_Zuczyslaw

I had the same problem. First my project name was: " Substance DT - Physically Based Shading for Unity Using Substance Designer[Unity5]". I put it into a folder with the same name and I had those errors. I Think the problem is when your project name (or folder with your project) have specjal characters like [, ], chinese letters etc.
    So you should just to create new project without special characters on the name:D.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  22. legasce

legasce

I get this same error. I have tried with Unity 5.3.1p1, 5.3.1f1, 5.3.0, 5.2.4, and 5.2.1. Always the same error: "
    Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks()". I have installed Unity on my C Drive, My D drive, re-installed uFPS several times, made sure the folders all had full permissions and it still does not decompress. I find it strange that this is the ONLY package that presents this error; I have 48 other packages and not 1 of them gives an when trying to open it in Unity.

To say the least, I am starting to get very frustrated. For the asset creator to blame Unity for this error, I think, is very unprofessional. There is obviously something wrong with the way this asset was packaged.

Has anyone remotely found the reason for this error?

normand likes this.
  23. normand

normand

Yeess I have the same opinion. And on the chat, they suggest to the plubkisher to compress the pack in a folder. But i dont know whath we can do like costumers.

24. normand

normand

Hey, i will try somethink like they suggest on thr top, I have make more place in my C:driver and retry. I'll come back let you know if it's work it.

25. legasce

legasce

Update: So I figured out my issue, sort of. The problem was, Windows 8 is somehow preventing the package from decompressing; maybe permissions. I asked a friend and he was using Windows 10 and could decompress the file. I tried on my Windows 7 machine and it was also successful.

To make a long story short, after messing around with permissions on the windows 8 machine, with no luck, I decided to upgrade to windows 10 and it worked right away.

If upgrading is an option for you maybe give it a try.

26. maki47

maki47

I also encounter this error: "Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks()". While importing the updated package of Unity Survival Shooter for Unity 5. I'm using Unity 5.2.0 (64-bit) OS: windows 8. I know @legasce said that win8 is somehow causing this problem, but why can I import other packages except the one I recently downloaded? I want to downgrade from win8 to windows 7 but that is a lot of work. Any solution?

27. avi9111

avi9111

great,I'am chinese, it's my situation, thanks, no chinese routinue

28. rohankad

rohankad

ERROR FIXED.

There was not enough disc space to decompress, make some disc space and try.

rhytham_the_great and Khashaneh like this.
  29. RyanGr

RyanGr

I had the same error, try deleting the file and redownloading it by going to %appdata% > unity > Assets Store > Unity Technologies and then the click the final folder then find your package and delete. go back into unity and press control + 9 (if your downloading from the assets store) find your package redownload and try decompress it again. if it doesn't repeat the process, if it still doesn't work it may be you dont have enough space or something else. hope this helped

30. LinnKhant

LinnKhant

The best option is to use Windows 10 or Windows 7, Windows 8.1 has a little problem when importing the package in some unitypackage files. So, try to upgrade to windows 10 or dual boot it.

31. rudyx

rudyx

I solved the problem by removing the files which unsuccessfully tried to upload the first time. By default, they are located in the folder C:\Users\NAME_OF_YOUR_PC_USER\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies\Unity EssentialsSample Projects
    And then just download the asset again.

dalianmao513, ElBuho, suddy00 and 3 others like this.
  32. RoyLin86

RoyLin86

I've got the same problem "Failed to importing package.Couldn't decompress package" when importing vuforia 6.How could I solved this?
    My Unity version : unity 5.4.0f3(64bits)
    windows8.1

33. aaonurdemir

aaonurdemir

If your system does not have enough space, the decompression cannot be performed. Open some space and try again. It solved my problem.

34. omelchor

omelchor

Perfect for me. Thanks!

wx123456 likes this.
  35. Antonino10

Antonino10

In my case I had the problem because I unfortunately hit the cancel button during the first time this operation was to be performed. All the successive Import were failing. My solution was to go to "C:\Users\accountName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store" [thanks to @arvzg for the path], eliminate the package and start again from Unity Asset Store. Have a good day guys!

36. Bubinga_Studios

Bubinga_Studios

The way I fixed the problem was going to %appdata% > Roaming > Unity > Asset Store-5x > (Name of Author) and deleting the folder with the assets, and redownloading. Thanks everybody who was involved in this!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  37. SarthakHShah7

SarthakHShah7

I am also getting the error of "Couldn't decompress package" while importing it into unity 5.6 project. But when I tried to import the same package in unity 5.4 it worked. There must be some problem in reading of package file with unity 5.6. or is it the issue with the package file ? Let me know if anyone has all ready faced and how did you resolved it ?

38. SarthakHShah7

SarthakHShah7

Well I found the solution the for it for unity 5.6.0b8. It worked for me. Here is the step.
    Note(you must have different version unity working for importing the same package)
    1. Go to "C:\Program Files\Unity 5.6.0b8\Editor\Data\Tools" and look for 3 files with name 7z. (7z.dll, 7z.exe, 7z.txt).
    2. Copy all the above listed file and make sure backup it your different folder.
    3. Now Go to "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools" and look for 3 files with name 7z. (7z.dll, 7z.exe, 7z.txt)
    4. Copy all above file and replace it with other files in "C:\Program Files\Unity 5.6.0b8\Editor\Data\Tools" and look for 3 files with name 7z. (7z.dll, 7z.exe, 7z.txt)."

NathanVanHouten, EchoHou and mdevil like this.
  39. mdevil

mdevil

That was helpfully. Thanks.

SarthakHShah7 likes this.
  40. EchoHou

EchoHou

Thanks.

I think this issue might caused by the version of 7-zip that Unity used have some kind of bug.

Some supplement:
    You can also download the old version of 7-zip {7-Zip 9.20 (2010-11-18) for Windows} form here http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    Then unzip the 7z.dll & 7z.exe files from the setup file.
    Copy those two files and replace files in "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools" this folder.
    Restart Unity.
    Have fun!

ps. Crappy English, Sorry. :)

asklvhang and NathanVanHouten like this.
  41. TexusDark

TexusDark

I have found the solution :

Create a folder like "MyGames" in C:\ (At the root) and create your project in the folder.

42. avi9111

avi9111

If the language in you country is 2 or 3 byte per character, you should use English folder path instead

43. ShaderConst

ShaderConst

maybe version mismatch

44. Jasinka

Jasinka

Hello,

This working on android and ios?
    You write - "Mobile support"
    Thank in advance.

45. IrradiatedPoints

IrradiatedPoints

(I had used the packed with an older version) My solution was deleting the package you want in Appdata>Roaming>Unity>Assets.

Then on next launch Unity ran though the files, saw it was missing and i was able to download from the store properly fresh.

46. geraldsmallbear

geraldsmallbear

Thank you. I tried literally everything else in this thread and this is the only one that yielded a result.

NathanVanHouten likes this.
  47. MADTNT1013

MADTNT1013

Pls help me im trying to import UFPS and it comes up with this error code

Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks()

Please Help me because i have a Deadline to meet

48. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Still having the error here

49. caldofran

caldofran

I had the same error, deactivate the antivirus was the solution for me...

50. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

See EchoHou's post.