Search Unity

Error CS0103

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Mikevincent, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

Hello.
    I am completely new to this and I am going thru some tutorials. Now I have encountered an error. Whever I try to make a C# script it says on both UnityEngine and MonoBehaviour (that are also marked in red) "Error CS0103 - the name does not exist in the current context". I have searched for this on Google and many people seem to have this error, yet no solution I have found has worked. I have tried to change to Net 4.5. Nothing works. Please help.

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Post your script, and lets take a look at it

3. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

Well, it works outside of the MonoDevelop. When I hit the play button it runs as it should.

I made a new C# without any written code and took a print screen to show you, here -

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

In that case, it's likely just the references in the project - if you choose "Open C# project" from the assets menu, it should rebuild the project.

5. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Also don't do that... Unity is running on a 3.5 runtime equivalent.

6. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

This is the error I am getting. Nothing works to fix it.

Build failed. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  7. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

See my previous reply. "Version=4.0.0.0"... you can't do that. You can't target .NET 4.

8. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

It doesnt matter wich I chose. Still the same issue.
    I should also mention I have enabled .NET 3.5 in Windows.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Then you've referenced an assembly that targets .NET 4. System.Web to be exact.

10. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

I don't even have an option to reference to anything above 3.5. But I am new to all this, I am maybe doing something wrong.
    Even if I start a new project and try to make a C# script I get this error at once.

11. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Try reinstalling, something is funky, maybe a default project template is messed up but that error means that something is referencing System.Web from .NET 4.x.

12. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

I have reinstalled now. Without any errors. But the problem is still there :(

Like this. On a new install of Unity and a new project.

And as you can see, it is set to .Net 3.5.

Here is another one having the exact same problem. Seems like no one knows what it is.
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1239502/errors-cs0103-monodevelop.html

Here you can see what happens when I try to debug code in Monodevelop. I get that System.web error.

However, if I run it in Unity directly, I get no errors at all. It doesnt make any sense. To me, of course, I have only used Unity for five days now. But I am guessing somthings messed up in my Windows. It's wierd though, I get no problems with anything else. No other programs nor games is getting messed up.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  13. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

My advice... stop using MonoDevlop. It's garbage. Download Visual Studio 2017 Community edition. It's free. And make sure you choose visual studio tools for unity when you install.

14. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

Yes. I have decided to try that. So annoying to have these kind of errors now. Like its not enough for me to learn both Unity and C# :(

15. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

If I recall, I think I saw someone who mentioned that for some reason the project in Monodevelop was referencing UnityEngine.dll from the wrong Unity version causing it not to load, but I'm not positive. Visual Studio will make you so much happier though.

16. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

I know now that it works with framework 3.5 as long as I untick "Use msbuild engine". However it gives the error when I try to debug again. But could this be somthing with ms build that is wrong? Can I get a never/other ms build?

17. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Are you still talking about with MonoDevelop or with Visual Studio?

18. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

No, Monodevelop. The reason I really want to use it still is because I have found a very good channel on youtube with over 140videos about Unity and C#. I have watched his videos for two days now and from knowing nothing about C# I now know some very bassic foundations. I really want to use Monodevelop for now, since it is what he is using as well, it makes it easier for me as a begginer.

19. Mikevincent

Mikevincent

Never mind, I found a solution for this.

20. Fehler

Fehler