Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Endlessly spinning cog after script changes

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by hippocoder, Jan 4, 2017.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

Still get the endlessly spinning cog bug where unity thinks it is compiling a script but it is not. Also prevents going into play mode but can otherwise still use Unity normally.

Wondered what causes it? A restart of the editor shows Unity asks me to hold on and compiles the script and everything works normally. I believe this to be a collab issue...

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I occasionally see this as well, although I didn't make the collab connection (but thinking about it, the period I started seeing this matches when I started using collab)

3. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Hi,
    Do you know what action you made right before it started spinning? A rollback or an update? I saw it yesterday too but couldn't find the right repro.

thanks!

Gurg likes this.
  4. Baste

Baste

I were trying out Collab for the Global Game Jam, and I saw this happen. Re-importing any script (ie. manually recompiling) fixed this.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Definitely not a rollback (I don't do this often). Not sure exactly what causes it. I'll try to pay extra close attention next time it happens.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Okay, one way to reproduce it (semi?) reliably is:

After you changed a script and it's compiling, do a commit. The cog will never stop spinning.

Not sure if it's the only trigger.

7. BiosElement

BiosElement

I've been having this issue recently as well. It goes away after restarting Unity itself and then returns the very next time I update a script about 50% of the time. I've checked the processes and they appear to be at idle or very nearly so.

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So is this issue fixed? I still get it from time to time and it's super annoying.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In case anyone missed the workaround: right click and reimport any script to fix it.

Not ideal but better than restarting :)

AcidArrow likes this.