Search Unity

EditorVR Critique

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by bfriedman, Jan 25, 2017.

1. bfriedman

bfriedman

I gave the EditorVR a thorough run-through and put together a review/critique here for anyone that's interested.

http://www.fie.us/vr-review-unitys-editorvr-experimental-build/

I assume no-one cares to have the source for my two tools. They're super simplistic. If for some reason there's interest, I can publish to GitHub upon request.

De-Panther likes this.
  2. DylanU

DylanU

Unity Technologies

Hi @bfriedman
    Thank you for testing out EditorVR, and sharing such thoughtful feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed post; this type of feedback is helpful to us as EditorVR develops.

3. karl_

karl_

This is a really well written critique, and having worked with the EditorVR system over the last few weeks I'd agree with just about everything here.

The sections on SpawnDefaultTools and IExclusive mode in particular echo pain points I've noticed during development.

4. habsi70

habsi70

Very well written and inspirational, thank you. Good ideas as well!

5. De-Panther

De-Panther

I liked the idea of contexts.
    I think that there are uses in which VR editor is far better than 2D editor, while there are still lots of uses in which 2D editor is better.

Also, about the gorilla hands - maybe Editing in VR while sitting - some tools that will work well in seated mode.

6. bfriedman

bfriedman

Good news! Editing Contexts are on the way. Currently staged for release in GitHub. Very glad to have worked with the EditorVR team to address my criticism above. See? Open source collaboration is a great thing.

elbows and De-Panther like this.