Search Unity

Editor only components

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hoesterey, Mar 24, 2017.

1. hoesterey

hoesterey

Hi,
    I understand I can use #if UNITY_EDITOR to ensure some component fields don't show up in the build. Is there a way to ensure a entire monobehavior only shows up in editor?

I'd like to add a "note" component to some objects but want it to be removed when the project is built.

Any thoughts on how to make this happen?
    Thanks!

2. andymads

andymads

You could use the PostProcessScene attribute on a method in an editor script which searches and removes the component from game objects. I do this with a couple of editor-only development components.

hoesterey likes this.
  3. hoesterey

hoesterey

Love it thanks!

4. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Actually, all you have to do is set the HideFlags on your MonoBehaviour, like so.

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Reset()
    2. {
    3.     hideFlags = HideFlags.DontSaveInBuild;
    4. }
    In this example I am doing so in Reset, to ensure it is set when you add the script to a GameObject.

All UnityEngine.Objects contain a HideFlags bit mask, meaning you can set this on any Component or GameObject you want to exclude from builds. The only exception being the Transform component, which can not be removed itself without also removing the GameObject it is attached to, since it's a required component of the GameObject.

EZaca, Alaadel and andymads like this.