Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Eclipse Of War MMOFPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TVE, Jun 19, 2013.

1. TVE

TVE

Hello Unity,

$cooltext922083062.png

This is the official forum for Eclipse of War, my mmofps in development. Please be sure to check dates on updates here to ensure it is new.

(6-19-2013)
    Eclipse Of War had been in a break for a while because of school and other business, but is now back and will be updated weekly
    so please keep checking back for more updates.

Old Updates, 1-3

Update 1
    Update 2
    Update 3

(6-19-2013)
    New Update, 4

If you enjoy updates please like and subscribe! :]

(6-19-2013)
    Here are some screen shots-

$Test.png

$XD45Display.png

$cooltext921493890.png

2. roger0

roger0

Nice to see the project back on track. The menus and login screens are looking great. I am anxious to see more gameplay. Good luck.

3. TVE

TVE

Thank you, will post screen shots of map and weapon as they are modeled and textured. I enjoy your game thats in progress too, nice job with the art and gameplay. :]

4. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Why are people afraid to talk on their videos? If you want to look like your serious talk man, talk!... I can't stand text across the screen and seriously lost interest after 1min 3 sec.

5. TVE

TVE

That has nothing to do with fear, it ensures quality for audience understanding, as there is music. This was large update so had a lot of text and I apologize, it will be minimized in next updates. I am sorry this interrupted your experience.

6. TVE

TVE

Hey Unity,

Here is a sneak peak at the newly modeled M4 Carbine, without iron sights. It is just material colored, not a texture yet, that will be next. Enjoy, and let me know what you think! Map sneak peak is coming soon!

$M4L.png

$M4R.png

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. TVE

TVE

Hello Unity,

Here is the updated M4Carbine with Iron Sights! 180 degree Video coming soon of the M4Carbine with texture, Stay tuned!

$M4L.png
    $M4NL.png

8. TVE

TVE

Hey Unity,

Another small update of attachments, more to come!

$M4L.png
    $M4CarbineAtt.png

9. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

Looking good! :p

10. TVE

TVE

Thank you! Working on updating shooting system now, with recoil, shell ejection, and muzzle flash. Then I will update animations, add weapon switching and dynamic moving. Next update will be posted either tuesday or wednesday.

11. Maklaud

Maklaud

Hey,

Some new comments are here :)

Frankly, there are many shooters, I'm a bit tired of this type of games, but anyway you lead, and if you want to make such a game, keep going!

I didn't like the menu, it's full of red, a bit difficult for eyes.
    I also didn't like the pistol - it looks too plaint. Maybe you should add some more details?
    But I liked the M4! Really looks great, especially in the last screen :)

What is the idea of the game? Play against other people in the Internet?
    What other kind of weapons do you want to add? What locations? Will it be possible for players to join into teams and play against other teams?

Keep it up! Will look at some more updates with please! :)

12. TVE

TVE

It takes place during ww3 and will be fighting in locations around the world. Its an mmofps so there is mass multiplayer online. We are deciding about a story for singleplayer still. I will update the xd45 with more detail. As for the menu, that background is the game logo, I may tint it a bit or create new one, thanks. Thanks for the feedback! Gun planned for update beyond this is the ak47. I am to do one gun an update tillfunctions are working better, but theres alot of guns planned. Later today I will post my game plan of how multiplayer works, game modes, and future gameplay.

13. TVE

TVE

Hello Unity,

Here are some videos of the two current weapons, update #5 coming soon, a little more work to do.

Update #5 is just a few days behind schedule because of work and business but will be posted at the latest friday.

Please Like and Subscribe

-The Void Entertainment

14. Maklaud

Maklaud

Can't see the details - use more light in your scenes with the weapons.
    As for the weapons - your M4 has veeeery thin buttstock, it would be hurt to shoot using it ;) It will strike to the shoulder, so you should make it more thick. Look at this, for example.

15. TVE

TVE

Sorry about lighting, trying to show specular in best way. The details are like in the previous photos. The stock is about as thick as I can make it while looking normal with the gun, I will try a few ways to adjust it.

16. dtg108

dtg108

The weapons and menu screens look GREAT! Can't wait to see more.

17. TVE

TVE

Thank you! Will be posting update #5 friday ;) Alot of work being rebuilt and added.

18. TVE

TVE

Alright sorry about Update #5, we decided we would delay it to upgrade some graphics and work on the map. Functions turned out pretty well and we may add some more. Friday this week I promise Update will be added.

Here are some sneak peaks of xd45, I also notice it looks like pics are same side but they are not, blender renders it that way :)

Old Version

$XD45Display.png

New Version

Left Side
    $XD45U1.png

Right Side
    $XD45U2.png

19. dtg108

dtg108

Gun looks smoother now, good work.

20. TVE

TVE

Thank you for the feedback. I am now fixing the stock on the m4 and adjusting the ironsights slightly.

21. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Hello! Game is looking pretty good but I do have a few concerns that you may consider... just trying to provide some constructive criticism and some thought provoking things!

1) Cost. If it is going to be a mass multiplayer game, you're going to have to have good dedicated servers, and that is quite costly. You could go a P2P route, however, the game will only be as stable as the hosts connection, and a standard internet connection won't handle masses of traffic, meaning a dedicated server is more wise. Currently your site is hosted on webs.com, which is fine for temporary, but if you didn't have the funds to get a good host to begin with... or even a domain name... will you be able to fund this?

2) Can you code it? Your game has some complex systems within it: parkour, combat, etc. Your signature says "expert programmer with c#/JS/html/php/dos/vb," however, your website differs from that statement. The website looks like a premade template with some quick edits... that's not pro in HTML/PHP! I'm certainly not saying that you can't do it, just with some of the stuff I've seen, it's a bit discouraging.

I hope that this game does come true, a game with a great combat system and player movement system is sure to do well. So far the models are looking good and so is the basic functionality. I think it would behoove you to look into NGUI for further GUI work, as it looks and performs much better than the built in OnGUI functions.

Good luck, and remember, none of this post is meant to be offensive. I'm just trying to get you thinking and to have a future plan! I look forward to seeing the future of your project! :)

22. TVE

TVE

@xKroniK13x

Very good feedback, it shows me you are interested, thank you!

I will be buying servers and holding them 24/7, as I plan on doing a kick starter and possible donations/investors. (Will receive rewards for any donations)

The website on webs is currently an example template that we will program like but different. I am buying .com, .net, .org, and .info by the end of this week, and should have site up the following week. There is not a lot of stuff on the current template, because it is just an example to see a style we like.

I can code it, I am rebuilding my animation system for dynamic movement, parkour, hand to hand fighting, and seperate animations. The code uses simple animation states that are fussed into basically an animation tree like mecanim.

I will look into NGUI, I am just currently working on example style templates and plan on changing, thanks for the idea.

The expenses for the game will come soon, but I will have to cover include;
    Legal, Internet, Servers, Employee's, and future plans. I have some basic math worked out for the domain names/servers and all is looking good.

Thank you for the kind words, I love feedback, and will proceed with development with some of your suggestions. :]

23. TVE

TVE

I am sorry this is not the Update you were hoping for, however, I do not want to leave you without anything. I am now also a programmer working on Not Dead Enough a zombie survival, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/189229-Not-Dead-Enough-Open-World-Zombie-Survival. Eclipse Of War will continue but updates will be spread out longer than before, I am still working on it and will continue.

Update for Eclipse Of War:

New Shooting system with physics
    Muzzle flash, recoil, shell discharge
    Dynamic movement
    M4 Carbine
    Animation system rebuild with mecanime
    Concept art for 4 characters coming soon (Will post pics)

24. TVE

TVE

Hey,

Here is a small update showing the process I am going through modeling characters, from left to right (Modeling process), now they are ready for rigging and texturing. Will post more pics as I go.

$CharactersInProgress.png

25. e5an

e5an

MMOFPS? That's pretty... eh ambitious. How many simultaneous players have you tested it with to date?
    If the answer is "0", then you're deluding yourself and should abandon the project.

26. TVE

TVE

I have held 10 matches of 16. I know it is ambitious and that is why I am doing it, I like a challenge ;]

27. e5an

e5an

The problem is that to go from OFPS to MMOFPS is non-trivial. 16 players means nothing- Q3A could do that 13 years ago. Try 160 and see what happens. The kind of lag you normally see in an MMORPG, from a world-class company with boundless server capacity, would be unacceptable to most FPS players. Even with all the advanced optimizations they do, it's still more suited to an RPG game where you have direct-hit attacks and area-effect spells than a FPS where you have fast-flying aimed projectiles. If you can write networking code that solves those issues, you don't even need to release Eclipse of War, you could take your demo to Bungie or Blizzard or Activision or whatever and get hired to a six-figure salary on the spot. OTOH, if you can't get hundreds of capsules shooting hundreds of spheres with reasonable lag- which should have been step 1- then all the time spent modeling guns and environments and animating characters is wasted, because you don't have an MMO.

-edit-
    I'm not saying all this to be a jerk, it's just that I hate to see time and talent go to waste. Without the MMO component, you just have another FPS; and you lost the one thing that made the game concept noteworthy. If you could pull it off, you wouldn't be an "expert" programmer, you'd be a legendary programmer. As in, that would seriously get you a senior position at the AAA studio of your choosing, and possibly an official press release from John Romero stating that he is, in fact, your bitch. But just a 16-player, lobby-based FPS war game, pretty much any reasonably intelligent high school student could throw that together with Unity's built-in networking and free tutorial assets. And they are, in droves. And then you're competing against not only them, but the latest Call of Duty and the latest Halo and the latest Crysis and...

But then, seeing that you can make a multi-player game- programming and art and all- out of the 7 billion humans on the planet, there really aren't that many who can do that. So, all you really have to do is do something cool, well within your abilities, that hasn't been seen a thousand times before; a little originality goes a long way.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  28. TVE

TVE

I have had 160 connections at once, I am creating an mmofps and I know what I am doing. I did 10 matches with 16 in each, its max of 8 vs 8. I am not just capsules I have characters and guns and animations. I have not had any lag yet, so we will see how it goes, the next time I am going for 1000 connections. 100 matches of 10. :) stay tuned, multiplayer videos will come soon along with updates.

29. e5an

e5an

Ok, so your definition of "massively multiplayer" differs from mine. Carry on, then. :cool:

30. TVE

TVE

I am sorry, I understand what you mean now. I guess this could be considered an OFPS, I call it an mmo because I plan on having multiple servers with alot of connections. Sorry I didnt understand what you ment. You were trying to say to have 160 people in 1 match, I ment total connections.

Update on characters coming later today*

31. TVE

TVE

Hello Unity,

$EOW.jpg

We have decided to do something huge, a Eclipse Of War Revolution. We are going to create a new Project import our models and redo our scripts from scratch. This is really big and will take a few days to rebuild, but Update #5 will be worth it. Because of the wait we will also create new guns to go in update. We will not post anything until this is done as it will be a huge step up with may more features.

Revolution includes:

New Shooting System (Real bullets, muzzle flash, recoil, shell eject)
    New animation system (Dynamic Movement)
    New Basic Parkour (Simple climbing, rolling, sliding)
    New Basic hand to hand (Basic punching, kicking, blocking)
    Current weapons: M4 Carbine, XD45 ++++++ New weapons: AA-12, HK417, Ump45, Knife/Throwing Knife, Grenade
    New Characters 2 teams, Soldiers and Citizens (Simple placeholders we made but will allow all system to work)
    Upgraded Menu and Multiplayer
    New Map in progress: Liberty (Takes place in New York) +++++++ Future maps planned, Neighborhood (Takes place in San Fransisco), Paradise Islands (Takes place in the Caribbean)

I know you will be thinking, this will take forever, they are rebuilding the whole game. That is TRUE (Rebuilding Game) However it will not take forever, all will be done within a month, we will be working hard for long hours to get back up and press forward in development. All support is welcomed with any ideas and I will be posting TEXT updates with what we are doing/creating each day. :]

Day 1 (7-12-13) : Revolution Begins!

$cooltext921493890.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  32. roger0

roger0

what was wrong with the preexisting project?

33. TVE

TVE

There is nothing wrong with it, we just are going to try and renew the game in a new way, same gameplay and plans, just we want to go about everything in a new organized way. It will develop much faster this way, and have better updates. :] I hope everyone still checks back for TEXT updates because you never know when the real Update #5 will come ;]

34. TVE

TVE

$cooltext922083062.png

Revolution Text Update 1 (7-18-13)

AA-12 (Still finishing)
    Huge Texturing update, Much better now
    Redoing Gun scripts and player scripts
    3 Map blueprints created

If I get 3 comments from separate people I will post some pics of the AA-12 and map layouts, These are sneak previews so there has to be a small challenge. You all have 1 hour to post 3 times, whether feedback, ideas, or just saying you are supporting and or following the game. Thanks!

35. TVE

TVE

Well I can't say I am not disappointed, having gotten no comments, but it is your choice if you want sneak previews or not. :] I will still continue on.