Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v2 is out – Road, rivers, procedural geometry for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Mar 18, 2011.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi studentvz,

The Offset in the shaders is shader code provided by Unity.

If this is primarily device specific I would recommend to report to Unity.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

hi raoul, I have a question, are you planning to enhance the edit tools to improve working with roads and crossings positions and rotations? correct me if I'm wrong, but right now I can't see any straightforward or intuitive way to:

- move/rotate an entire road network to another place
    - multiselect roads and/or crossings and move/rotate freely
    - multiselect roads or crossings and multi edit parameters like resolution, material, sidewalk width etc.

3. raoul

raoul

Hi Cleverlie,

The first two questions are indeed currently not possible. Moving the entire road network is on the list for v3.x. Rotating the road network can be added as well. The same can be done for a selection of roads and crossings.

Rotating might be tricky, what should be the rotation center point?

But all this can already be done through the scripting API if you need it urgently. Get all roads and all crossings, and update the marker positions, etc.

Regarding the last question, it is recommended to work with road types. Assign road types to crossings. As from beta 8.4 changes to road types will update scene instances of that type. Note that there is a small issue with Road Network Refresh and roads / crossings with sidewalks on only one side. The sidewalk may flip. An update with a fix for this will soon be available. Meanwhile this can be fixed by reconnecting the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hi, Is there any way to use GIS road data to generate roads or plans for it? Example: Using Map-ity.

5. raoul

raoul

6. reocwolf

reocwolf

Yes. Do u have a reference to where I can see a tutorial or doc about it. Just trying to see if it will be useful for my purposes.

EDIT:

NVM found it. http://www.unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/general_settings.html#importData

Does it yet work with multiple terrains?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. raoul

raoul

That is indeed the only reference at the moment, it is just a matter of selecting the KML file. A video will probably follow later.

By default the roads are generated relative to the terrain. As you can see in the link, there is the option to provide additional lon/lat bounds. The road objects will be generated relative to these boundaries. This is probably what you want when multiple terrains are involved.

This is what we do, using DEM material for the terrain and OSM data for the roads and paths.

I just checked the code, the bounds are calculated based on all the terrains in the scene. So this should work. But if there is anything missing here for your situation, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  8. reocwolf

reocwolf

9. raoul

raoul

10. txarly

txarly

hi, i am trying the free version before buying the pro one, but after i add the roadobject(had to add the 2 layers too) when i shift+click, just the object flashers,no errors, but no markers added into rhe scene too.I am using multiple tiles for the terrain.
    I can see in the road object for an instant this message"components that are only some of the selected objects cannot be multi-edited""

Looks like unity prioritize the milti selection objects and the markers are not added
    Any help?
    thanks

unity version: 5.6.0f3

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  11. raoul

raoul

Hi txarly,

No markers being added after shift + click is usually related to multiple terrain objects in the scene. Multiple terrains is not fully supported in the free version. Only when markers are added to the terrain referenced by Unity's Terrain.activeTerrain, placing markers will work.

Is your issue related to this?

The free version is still v2, most people with a Pro license use the v3 betas. V3 is an entirely new road system which cannot be compared with v2, https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Multiple terrains are fully supported in both v2 and v3 Pro.

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. txarly

txarly

thanks, i thougt multiple terrains were supported in the free version

13. raoul

raoul

Support for multiple terrains was added upon request in v2.x when people started to use tools like Terrain Composer resulting in multiple terrains. The implementation is not ideal in v2, terrains must be handled one by one, it wasn't added to the free version.

Multiple terrain support in v3 works out of the box.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. txarly

txarly

Ok, i will wait till is launched as i need multiterrain.When will v3 be launch?

thanks again

15. raoul

raoul

The package itself as for v3.0 is ready apart from small optimizations that are being done. What needs to be finished is the new demo project and promotional material for the asset store and videos. I will be away on holiday from mid July. The focus is on releasing it before then.

But the beta package is already part of the current asset store download, the manual includes links to provisional videos. NO need to pay for an upgrade once released. :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

txarly likes this.
  16. AJ-Design

AJ-Design

Hi Raoul,

I have a scene with a complicated road system created in Cinema 4D. It would be hard for me to rebuild it using your assets. But, I would like to use the terrain deformer function of your asset. How can I bring my own roads to a terrain and have the terrain conform to that mesh like it does with your built in road pieces? Is it possible? Can I turn my complete road fbx mesh into one big road piece and have your system treat it as a built in piece?

17. raoul

raoul

Hi AJ-Design,

We have experimented with that but the results were too unreliable to make it public, especially on more narrow roads and terrains with a larger heightmapscale. Here is an old video:

Updating the terrain to the shape of the road was exactly why we started looking into doing all this inside Unity 8 years ago. This manual process was too time consuming and not nearly as accurate as when automating this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

V3: https://forum.unity.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

cc

18. Salja

Salja

Hey i buyed today easyroads but i have a Problem i dont see the EasyRoad3d Tab in the top of unity any ideas already restart unity and I dont have a console error

19. raoul

raoul

Hi Salja,

Unity does no longer allow asset store tools to be positioned in the top menu.

Did you do a standard asset import (v2)? Or did you follow the v3 beta import instructions?

v2: Top Menu > GameObject > Create Other > EasyRoads3D
    v3: Top Menu > GameObject > 3D Objects > EasyRoads3D

It is recommended to start working with v3, it is an entirely different road system and will soon replace v2.Also please check the manual, especially the first Quick Start section. It will explain the basics, also how to add a road network object to the scene through the above menu.

Thanks,
    Raoul

V3: https://forum.unity.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Salja likes this.
  20. Salja

Salja

Thank you :D

21. ksam2

ksam2

Can we use this method to place buildings on terrain?

22. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

That tool isn't part of the package. It is quite an old video, I am not entirely sure how it worked but it was more optimized for road type of shapes, tracing left and right sides of the road.

Doing this for buildings, at least square, rectangular type of buildings, should be fairly simple. I might add an option for this in v3, side object related.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. kadu3d

kadu3d

Please, I'm desperate to test the free version but its not working in Unity 2017.2.0f3: "ArgumentExeption: Owner can't be an array or an interface." - No interface appears on the component...

24. raoul

raoul

Hi kadu3d,

It seems you wrote a review earlier today with the same information. I already asked for more details, what is the full error message and when do you get it?

Note that this is the v2 thread and the free version is indeed also v2. If this is only for testing before getting Pro, for the Pro version you want to use v3, an entirely new road system that cannot be compared with v2. https://forum.unity.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. MargauxB

MargauxB

Hi,
    I am very likely going to buy this asset but first I need to know if it allows me to generate roads at runtime. I want the user to be able to build his own roads in the game. Also I need to know the road curves values.
    Will I be able to achieve my goals with this awesome looking asset?

Thanks,

Margaux

26. raoul

raoul

Hi MargauxB,

This is the v2 thread, v2 does not have runtime functionality. But v3 has:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

V3 includes a scripting API that can be used both the in the Unity editor and at runtime. The full editor functionality is not yet implemented but you can create roads of different types, add crossing objects, connect roads to crossings, disconnect roads, etc. It doesn't have GUI functionality at the moment, that is something for you to add.

I am not certain if that is what you mean, but roads are by default flat from left to right. Additionally, v3 includes the option to import your own models / road shapes. Does that answer your question?

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. MargauxB

MargauxB

Thank you for your fast answer! Sorry I posted in the wrong thread..
    About the curves i did not express myself properly: When creating the road the user must respect a minimum bend radius. If he doesn't, I have to warn him (probably with an error message or something turning red I don't know yet). Can I have access to the bend values?

Have a good day,

Margaux

28. raoul

raoul

Do you mean that the user can only create circular type of curves with straight segments in between? That is possible and it does calculate the radius. Access to that data can be added. The same for the bend angle, that info is also calculated and can be made available through the scripting API. For spline based curves this info is irrelevant and there for not calculated.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. raoul

raoul

Hi Barritico,

These Min indent values are locked to Min values based on your terrain specs, Size vs heightmap resolution. This is done to guarantee the best possible terrain deformation. Using lower values the terrain may break through the road or the road will float above the terrain.

What are you terrain specs?

1 meter away is very close and requires an highly detailed terrain.

Thanks,
    Raoul

30. Barritico

Barritico

Terrain lenght 4096
    width 4096
    height 417
    heightmap resolution 1025
    detail resolution 2048
    detail resolution per patch 128
    control texture resolution 2048
    base texture resolution 2048

I need 1 meter or 2 maximum.

What definition do I need for this?
    ... if possible.

31. raoul

raoul

For your terrain size of 4096x4096 you need heightmap resolution 4097. This will result in a min indent value between 1 and 2 meter.

But 4097 is high and not recommended. You may want to use more and smaller terrain tiles.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. ksam2

ksam2

Is there a way to scale River Surface more wide?

33. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

I think this is v3 related, is that right? https://forum.unity.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

You can do that by activating the node shape handles, the B key. You will see white handles at node positions that can be moved. Holding the shift key will also move all nodes outside the selected node.

The width in general can be changed in the Side Object Manager, in the Shape Editor window of the River Bed and River Surface side objects

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  34. ksam2

ksam2

I knew there is no limitation with easy road :)
    Thank you.

raoul likes this.
  35. krotovd

krotovd

First off, I must say this is an absolutely amazing tool and it seems really powerful. That said, I have something I am trying to do workflow wise and I haven't been able to find videos on how to do it, but I'm sure it is simple and it's just my lack of experience.

I have gone about creating a world in WorldCreator and now I am wanting to build the road on the terrain. As I get to specific locations I want to make little offroads that split from the main single lane road and then rejoin. Like a rest stop you would see on a main highway. What is the proper way of doing this? I am not looking at customizing your prefabs and am fine with using them as is. Do I lay the road throughout the whole world and then add the single lane dirt crossing after? I haven't been able to get it to connect up correctly and assume I am just doing something wrong. I am also interested in adding bridges afterwards where I'm going over water. I have seen in screen shots that all this is possible, but have yet to figure out how to do it in the workflow.

If there is any advice or recommendations, I would love to hear them. Do I need to add different roads as I'm building it out? I currently selected a single lane road, held shift and just started placing markers down through the world. I then thought I would be able to add bridges and stuff after to modify the road further. Is this incorrect?

Thanks in advance!

36. raoul

raoul

Hi krotovd,

Thank you!

This is the v2 thread are you using the default asset import, v2. Or v3 which is included as a separate package?

V2 does not support crossings, v3 does.

Can you show an example of what you want to do? Highway intersections, rest stops are not built-in yet but they can be done by importing your own mesh based intersections into the system.

In the v3 thread recently another user was doing this.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...g-new-road-system.229327/page-82#post-3313466

He sent me the model to test it. Here is the same model integrated in the system with roads attached.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...g-new-road-system.229327/page-82#post-3314575

No textures were included in the package he sent so a simple white material is used, but you see the imported mesh in the center with roads attached.

Is this indeed what you are looking for?

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. krotovd

krotovd

Thanks Raoul. What I was wanting to do can be seen here: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.2166275,-82.3692833,17.75z

However I think you understood me based on the link shared above. I am using V3 so I will check the location in the post. I think that should work perfectly. Is there a way to modify the single lane road that I have added or do I need to add the prefabs while building the road? I will also check out the v3 forums. I will probably find more relevant info there :D Thanks again for your help and such an awesome product!

38. raoul

raoul

Do you mean you already have a road that covers the full length of the rest area?

Two connecton prefabs will have to be inserted. You can split the current road object at these positions. There is a "Split Road at Selected Marker" near the bottom of the marker section in the Inspector. Or you can do Shift + J.
    http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/shortcuts.html

Glad to hear you like it :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. krotovd

krotovd

Well I put a single lane road throughout the whole world terrain I created. I wanted to know if I can now go through and select segments and swap them out for bridges in certain areas as well as now go about splitting the roads and making the rest stop areas?

By the way, the link you shared will help immensely. I even just found the road tools section. This is awesome and will be of great help. I was just watching videos, but there is much more info here. Thanks!

Thanks
    Dan

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  40. raoul

raoul

Yes, in that case indeed split the road object as described in my previous post. You can now insert those connection pieces and connect the road ends to them.

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. krotovd

krotovd

Thanks Raoul. One last thing, I wasn't able to find the off ramp connection pieces you referenced in the link below. I beleive that "Guard_Rail_Left-guardrailMat child prefab" was supposed to be in "/Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/" however I am not seeing that in the latest version I got from the store. Did I misunderstand something? If I have to make it myself, I will look into that, but I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing a shared link to an already provided prefab.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/eas...g-new-road-system.229327/page-82#post-3314575

Also as I select the handles on my road, when I select jsut one handle and change the road type, it changes the whole road. Is there a way for me to change just the segments for the handles I selected?

Thanks again for all your help here! I look forward to taking advantage of it throughout my future projects.

Dan

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  42. raoul

raoul

Hi Dan,

Those links show how this currently can be done. As mentioned, the assets were sent to us by the user, they are not included in the package.

We may include some examples after v3 is released. But the idea is too add this to the build-in connection options, customizable and based on road types.

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hello,

I am getting the following error when trying to build a project with a 2000m2 terrain and a few long EasyRoads. If I remove some of the roads, the error does not occur. Any idea what is the cause of this?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Error building Player: Shader error in 'EasyRoads3D/Terrain/ER Terrain Mesh Tesselation': maximum ps_5_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at line 147 (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Fragment program with POINT_COOKIE SHADOWS_CUBE
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    Best regards,
    Tony

44. raoul

raoul

Hello sharkapps,

Can you give more details about your project?

It appears you have the full demo project package imported in your own project?

This package includes a more advanced shader: ER Terrain mesh Tesselation, targeting shader model 4.6, it is used on the terrain rock detail mesh in the demo scene. From your message it appears you are not using this so it can be removed safely from the project: /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/shaders/Misc/ER TerrainMesh Tesselation.

But I belief this shader doesn't use 16+ textures implied by the message, it uses 14 textures.

Also, it is recommended to import the demo project in a new Unity project. It is mainly intended to get familiar with the tool, all the options and features. It includes tutorials links.

If there assets in the demo scene you like to use in your own project you can export / import them. This way your develeopment project will have a clean EasyRoads3D package import without unused assets.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Raoul

v3: https://forum.unity.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  45. Barritico

Barritico

I had this problem and I put it in this forum. The only solution that worked for me was to delete the .shader file

I have 9 textures in my project. I use CTS.

In case it helps.

Regards

46. sharkapps

sharkapps

Thanks @raoul and @Barritico! I removed the shader and now it builds without errors.

Also, @raoul, thank you for mentioning how to properly use the demo project. I had been just importing the whole project and then importing EasyRoads v3 on top of it. Clearly that is what is leading to some of my troubles.

Best regards,
    Tony

47. raoul

raoul

Hi Tony,

The demo project still uses the latest beta build. Importing the v3.0 build on top of it will actually update it to the latest version so that is all good.

The demo project will soon be updated to the latest version and will also include new examples, like rivers. And after that more updates will follow. If you keep all this in a separate project you can simply import the updates in that project, have a look at it and optionally copy over new road types, side objects etc if you want to use them.

This way the EasyRoads3D Pro updates will be small, the core tool only, fast imports in your development projects.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello raoul

I just started with easy road, and here my issue, i can t lower the road intend, wich is super width

Attached Files:

49. raoul

raoul

Hello Samuel,

EasyRoads3D updates the terrain to match the road shape. In order to do this in the most accurate way enough terrain points must exist near the road to avoid the road floating above the terrain or the terrain popping through the road.

Because it is impossible to add detail points to the terrain EasyRoads3D uses these indent values. The minimum required indent value depends on your terrain specs, heightmap resolution vs terrain size. What are these values for your terrain? A minimum indent of around 50 sounds like a low resolution terrain. Or do you have terrains with different resolutions in your scene?

Thanks,
    Raoul

v3 thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/ :)

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok, so i was using another terrain on top of the other with osm texture, to do the roads, and this was messing with the actual terrain. Now i have a Lower intend, my terrain is 4k resolution and 17 large.

It seems i can't change the indent after i make the road, or only individual point.

Also i had to export my Mapmagic terrain to unity terrain cause i can t spawn road on it

v3 look good, i will probably get it when its release ;) Ho wait, i have the V3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2019