Search Unity

EasyRoads3D v2 is out – Road, rivers, procedural geometry for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Mar 18, 2011.

1. raoul

raoul

Ok, this is v2 which was created in 2011,2012, it could very well be that V starts on the new segment on the equivalent within the 0..1 range so the texture smoothly continuous on the next segment, for example 19.3 on the last segment continuous as 0.3 on the new segment. Is that what is causing issues for your specific shader?

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. mkgame

mkgame

It is for all custom road shader a problem, which tries to blend the ends of the segments. But if it works correctly on V3, then forget the problem.

Thanks!

3. raoul

raoul

Hi mkgame,

This specific implementation exists since 2011 / 2012, you are the first reporting issues with this regarding your custom shader.

This UV optimization is done as an automatic fix for possible inaccuracies on specific devices, certainly for longer roads on iOS in the past. You can most likely find related info on this in this thread.

V3, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/, currently does not have a “split road in LOD segments” option. In v3 it is less likely this will be required since the use of crossings / connection will already split roads in segments. If it will be added I will make sure to have this UV optimization implemented as optional.

If you want I can send you a build for v2 that will preserve the original UVs on LOD segments.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. Brocan

Brocan

Hi!

I'm doing a test truck with 3 types of road asphalt: a smooth one, a bumpy one and one with sand/dust. What is the best way to achieve? doing 3 different roads? if this is the case, how i can blend the edges of each one? or i can do it with only one road configuring the marker properties?

Thanks in advance!

5. raoul

raoul

Hi Brocan

How do you want to blend the road types? With detail or like the terrain texturing works by blending textures?

What is currently possible in v2 is blending the asphalt tracks with sand/dust tracks. The package includes a shader that can blend in / out tracks with additional blend distance controls in the Inspector. This way you can blend asphalt tracks with dirt tracks.

You may want to switch to v3 http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/ , the beta package is part of the asset store download. Most people use the betas, it is fairly stable and not far from release.

V3 has similar blend options but v3 also supports crossings / connectors. You could for example use connectors for the road blending. This way you can add a detailed texture to the connection object. The asphalt texture is connected at one end, the dirt track is connected to the other end.

One way or another V3 will also include additional blend options so you can blend several textures on the same road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Brocan likes this.
  6. muratmenevse

muratmenevse

I have read the description and other parts but I could not notice. Is the asset support mobile devices? And do we need a terrain to build the roads?

7. raoul

raoul

Hi muratmenevse,

You can build for mobile devices. Regarding performance, you have full control over the geometry resolution and which shaders you want to use.

V2 requires a terrain object in the scene during development. Both v2 and v3 are optimized to work with the unity terrain object regarding terrain deformation, flattening the terrain according the road shape. You will lose this feature with mesh terrains. Many people, including we ourselves, use the unity terrain object as the base. When the road network is done the terrain is exported and optimized.

Alternatively you can use the side object system to create terrain mesh overlays following the road and snapping to the mesh terrain on the outer side.

Thanks,
    Raoul

v3 thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

8. Brocan

Brocan

Thanks! there was a project build with v2, so i will end with that. The next project will use v3 for sure.

One last question, is there any kind of way for put the car again in the track? tipical "Press enter to put the car again in the track". How this can be achieved? computing the nearest distance to road? or maybe to nearest two markers?

Thanks in advance!

9. raoul

raoul

Hi Brocan,

In v3 you have access to the spline data through the API. You can indeed use this to put the car back on the track by searching for the nearest point. This will probably be implemented anyway.

For v2 a small unitypackage is available that can be used to have an object follow the road. Part of this is exporting the spline data, you can probably use this package as a starting point to achieve the same. Please pm/email me including your email address if you want me to send this package.

Thanks,
    Raoul

10. Brocan

Brocan

Thanks for your fast response. I'll check the v3, you are convincing me, haha. Is there any way of update my v2 roads without re-do it again in v3?

11. raoul

raoul

v3 is an entirely new road system so indeed v2 roads will not work in v3.

But a script is available that will create v3 roads from v2 roads, this does not include side objects.

I would certainly recommend to check v3 :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. Brocan

Brocan

I'm not using side objects, so... ok! i'm gonna make a backup and test the conversion... :eek:

Edit: uhm... where is the script or how can convert the data? i cannot find anything o_O

Edit2: por cierto, me pareció leer en tu perfil que eres español, no? felicidades por el gran trabajo en EasyRoads ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  13. raoul

raoul

The script I mentioned is not part of the package. Can you PM me your email address or email me, I will send it to you.

Muchas gracias! Si vivimos en Espana :) pero somos de Holanda

Raoul

14. Brocan

Brocan

At the end ported to v3 manually. Around 150 markers between the three road types. See you in V3 thread :D

raoul likes this.
  15. ChrispyTwitch

ChrispyTwitch

Hi there

I've downloaded EasyRoads Pro through the Asset Store. I'm now trying to get the side objects to work. From what I've read, I need to download them from the EasyRoads website, but to do so I need a serial number. When I look in the _Readme file in the root directory of the EasyRoads package there is no information about my serial number, only info about the v2 and v3 content being placed in the same folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

16. raoul

raoul

Hi Chris,

The side object system in v2 was always intended as a framework that you can use with your own assets, that is why no side objects are part of the package itself. Indeed we have an example package available on our website. To get access, could you email me your asset store order number?

But it is recommended to check ut the v3 beta, it is included as a separate package in the asset store download. V3 is an entirely new road system and the package does have side object examples included. It is not far from release, most people already use it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. BortStudios

BortStudios

I really like the road making ability of this product, but is it possible to get the spline information from the roads I make? I have a train which is set up to ride along a spline, and while the paths I make with this asset look nice, they are useless for me if I don't have their actual spline information

18. raoul

raoul

Hi BortStudios,

Glad to hear you like it!

Are you indeed still using v2?

The v3 beta, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/ , is part of the asset store download as a separate package, check the _Readme file in the "EasyRoads3D" root directory. , Most people are already using the v3 beta.

As for your question, for v2 a separate script is available which you can use to extract spline info. Please send me a pm with your email address and your asset store order number if you like to try that.

In v3 you can do all this through the included scripting API which runs both at runtime as in the Unity editor.

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. BortStudios

BortStudios

Actually I had not yet purchased it and was just playing around with the demo. I just wanted to make sure that extracting the spline information was possible before purchasing - I am glad to see it is. Very excited to purchase it and try it out with v3!

raoul likes this.
  20. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Hey @raoul.

I've been wondering if there is a way to refresh the terrain shape before building the road network. Right now, I've sculpted a terrain closely to the track, and needs to be flattened by the track in order to perfectly conform itself. The way I did this, was that I first did a conform to get the general heights, and after I made smoother transitions and raised the rest of the terrain. The problem is that now when I want to make a second terrain conform, it still goes all the way to the bottom. The white surfaces do not adapt to the new terrain shape.

Is there a way to do that? to refresh the terrain?

Or maybe just a workaround. Please let me know. Cheers!

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  21. raoul

raoul

Hey Alberto,

When you move a road marker a little bit (or General Settings > Scene Settings > Refresh Road Network if you have many roads in the scene) those White surfaces should adapt to the updated terrain. Is that not working for you?

Btw. looking at your scene you are using v3, this is the v3 thread. V3, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. ldl01031

ldl01031

Hi. I'd like to build paths that go up and over hills/mountains, yet never get so steep that they can't be walked on. In other words, I'd like to specify an angle of say 30 degrees and have the path maintain that angle (cutting into and over the mountain as appropriate - flattening out when appropriate as well). Is this possible? The terrain tools available in Unity seem much too primitive to do this manually in a quality way - but maybe I just need more practice and patience? If your product could do this, I'd be very happy, but I haven't found the right combination of parameters to make it behave this way.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  23. raoul

raoul

Hi ldl01031,

V2, this thread, doesn't really provide additional info / options for this.

V3, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/, currently doesn't allow you to specify a fixed angle either but you can see the angle inclination per marker in the Inspector which you can use as a reference while creating your paths.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

24. ldl01031

ldl01031

Thanks - didn't notice this was the V2 thread. I'll check into your suggestion.

25. Pingu2

Pingu2

So, after my mistake on the V3 thread, here I am :
    I'm (for the moment) using the V2 free version :

I need to create a road, during runtime. Copying the markers is suffisant on PC, and my road is looking good on Unity.
    But on Android... No road updated :

With ADB :

Could not create directory: //EasyRoads3D/RoadCreator System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/EasyRoads3D" is denied.
    I/Unity ( 6424): at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x00058] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:135
    I/Unity ( 6424): at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x0009a] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:96
    I/Unity ( 6424): at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Create () [0x00000] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/DirectoryInfo.cs:141
    I/Unity ( 6424): at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.DirectoryInfo:Create ()
    I/Unity ( 6424): at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x00023] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:116
    I/Unity ( 6424): at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x0009a] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:96

RoadCreator is the name of my object with the "RoadObjectScript"
    I suppose it's because of the "backupFolder" but...

I know that this asset is not, initially, made to be used in runtime, but I really need to add markers during runtime.
    It's just that it's working on PC / Unity editor, but not on build

26. Markus-M

Markus-M

Trying out the free version - fantastic tool. Having a bit of trouble with the Splatmap feature though - I've got a terrain built from an imported heightmap. I've drawn a road on it and applied it so the terrain has deformed. I'm then unselecting 'Render' to stop the road itself being rendered, and choosing "Apply Splatmap" with the appropriate texture ... but nothing's happening. I've checked the exported splatmap and it's empty too.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

27. Gphysono

Gphysono

I'm new to EasyRoads and hope this is a simple question - how do you join two roads (without using an intersection object) in v3?

Thanks!

28. raoul

raoul

Strange, never received notifications of these latest posts until the one of today!

V2 is not really build to support road creation at runtime. Certainly for Android it is recommended to use the Finalize option before the final build.

V3 includes a scripting API that also works at runtime and can be used to create roads from code.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  29. raoul

raoul

I think the splatmap option is not part of the Free version.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  30. raoul

raoul

Hi Gphysono,

You can join 2 roads in v3 when they are of the same road type. If you select the start / end markers of both roads that you want to connect you will see a "Join Roads" button in the Inspector (or Shift + J). That should connect both roads. What is required is that the geometry of both roads matches, also regarding possible sidewalks switched off / on.

V3 thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/page-53 :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. imDanOush

imDanOush

I can't understand this LOD system. Since I am too worried about LODs, would you please make a video of whole proccess aboout the qouted text. (Taken from EasyRoads Manual).
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  32. raoul

raoul

Hi D4N005H,

This is about toggling on "New LOD segment" for markers. It simply splits the roads in pieces at the specific markers. When using the export option, a .obj will be created grouped per road section. So you can export low and higher resolution versions of each section and use this with Unity's LODGroup system. Is that more clear?

More important I think, note that this is v2 related, most people are using the v3 betas which is not far from being released, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Thanks,
    Raoul

33. imDanOush

imDanOush

Yes and thank you. Can't wait for the final version of the V3.

34. raoul

raoul

Ok, v3 itself is about ready, the betas are already part of the asset store download. Currently time is spend on the new demo project and additional assets, more side objects and textures. It is not far from release.

So, to anyone, if you want to take advantage of the current pre release price of only $45, get it now :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

imDanOush likes this.
  35. imDanOush

imDanOush

@raoul I recently got the V3 beta and I can't believe how easy and awesome this version of Easy Road is.. I've been working with 3DsMax for around 8 years and make roads via 3DS Max for 2 years but I want to switch to work with Easy Roads 3 as soon as possible!!, I mean look how easy it makes LOD groups and Side objects. This asset definitely worth every penny. Unity should hire Raul and the guy who made RTP terrain shader.

But I have some question:
    1. How is it possible to make LOD groups for the custom and dynamic connections?
    2. How is it possible to add road bumps and noise (it was possible for the V2 but I can't find any button for it in the V3).
    3. I know some features are not enabled and ER v3 tells me that they will be supported in next beta releases, but I want to know when will the final version come?.
    4. I'd like to suggest adding a feature that makes it possible to change road width at runtime (and not via custom connections)., Look at the image below for more info about this suggestion.

36. raoul

raoul

Hi D4N005H,

Thank you very much! Glad to hear you like v3 :) - v3 thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

This is not yet possible. When it comes to roads / crossings literally there are an endless number of variations possible. So first things first. In the case of dynamic crossings, generally the geometry should not be too complex, so LODgroups for crossings does have a little bit less priority at the moment. It is definitely on the list though.

I have never tested this but for custom crossings you could experiment with this yourself on the generated prefab in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/. I am not sure though how the high resoluton version will act with the LODGroups component. This uses a cloned mesh because the normals at the connections adjust to the attached road shape. This obviously will be different per connection.

This is not added yet because contrary to v2, crossings have to be taken into account. Currently subdivision (required for this) is not yet supported on roads connected to dynamic crossings. This will be added though. Also looking at your last question which is related, this could already be done using custom roads shapes / connections and additional code that will add the bumps / noise.

Which features are your referring at regarding next beta releases? The v3.0 feature set is about ready and active in the current beta. Most work is currently done on additional resources / assets. When I mention that something is on the list, this does not necessarily mean v3.0. As mentioned when it comes to roads / crossings the possebilities are endless, it is impossible to have that done in v3.0 and have that ready "tomorrow" :)

This is custom road shapes related as subdivision is required. Currently road shapes cannot yet be defined manually and standard roads will only have vertices on the left and right. But you can create a simple mesh in 3DS Max that looks like the first example on the left, or better, create custom crossings with connections that look like that if you need crossings. Import these prefabs in the system, roads attached or pulled out from that prefab will inherit the road shape. Afterwards you can activate road shape node changes per markers, the N Key (http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/shortcuts.html). You can now change the road shape per marker and have shapes like the next 3 examples on that same road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

imDanOush likes this.
  37. imDanOush

imDanOush

The ones that is shown on the consoles. Not a big deal tho, because I think - according to your reply - I can make all the custom roads as "custom connections" and use them. This also might be faster than creating +2000 KM roads in 3DS Max alone.

Thanks for your reply.

38. raoul

raoul

I am still not sure which features you mean, but if you are waiting for soemthing speciic, please let me know so I can perhaps provide more info on that.

Yes, I would recommend to experiment with the custom prefab system. Just make something simple in 3DS Max and follow the below process.

And let me know if something is not clear or if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

imDanOush likes this.
  39. imDanOush

imDanOush

I meant the stuffs that are sent in the console, like the one that is shown below.
    EDIT: I think I only saw this one and not more.

40. raoul

raoul

Yes, that is indeed not done yet apart from X shape. That will be v3.x just like a dedicated Y shape solution that is already being worked on. Apart from that everything in the Inspector should indeed be functional.

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. imDanOush

imDanOush

Okay, but I can make a cutom Y shape via custom connections (and 3DS Max), right?

42. raoul

raoul

Yes, exactly, just like other X type of crossings. That is why this has a little bit less priority for the official 3.0 release. The final v3 demo project will also include custom connection types covering this. These assets can all be used in your own road networks as well.

Expanding the currently dynamic built-in crossing options has the highest priority after the 3.0 release though.

Thanks,
    Raoul

imDanOush likes this.
  43. antoripa

antoripa

Hi @raoul
    before buy your asset, I would like to know if it works in run time ( something like I have a list of points to give in input and let's create the road ).
    Thanks

44. raoul

raoul

Hi antoripa,

v2, this thread, does not work at runtime.

V3 however, which is an entirely new road system, incudes a scripting API that does work both in the editor as at runtime. Most people use the v3 beta which is stable for production and part of the asset store download as a separate package. V3 is not far from being released and is included in the current Pro license.

The scripting API, creating roads at runtime, is a topic at the moment in the v3 forum thread.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

Thanks,
    Raoul

45. lezan_

lezan_

Hello, I am trying to make a river with EasyRoads3D, v2. After a quick video I tried to make it, but for some reason markers does not follows terrain.
    Screenshot attached. Immagine.png
    Can you suggest something? What kind of information can be useful to give you?
    I also check here, but cannot resolve.
    Actualy the only solution is to insert markers (and not adding them) and reposition them.
    Thanks.

46. raoul

raoul

Hi lezan_,

Because of the angle of the sreenshot it is a bit hard to see what is going on?

Do you mean that Shift + Click for adding new markers does not snap the marker to the terrain?

When moving markers you can hold the CTRL key, in that case the marker will snap to the terrain at the new position.

Also, this is v2, It is very much recommended to switch to the v3 beta which is part of the asset store download as a separate package. Although v3 does not have a dedeciated river object, rivers can be simulated using side objects, you will have more control over the riverbed shape. The Main demo scene includes a small river example.

Thanks,
    Raoul

V3 thread: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/easyroads3d-v3-the-upcoming-new-road-system.229327/

47. lezan_

lezan_

Correct.
    Sorry for the screenshot, but I did not know what angle was the best to see the issue.

I will try that for now.

Okay, I just switch to the beta version and I am trying to do something with that. I think I will post something on v3 thread, 'cause I need help!

Thanks raoul.

48. raoul

raoul

Ok, have a look at the river in the main demo scene. It uses two Shape type of side objects, one for the riverbed and one for the surface. You can see the setup of both side objects in the Side Object Manager.

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Raoul, hows things.

OK I am working with your latest V3 Beta.

I cant seem to get the terrain to deform to roads.

As a test I created a new project and just put in my terrains + ER3 - no deforms.
    I removed my terrain and added a blank unity terrain -same results.

I removed ER3 and replaced with ER2 - ER2 deforms my terrain.

Could you check if there is a problem with latest ER3 release please.
    If not not perhaps I can send you project so you can test.

Gus

50. raoul

raoul