Search Unity

Does unity support the WebVR API?

Discussion in 'Web' started by h_pauwelyn, Mar 22, 2017.

1. h_pauwelyn

h_pauwelyn

I'll create a little game with WebVR. I've found that it use an experimental Javascript API that detect the headset and renders the frames.

I've found serveral Javascript libraries like A-frame, React VR and Primore VR. This libraries aren't easy to create high quality objects with reflections.

Now I think to try Unity for WebVR. Is that possible to use that APIs instead of the default Unity API?
    Today I go do recearch if it's possible or not. I'll also know if there is anyone that have already done that or not so we could share our experiance.

I come to this question from one year ago posted on this forum and the answer was:

Now I'm thinking does Unity support WebVR (now one year later)?

2. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

We have done some experiments internally but we don't support it yet. One of the reasons is that WebVR is still an experimental API.

Ewanuk likes this.
  3. pgeorges-dpt

pgeorges-dpt

What about now?

4. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Still no.

5. tonialatalo

tonialatalo

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are there more people that have tried this out? I feel like this may not be a trustworthy solution. We are currently poking around a-frame instead.

7. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Really wish there was more progress on this front, even if it's just experimental.

JeffreyBennett likes this.
  8. DePriestEnterprises

DePriestEnterprises

OK, it's 2018 now, any new progress on this? I'm also looking at frameworks and would like a comprehensive assessment of the options available. Is React VR the way to go or does Unity3D play nice with WebVR now?

9. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

You may want to check this out: https://forum.unity.com/threads/webgl-and-webvr.390445/#post-3302242